The Watering Hole

Can someone tell me how to do a "screen shot" (Andy). I have something cool to show you guys :thumbsup:

Press the "Prnt Scrn" (or similar button) on your keyboard. That takes a snapshot of everything on the desktop and puts it "in" the clipboard. You can then "Paste" it into any editing program (paint/photoshop etc). Then edit and save it as a jpg or whatever

Press the "Prnt Scrn" (or similar button) on your keyboard. That takes a snapshot of everything on the desktop and puts it "in" the clipboard. You can then "Paste" it into any editing program (paint/photoshop etc). Then edit and save it as a jpg or whatever

You may have to do a Shift + Prt Scn at the same time. Open you favorite photoshop type software and paste it on in.

Nitro

OK, we should've taken your advice twoshort. :rolleyes: At 6:30, went to Blue Water Grill on Northland, 1 hour wait, no way! (we have 20-30 minute wait threshold), went to The Melting Pot, no seats in the Dining Room, no way to tell us how long, recommended that we make reservation, WTF! see ya!! Went to Mangiamo's (where I wanted to go originally), place was PACKED!, 45 minute wait (by now 7:25), no way! Went to Johnny Carino's, food sucked, service sucked, good company, good Shiraz, didn't eat until 8:15. Judson's next time :thumbsup:

OK, we should've taken your advice twoshort. :rolleyes: At 6:30, went to Blue Water Grill on Northland, 1 hour wait, no way! (we have 20-30 minute wait threshold), went to The Melting Pot, no seats in the Dining Room, no way to tell us how long, recommended that we make reservation, WTF! see ya!! Went to Mangiamo's (where I wanted to go originally), place was PACKED!, 45 minute wait (by now 7:25), no way! Went to Johnny Carino's, food sucked, service sucked, good company, good Shiraz, didn't eat until 8:15. Judson's next time :thumbsup:

What are you doing cruising the 'burbs? Bring that money of yours and go downtown. Haven't you learned anything from this board? :P

So how many have the (dis)pleasure of working today??

I do. Booo. 131 South was at about half capacity this morning, I'd say it's going to be a quiet day around here.

Jeff: It's too bad you had a bad experience at Johnny Carino's. I've only eaten there once but the food was really good and service was fine too (we actually just sat at the bar because it was toooo busy).

Daddy, I love people like you. I used to serve as a manager at a (still) hot Downtown restaurant. Guests come in, see that its a 45 minute wait (OHMYGOSH!), and leave, only to wander around and find a place with less of a wait, & by the TIME they do, they could have had a table at my place.

So you Daddy-O, go to BWG at 6:30 pm, don't want to wait & leave. Had you stayed, you would have been sat at 7:30pm. Instead you wasted 1 hr 45 min traveling all around the east side, only to end up at a big chain restaurant with bad food & service.

Oh yeah, thanks for saying hi when you stopped in Mangiamo's. I was at the bar with the big guy.

Daddy, I love people like you. I used to serve as a manager at a (still) hot Downtown restaurant. Guests come in, see that its a 45 minute wait (OHMYGOSH!), and leave, only to wander around and find a place with less of a wait, & by the TIME they do, they could have had a table at my place.

So you Daddy-O, go to BWG at 6:30 pm, don't want to wait & leave. Had you stayed, you would have been sat at 7:30pm. Instead you wasted 1 hr 45 min traveling all around the east side, only to end up at a big chain restaurant with bad food & service.

Oh yeah, thanks for saying hi when you stopped in Mangiamo's. I was at the bar with the big guy.

It's the principle of it. We just don't think any restaurant is worth that long of a wait. The long waits are just a ploy to make people THINK that the place is worth it (I used to work in the restaurant industry). Olive Garden, for instance, has a corporate goal of 35 - 45 minutes at peak dinnertime, so they'll staff just enough people to make that happen, even if it means closing sections (at least that's how they used to work). We should have known better than to go to BWG. We've gone in there before and they had a two hour wait :rofl: "Yah right, your food's not THAT good." I'll quit my beotching.

Some guy neither of us recognized said hi to us at Mangiamo's. Was that the "big guy" you were with? :P

The long waits are just a ploy to make people THINK that the place is worth it (I used to work in the restaurant industry). Olive Garden, for instance, has a corporate goal of 35 - 45 minutes at peak dinnertime, so they'll staff just enough people to make that happen, even if it means closing sections (at least that's how they used to work).

PLEASE tell me you are kidding. That has to be the second-dumbest thing I've ever heard

No, I am not kidding. The big chains do a lot of market research, and research shows that most people will wait up to about 45 minutes for dinner. If they had enough tables so that everyone could just walk in and sit down, the restaurant would be enormous and they would not be profitable. Every Olive Garden (back in the mid-90's), had exactly 60 tables. Research showed that the average meal there was about 1 1/2 hours, so each name added to the list was quoted 1.5 minutes/name. 30 people on the list = 45 minute wait. Their goal was to have 30 people on the waiting list from about 6:30 to 7:45 or so. It also adds to the "buzz" if you have to wait to be seated, like "this place MUST be good, look at all the people waiting!". Blue Water Grill always has a wait because they only have about 20 tables in the Dining Room, and people probably eat longer there.

And that's why we won't wait 45 minutes for a restaurant. :thumbsup:

It's the principle of it. We just don't think any restaurant is worth that long of a wait. The long waits are just a ploy to make people THINK that the place is worth it (I used to work in the restaurant industry). Olive Garden, for instance, has a corporate goal of 35 - 45 minutes at peak dinnertime, so they'll staff just enough people to make that happen, even if it means closing sections (at least that's how they used to work). We should have known better than to go to BWG. We've gone in there before and they had a two hour wait :rofl: "Yah right, your food's not THAT good." I'll quit my beotching.

I disagree with you on this one. Okay, maybe they do that at the OG & other chains, but my place Downtown, which was not the case. We didn't even take reservations, only walk-ins, and the seating is visible to all, so no "closed" sections here. Plus from a server's point, they want to turn their tables, its more cash. We could not help it if for the 200 seats we had, 400 people wanted them between 6:30-11pm on weekends.

Next time, keep your favorite places numbers on your cell phone. That way, if you have a long wait at one place, you can call & check the waits at other places. It might help you realize that you

No, I am not kidding. The big chains do a lot of market research, and research shows that most people will wait up to about 45 minutes for dinner. If they had enough tables so that everyone could just walk in and sit down, the restaurant would be enormous and they would not be profitable. Every Olive Garden (back in the mid-90's), had exactly 60 tables. Research showed that the average meal there was about 1 1/2 hours, so each name added to the list was quoted 1.5 minutes/name. 30 people on the list = 45 minute wait. Their goal was to have 30 people on the waiting list from about 6:30 to 7:45 or so. It also adds to the "buzz" if you have to wait to be seated, like "this place MUST be good, look at all the people waiting!". Blue Water Grill always has a wait because they only have about 20 tables in the Dining Room, and people probably eat longer there.

And that's why we won't wait 45 minutes for a restaurant. :thumbsup:

Wow. Most of the places where we have dinner don't have a wait. Many times we will go early to avoid having to wait too. Sometimes I don't mind a short wait if I can sit at the bar and drink, but I hate just sitting around the entrance.