The Watering Hole

you could've went to Meijer instead of wal :sick: mart

*. Mart means any, unspecified, big boxer. I coined the phrase for rec.bicycles.misc so's we recommenders wouldn't always be picking on the same retailers (who sell bicycle-shaped objects for $100).

Fred's A/C is at least 20 degrees cooler than Sam's. Maybe it's the groceries.

the same retailers (who sell bicycle-shaped objects for $100).

My wife and I need bikes, I don't want to spend over $100 each. Where should we look? We garage saled a bid with no luck. Next stop is Meijer if we don't get another suggestion.

Edited by twoshort

My wife and I need bikes, I don't want to spend over $100 each. Where should we look? We garage saled a bid with no luck. Next stop is Meijer if we don't get another suggestion.

A buddy of mine just got a pretty good deal at Dunhams. He was under $120 for his.

No nononono! Much as I love Fred's food and other stuff, the "bikes" sold there won't last more than a season. Spend a little more and get something that will last a few years.

Drop by your closest local bike shop (LBS) and see what's offered used on their bulletin board. Then stop by the *next* closest LBS. They might have a 2005 model on the floor that's your perfect size, color, price range. LBS are willing to dicker to move product (Fred can't). "If we buy these two bikes today, can we also get helmets thrown in?"

LBS have trained sales staff, and they will ask what your intended use of the bike is, how much you plan to ride, and so on. (If you want to read all about *.Mart bikes and why you should avoid them, stop by UseNet's rec.bicycles.misc. It's a FAQ.)

Rapid Wheelmen offers free classifieds to members. www.rapidwheelmen.com. Someone on there is always unloading a nice used bike.

Press classifieds always seem to have bikes, along with lots of trailers and trail-a-bikes (whose users outgrow them).

I have had decent luck at the thrifts, the City auction, and, believe it or not, trash day. Most of my pre-teen nieces' bikes have come from one of these sources. Avoid labels such as Huffy, Magnum, and the other labels seen on the floor next to the auto department and toys.

Just thought of another source: the Mackinac Island bike shops sell off their fleets every fall. They may have leftovers from last year.

HTH

ETA: all the the LBS in GR, Ada, Kentwood, Wyoming, Grandville are sponsors of the forthcoming Bike GR map.

Edited by Veloise

Helped open up the new Democratic campaign HQ today. It's on Cherry (same name as the lt gov candidate), moved from Wealthy. (Symbolic, no?)

Saw GRGrid Girl in the crowd. No pic this time....my favorite gov now wears glasses.

the battle lines are being drawn.... while devos is a complete moron he gets my vote, anything is better than a fake michigander :D

or should I say michiganian :)

Edited by gvsusean

the battle lines are being drawn.... while devos is a complete moron he gets my vote, anything is better than a fake michigander :D

or should I say michiganian :)

She is a citizen, an American Citizen and is rightfully a Michiganian. If anything is fake it's Devos' accented language.

yes indeed, the battle lines have been drawn, this should be an excellent bruhaha the next few months!