The Watering Hole

Its too bad that the Urban Republican thread was locked :( I was to busy working so I didn't have time to put my .02 cents in :angry:

I agree. That thread was interesting.

I wonder if the thread would have been closed if it was about a group of urban democrats.

The reason for shutting it down was regarding a reference to the group's PAC. Maybe someone will reopen the topic in a more generic context.

I agree. That thread was interesting.

I wonder if the thread would have been closed if it was about a group of urban democrats.

The reason for shutting it down was regarding a reference to the group's PAC. Maybe someone will reopen the topic in a more generic context.

There is a push from urbanplanet leadership, to keep the site drama free. While the discussion had remained civil, the topic was starting to attract folks who have a reputation for leading debates into an unintelligent insulting match. Though not by anyone who is reading this. For some reason lately, political debates just seem to be going that way. It's unfortunate that a few immature people ruin it for the rest of us.

I was just going to say something about these Republicans. Why should it matter that you're a urban republican? Is it that you want to care for urban issues and sell me that it relates to the issues? Just help people, build downtown, and revitalize the core without playing the political winover. There's a place and a time.

Edited by Rizzo

I was just going to say something about these Republicans. Why should it matter that you're a urban republican? Is it that you want to care for urban issues and sell me that it relates to the issues? Just help people, build downtown, and revitalize the core without playing the political winover. There's a place and a time.

I think that it was created because over the past several decades many urban areas have automatically been associated with a liberal political frame and that the suburbs and exurbs have been associated with a conservative political frame. In many areas, this is further represented by looking at presidential elections where the dense urban areas have voted for a democrat, while the suburban and exurban (and even rural in the recent years) has gone to the republican side. There is also the stereotype of the unconventional urban bohemia ideology at odds with the traditional conservative ideology represented and reinforced in the play and recent movie

Any of you IT folks install PHP5, SQL with Apache2.2 on XP? Jebus......

Apache 2.2 is not compatible with PHP5. You will need to downgrade to Apache 2.0 to use PHP5. This is because Apache 2.2 doesn't support Apache 1.3x/2.0x modules.

Anyone listen to the GR Police Scanner provided by Mlive.com? I've spent 20 minutes listening with interest. A 16 trying to kill herself and fleeing the scene on Plainfield while a 64 year old woman just out of the hospital fell from her vehicle... Oh and then the rent-a-cops didn't inform the police and fire that they would be testing their alarm system which triggered a response by GRFD and GRPD -- they sounded kind of annoyed... So much drama in River City.

Speaking of cops, I wonder if the TV Show has interest in GR? I remember my friends wanted to start a campaign to bring the tv show here.

Edited by Rizzo

Speaking of police, anyone had problems recently with kids blowing up mailboxes? One tried to hit mine last night, but I saw him and set forth a profanity-laced tirade that sent them scurrying back into the car. I felt like an old man. Darn whippersnappers. <_<

Edited by torgo