The Watering Hole

Ever dislike it when you give your employer the two weeks (which speaking hardly anyone does in my industry-- they just say "screw you" and leave.) and on your last day make you train replacements. (Trying to get the most out of you before you leave.) Compressing six hours of intensive work into two hours without blowing the place up :) record!

I know how you feel Rizzo, I once left a job, giving my two weeks, and they asked me to stay for two extra weeks so they'd have time to hire someone to replace me and have me train them. If that wasn't bad enough, they told me that if I chose to stay I would still get paid for those two weeks (I should hope so!) but it would be at the entry level rate while I was training, and my benefits would be suspended...gee twist my arm...

I thought that was the point of two weeks notice -- so that they have ample time to plan for replacement. In my line of work I can't afford to teach someone safety and procedure in two hours. I'm not frustrated with my manager, just the lack of communication. Maybe they feel that since I'm a subordinate that I don't get the luxury of getting the heads up.

I can't stay, I'm expected in Schaumburg to sign the lease on Monday.

Edited by Rizzo

I have to break the news to the bosses, they assume I'm going to stay another week to train people....hello I put my two weeks in, two weeks ago.

Scumbag-is-a-callin'.

Modern management, sheesh. I've been on both sides of the desk.

One boss always wanted to fill a position with the first person to interview. "Let's hire her right now!!" Uh, no, we have three more people scheduled. (There's a reason his non-profit board of directors finally let him go.)

At a contract gig; they handed me a letter of recommendation and walking papers one morning. But then they wanted me to stay on all afternoon to finish the project, after getting off the clock!

At another contract job I was afternoon shift (we were working around the clock to produce these coupon books for auto dealerships). They rang early one morning to see if I could come in by 9am because they were frightfully busy that day. Well, no, I was at your place until 11, followed by an hour drive home...They called an hour before my afternoon shift was supposed to start and said, "project's done, don't come in." Yeah right.

(That was the place where the guys running the presses came up with the idea for a 24/7 industrial supply shop where midnight printers could come get emergency supplies of paper, toner, rubylith, ink...then someone pointed out that what was passing for management should be able to predict and order such items in advance.)

Have fun in Scumbag, Rizzo. Take us some pics of edge city design and traffic circulation so we can appreciate GR all the more!

So I goto finish some Royal Cola and put it into a paper bag so that I can return cans and bottles at our local Meijer. The second that I grab the bag this conversation ensues with the girlfriend:

her "what are you doing?"

me "recycling."

her "We don't do that here."

me :huh:

her "yah I didn't pay deposits on those"

her "Just throw it away."

her "Just throw it away." --As if I wasn't embarrassed enough, the girlfriend goes to demonstrate how to throw a can away.

me "OMG, you just threw away a can."

her "I know, doesn't it feel like you just murdered someone?"

me "Yah, except I just threw away a can and if someone back home saw me they would murder me."

me "I got a plan"

her "what"

me "Yah, I got an idea, why don't we rent a uhaul...."

her "STOP, that's illegal."

Edited by Rizzo

It disgusts me that there is not a bottle return policy in Chicago. I cringe when I'm at my sisters condo in Uptown and they oh so freely toss their bottles in the trash.

On that note, I've had a hard time throwing away wine bottles. I finally couldn't do it anymore, I decided to save them up and either find a site that would take them or wait for the City to get on board. Well, I'm thrilled that the City came on board and now accepts wine bottles.

This morning I watched the City take my recycling: 50 wine bottles and two cases of Champagne. I had to get an extra recycling bin for this one. Yeah!!!!

Now I can feel guilt-free drinking wine at home. I think I'll get a nice Shiraz to celebrate!

This morning I watched the City take my recycling: 50 wine bottles and two cases of Champagne. I had to get an extra recycling bin for this one. Yeah!!!!

Now I can feel guilt-free drinking wine at home.

Sunday morning at Triple G's

11082979nh6.jpg

11294822tn9.jpg

Any luck finding a liver donor yet?

Sunday morning at Triple G's

Any luck finding a liver donor yet?

That's disgusting Nitro and not proper Fancy beotch conduct.

On another note, I did make $25 this week on returning beer bottles to Martha's. I know we pay for the deposit, but its always nice to get that cash back!

That's disgusting Nitro and not proper Fancy beotch conduct.

On another note, I did make $25 this week on returning beer bottles to Martha's. I know we pay for the deposit, but its always nice to get that cash back!

I think my biggest return ever was like $93. I had to make 2 trips. :/ I hate taking back empties. So much so that I do it about 2 times a year. I love having a big garage.

I think my biggest return ever was like $93. I had to make 2 trips. :/ I hate taking back empties. So much so that I do it about 2 times a year. I love having a big garage.

Haha we moved our empties with us last time... yeah we had like $200 last time we returned

:alc:

A few years back I was doing graphic design and marketing work for a small company near Detroit, with a pop machine in da house. No one else cared about the ten-centers, so I took 'em on.

(Lessee...must have been July because my fridge was packed with bowls of raspberries. B-i-i-i-g-g-g mixing bowls. I'd go outside and pick twice a day. Was getting sick of raspberries.)

A buddy from Ohio visits. We head over to Kroger to get an ice cream chaser, and I brought the garbage bag full of cans from work. He dutifully stood there at the whoomper and fed in about $10 worth of cans. Having never done this before, he enjoyed the first $1 or two.

(I was trying to give him a carry-out, and because they are about $10/lb at a grocery, he was saying, "I don't want to take all your raspberries. Then I opened the fridge...)

So I drove by the Plainfield Meijer today, and they have a big sign that says "Why Pay More!" stuck on the side of the buiding. And I thought, "Why the exclamation point? The first word in the sentence, 'why', suggests that they are making an interoggative statement. Seems to be that the sign should read 'Why Pay More?'"

It must drive english teachers crazy!

Edited by torgo

So I drove by the Plainfield Meijer today, and they have a big sign that says "Why Pay More!" stuck on the side of the buiding. And I thought, "Why the exclamation point? The first word in the sentence, 'why', suggests that they are making an interoggative statement. Seems to be that the sign should read 'Why Pay More?'"

It must drive english teachers crazy!

That exclamation point has bothered me for decades.

That exclamation point has bothered me for decades.

Because if it was "Why pay more?", people might answer that in their heads: "to get better quality, "to get better service, to get better xyz...." That's not the intent of the message. It's really "Don't Pay More!", but you can't really say that.

I've never planted grass before. It's been about a week or so and it's coming in nicely, but it's growing a bit spotty. Is that normal for the first week?

smallgrass.jpg

Yep, the strongest seeds have sprouted, and their shy cousins are still thinking about it or getting ready.

Give it a couple more weeks before mitigating. Keep it watered (depending on what comes down naturally). Grass loves fall, and grass seeding works well through October (if memory serves) because there's less stress: ground is uniformly warm, fewer bugs.

And keep the weeds under control! Doesn't look like there any now, but they can spread pretty fast and rob all the nutrients that your grass needs. But yours looks a hell of a lot better than mine did when I planted grass. :thumbsup:

What should I use to control the weeds when the grass is this young? I don't want to spray something too strong and I don't want to walk all over the seeds to pull them. Anyone have any recomendations? I do have some weeds in there that already have leaves (past the germination stage).