The Watering Hole

Can someone tell me if Eastern Ave is open between Burton and Wealthy? The construction is really making my drive to the Derby a pain in the ass.

Are you talking about the Silver Derby on Burton? I went there for the first time two weeks ago. It was filled with Calvin college students. I guess they're all waiting for the Last Chance to re-open.

Are you talking about the Silver Derby on Burton? I went there for the first time two weeks ago. It was filled with Calvin college students. I guess they're all waiting for the Last Chance to re-open.

That's the one.. he's a regular Tuesday nighter there :rofl:

It's usually a good mix of Calvin students, young adults, old time regulars, smoke and good music.

Yeah it's not usually 'full' of Calvin kids unless it's a tuesday or thursday. It's kind of an 'everybody knows your name type place.' I think I even saw lighthousedave hanging out there last thurday.

If you noticed the guy walking behind you in a yellow t-shirt with two small girls following after him, that was me. :thumbsup:

Didn't see ya. (Wear hi-vis green next time!)

Some of my driving buddies tell me that they don't dare greet me on the road, but some have figured out that a gentle "beep" can't possibly be misconstrued as the usual "GETOFFTHE @#$%^&*()ROAD!!!"

If you know what a UP'er looks like (or have a good idea...who else has black commuter baskets with green Reflexite stripes around the top?!?) please say hi!

ed: spell

Edited by Veloise

Did anyone see the softball game on TV last night between the current Detroit Red Wings and some members from the 1984 Detroit Tigers? It was a charity event.

Pretty funny though watching some of the Red Wings play softball. It seemed soem of the European players Lang, Datsyuk and others were a bit unfamilar with sport :) Others like Maltby and Draper were really good.

Years ago there was somthing similar at the Wayland High School... Detroit Lions vs. Harlem Globetrotters in a game of basketball. At one point a lion hid the basketball and came running thru with a football, and then dunked the football. That was really funny to see =p

Reason #5 on why I love living in the central city:

Free Downtown Events!

The Avenue of the Arts Market on S Division brought me back to the East Village in NYC/Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago. It had high energy, great music, and way cool art. Love the funkiness.

Ran across this document from 2004. Don't know if you've ever seen it. But when I saw your posting Monday morning about your weekend adventures, and then found this document, I though I'd send you a link.

http://www.macaa.com/pdf%20files/Case%20St...ase%20Study.pdf

I don't mind them, really. And seeing as how Faygo is my favourite brand of soda (actually its tied with Crush =p), I'm hoping that this advertising will help keep some of the greater flavours alive that have been disappearing lately.

Mine too. At a young and impressionable age (MSU undergrad) I was a part of a horn section that wandered around the stadium performing little ditties. For some reason our piece that year was the Faygo song. (3/4 time, lyrics reminisce about the good ol' days "and that's why weeeeeee...love Faygo.")

The student section went WILD the first time we played it. Lined up in two rows, we added a horn swing (going opposite directions) and the drunks --I mean, the students imitated us.

The next week, it was as though we were broadcasting subliminal "jump up and down and scream" messages. Each section in the end zone got their own serenade. Oh, sorry, was there a football game going on?

Baritone horns (euphoniums) get very few mentions in popular culture, and many confuse them with the French horn (which doesn't march well). It got to where a player would be walking to band practice and someone would recognize the horn!

In following years the beverage company picked up on this free advertising and brought its trucks to band practice, handed out cans of pop.

Nowadays I don't drink pop, but I sure do remember that time frame fondly. (I even mooched a Faygo patch off the sleeve of a delivery guy, and sewed it on my band jacket.)

Thats the same as the have here, except the I in Rapids is a 2-liter. They also have one that says 616 with the 1 as a faygo bottle.

Man, ever since I accidently threw a 2 liter of Red Pop at ICP's Joe Bruce, Faygo has been a favorite among the kids these days.

Drove back into GR and was welcomed by this:

616jn0.jpg

then this:

grup5.jpg