The Watering Hole

Dude, we need more fountains. That's all I have to say:
I have actually been thinking about that lately. Fountains seem to have a life or vibrancy of their own; it attracts people to areas too. One security guard patroling the fountain at the Gerald R. Ford Pres. Museum said that he would much rather be around the fountain there than at the calder which "has no life of its own." Maybe when the government buildings are re-developed the Calder could have some spectacular fountains which perform with music like the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. That would be cool. B)

bel_gate_photo.jpg

I have actually been thinking about that lately. Fountains seem to have a life or vibrancy of their own; it attracts people to areas too. One security guard patroling the fountain at the Gerald R. Ford Pres. Museum said that he would much rather be around the fountain there than at the calder which "has no life of its own." Maybe when the government buildings are re-developed the Calder could have some spectacular fountains which perform with music like the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. That would be cool. B)

bel_gate_photo.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh oh! We better start a new topic Josh :)

Duba's is closing, what do you think that means for developement out at East Beltline and Interstate 96. I have a feeling that even if they tear the restaurant down, something will go in there quickly, the east beltlin is on fire when it comes to developement, it's truely the only real boulevard in the metro area, no other thoroughfare is designed to handle that much traffic. To bad they didn't take that into consideration when they redid alpine all those years back, i dont think anyone expected it to be busier than E.B.

Boy did that turn into a pointless rant

Duba's is closing, what do you think that means for developement out at East Beltline and Interstate 96.  I have a feeling that even if they tear the restaurant down, something will go in there quickly, the east beltlin is on fire when it comes to developement,  it's truely the only real boulevard in the metro area, no other thoroughfare is designed to handle that much traffic.  To bad they didn't take that into consideration when they redid alpine all those years back, i dont think anyone expected it to be busier than E.B.   

Boy did that turn into a pointless rant

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perfect for the Watering Hole :P Actually, Northpointe Bank is building their new headquarters in front of Duba's as we speak (well not at this hour). They have also gone for approval of a hotel and another office building (I believe).

Has anyone tried Olive in EGR? It just opened. Heard it was good. They *ALMOST* did a good job renovating that building but they forgot the top half.

Speaking of Olives, I also like Olive Expess downtown. If you haven't tried it yet they have great food. Cheap too!

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ate brunch there last Sunday noon--menu choice of about 12 items, about half breakfast fare, about half lunch sandwiches--great choice of brunches. The place was only half full, and the waitresses were only going about half-speed and not too attentive, but hey, noone had an appointment to rush anywhere on Sunday. Firehouse Grill next door was closed, but hear rumors they will also open on Sundays after construction :)

Indeed, that is a nice one! Although you can't really "pick up" anything on Morris for cheap ;)

I have my hands full with two houses as is (one to sell, one to renovate). I'd explode with a third...

Joe

joeDowntown:  Since you live bungalows so much, perhaps you should pick this one up @ 521 Morris SE.  I just saw it on heritagehillweb.org and thought I'd show ya!

2003 Photo, and 1969 Photo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since this is the off-topic place, did anyone notice that we are only 1000 or so posts behind the Detroit forum?  Not bad for our town...  must be good things happening here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: That's so funny that you mention that, mgreven. I was just looking at that the other day and thinking our Replies/Topics ratio was way better than theirs, almost double, and we are catching up fast!

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showforum=52

This reply gets us even closer :P

You know what I like about the UP - GR forum? The fact that you don't HAVE to register to view the posts. Some of the other areas on this forum seem so exclusive that you have to register (or login) to read anything. Ours feel more inviting :P I don't know why some are like that and others are not??

Does anyone else read the UP articles posted on the main page? About 2 weeks ago they had an article about the lack of jobs in the Midwest and a plan to clean up the great lakes and subsequently locate the environmental clean-up industry in the Midwest. Anyway.... The article said that Steelcase was one of the companies pushing for something like $20Billion to launch the project and that they were having some kind of discussion about it last week here in GR on the 8th and 9th. I never heard any local news follow up and I wondering if anyone here heard anything or has any knowledge about this. I tracked down the article here it is.

Edited by GaryP

You know what I like about the UP - GR forum?  The fact that you don't HAVE to register to view the posts.  Some of the other areas on this forum seem so exclusive that you have to register (or login) to read anything.  Ours feel more inviting  :P  I don't know why some are like that and others are not??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me and my big mouth <_< I guess the good thing is that all of the lurkers around will have to register now to hear our ranting. Expect a big spike :)

Edited by GRDadof3

What does "Warn" mean, on the left side, below my profile? There's a row of empty squares, and a "0%." What's it all about, Alfie?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been wondering the same thing about mine. I have five blue boxes :o I have never received a warning, except when I was posting entire articles way back when everyone else was, and it was more like a gentle reminder :thumbsup:

Survey has switched now^^ :P

For those of you who like to read what other cities are doing, I refer again to Kansas City. This article talks about where they were just 5 years ago to today (from a realtor's perspective):

http://www.downtownkc.org/content.aspx?pgI...301&exCompID=82

It's interesting to note that they also have a "Hospital Hill" (they call it):

LifeNet-Downtown.jpg

http://www.trumed.org/default.aspx?FID=19

Edited by GRDadof3

Hi All!!      I'm a long time reader but brand new poster. I was forced into it  :angry:  looking forward to contributing!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you make it sound like your staying at your grandparents house who smell like the chemicals used to keep dentures clean.

Edited by snoogit