The Watering Hole

Hey, if Gary Busey can reform so can Roethlisberger.............it usually takes bouncing your dome off of the pavement once or twice to get the picture.

I was referencing the poor grammar...truly spoken like someone who whacked their head on something.

But thats ok

Edited by torgo

Man there have been some really cool threads in the coffee house lately!

I think it's awsome too, that fox 17 has a link up about the coffee house. Do you think that kind of media exposure will have an impact on the gr forum posting traffic??

I want an American Apparel Store. Read about them here. Tell them to open in GR here. And enter their photo contest:

Call for entries

We're looking for photos of unique things that surround you and your favorite city: signs, architecture, locals, tourists, businesses, and other bits of randomness. If you'd like to see your work exhibited here, please send us ten or more photos (under 10 MB and no ZIP files please) that articulate your vision. Photographers worldwide, especially those in smaller cities, are encouraged to apply. Compensation is $200 for 20 photos to be featured on our web site, plus a bio. Send your photos to:

[email protected]

I want an American Apparel Store. Read about them here. Tell them to open in GR here. And enter their photo contest:

Call for entries

We're looking for photos of unique things that surround you and your favorite city: signs, architecture, locals, tourists, businesses, and other bits of randomness. If you'd like to see your work exhibited here, please send us ten or more photos (under 10 MB and no ZIP files please) that articulate your vision. Photographers worldwide, especially those in smaller cities, are encouraged to apply. Compensation is $200 for 20 photos to be featured on our web site, plus a bio. Send your photos to:

[email protected]

I just saw something on the History Channel about them. They pay factory workers something like $15+ an hour in LA and manufacture everything here instead of in China. They treat employees what looked to be VERY well. Cool company and story.

If I recall from a discussion on Fark a while back that site may contain images that are either NSFW or real close. So be careful.

Hehe.. yeah I just checked it out.. and there were lots of hairy men in whitie tighties.... :huh:

If I recall from a discussion on Fark a while back that site may contain images that are either NSFW or real close. So be careful.

Sorry everyone, he's right. I'm completely unrestricted, so I dont even think about that kind of thing. :blush:

I went back and checked. I didn't see any nudity, but there are some pretty racy pics of men and women and even some old people :huh:

Anyone catch the weathercast on WZZM 13 last night? George said he is worried about a possible derecho event tonight into Wednesday.

"A derecho is a widespread and long-lived, violent convectively induced windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms usually taking the form of a bow echo. Derechos are usually not associated with a cold front, but a stationary front. A warm weather phenomenon, they occur mostly in late spring to summer, especially July, but can occur at any time of the year."

From Wiki.

I want an American Apparel Store.

American Apparel and its business philosophy is cool though. From a clothing standpoint, they have great, well-made basics, lots of colors. Obviously in bucking sweatshop production, paying a fair wage for work, employing ACTUAL AMERICANS and using racy pics in their marketing/advertising, they're not afraid to push the envelope. I've got one of their catalogs from when I visited their store in New York - the pics are realistic (like you could have taken them yourself) of people wearing their clothing, even if it happens to be just underpants! Not sure what newer ads look like though.

Somehow I think the "average" GR resident would choose to shop at a Walmart-type store with its sweatshop-produced clothing, non-fair wages, etc because they use "safe" advertising. UGH! What do you guys think?

Edited by starrfish

"A derecho is a widespread and long-lived, violent convectively induced windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms usually taking the form of a bow echo. Derechos are usually not associated with a cold front, but a stationary front. A warm weather phenomenon, they occur mostly in late spring to summer, especially July, but can occur at any time of the year."

From Wiki.

It's like George was right here on UP explaining it. :)

I *did* see that on the newscast last night. I had never heard of that phenomenon before.

Somehow I think the "average" GR resident would choose to shop at a Walmart-type store with its sweatshop-produced clothing, non-fair wages, etc because they use "safe" advertising. UGH! What do you guys think?

I think "safe" advertising is alright. If a company has to sell a t-shirt they better damn well do it. Don't try to sell me the blonde. If I'm looking for a shirt for the ms don't sell me a shirt where the girl is risky bare and isn't even wearing the shirt. Sex dosen't sell for me. I don't appreciate being pandered to.

I don't shop at "Walmart-type" stores I shop at Meijers; Walmart-types are dirty.

Edited by Rizzo

I think "safe" advertising is alright. If a company has to sell a t-shirt they better damn well do it. Don't try to sell me the blonde. If I'm looking for a shirt for the ms don't sell me a shirt where the girl is risky bare and isn't even wearing the shirt. Sex dosen't sell for me. I don't appreciate being pandered to.

I don't shop at "Walmart-type" stores I shop at Meijers; Walmart-types are dirty.

Rizzo, I can appreciate your point of view. I guess there's nothing out there that's going to appeal to all people. I'm just a creative spirit who appreciates things that aren't the 'norm' - American Apparel definitely embodies that. More than anything my hope would be that people in this market could or would support a clothing company that pays a fair wage and also manufactures soley in the US - looking beyond how they choose to advertise. That's all.

Call for entries

[email protected]

I've briefly checked out their store in Ann Arbor. (get it... briefly... ha ha) I need to enter that contest!

I see new 'new post' and 'poll' icons are being tested.. I like 'em

I just noticed them too. From a usefulness standpoint, the 'new post' icons don't appear as bold as the old icons did. At first, I thought I'd been logged off somehow because the regular new post icons were gone! :dontknow: