The Watering Hole

I can't find a thread where this was discussed (I know it was somewhere), but I see they are doing a lot of exterior work on Plaza Towers, including a "caulking service". I had heard some people were having water damage again. Are they also going to clean the building???

No major leaking problems that I know of. A few minor roof leaks here and there, but that is to be expected with flat roofs I guess. The work that is being done is a routine cleaning and sealing of the building. A local firm got the job, but was spec'd and is supposed to be reviewed by Epstien out of Chicago, so hopefully done right. The bill is certainly big enough...WELL into the 6 figures. It is supposed to be 1/3 completed this fall, starting on the east elevation. The balance to be completed next year, supposed to be by August.

You missed Devries Companies (Ed Devries?), Blue Bridge Ventures (Jack Buchanan), Delta Properties, and DAR Development. Williams and Works does urban planning. Development Equity Advisors Corporation is now Crossroads Ventures.

Also missed one of the big dogs...Activa (DeVos, VanAndel)

Why do you ask michaelskis? Got something cookin' or just idle curiosity? :D

In all honesty, I will be looking at how these companies are structured, what the employment atmosphere is for each of them, and when the time is right (sometime next year) possible inquiring about employment up there.

I figure by next spring, my Masters in Geography with an emphasis on Urban Planning and Development will be completed, I will have my AICP, and while I truly enjoy where I work (even though it is an hour away) I thought that it would be good to look at other opportunities as well.

Right now, I am in Zoning and Code Administration, and while I think that it is a very worthwhile job, in the long run, it is not a position that I would want to remain in for a long time, and it appears that my City will not have any openings for other positions anytime soon.

There is one place that I would love to get into, but I am going to explore all my options before making a choice.

In all honesty, I will be looking at how these companies are structured, what the employment atmosphere is for each of them, and when the time is right (sometime next year) possible inquiring about employment up there.

I figure by next spring, my Masters in Geography with an emphasis on Urban Planning and Development will be completed, I will have my AICP, and while I truly enjoy where I work (even though it is an hour away) I thought that it would be good to look at other opportunities as well.

Right now, I am in Zoning and Code Administration, and while I think that it is a very worthwhile job, in the long run, it is not a position that I would want to remain in for a long time, and it appears that my City will not have any openings for other positions anytime soon.

There is one place that I would love to get into, but I am going to explore all my options before making a choice.

You saw my thread about jobs in planning, right? Some of the usual suspects post ads again and again and again. Private sector as well as public.

Zoning code admin, oooohhhhh. "Sir, you can't park your boat in your driveway." BTDT, was told "you don't belong here" because I didn't own a boat! (And I never will. See ya!)

At a MAPA conference session on this topic some years ago, one of a firm's principals stated that their major criterion is: their perception of how well the candidate will get along with their existing staff. AICP be danged.

Edited by Veloise

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear of anything happening at Rivertown Mall tonight? I heard that the mall was forced to evacuate for some reason. I would just wait for the 11 o'clock news... but I don't have TV right now

My friend is a sales manager at Macy's (formerly known as Marshall Field's), apparently there was a bomb threat. Not sure if they ended up finding anything - clearly we would have heard if the place blew up! That's all I know - as she had just finished her day shift and wasn't actually there when they had to clear the store.

edit: had to dig for this- mlive is the only "news outlet" that considered this a story this morning.

Edited by starrfish

Without opening a new topic, I have to disagree with the assessment of closing the evolution thread as "silly". I would say the owners here are very liberal about the discussions they allow, especially in the Coffee House areas. There have been over 1426 topics started in the GR section over the past 2 years, and only a handful (that I recall) being closed by staff. It's a system that's obviously working well, considering the growing popularity of UP.

Without opening a new topic, I have to disagree with the assessment of closing the evolution thread as "silly". I would say the owners here are very liberal about the discussions they allow, especially in the Coffee House areas. There have been over 1426 topics started in the GR section over the past 2 years, and only a handful (that I recall) being closed by staff. It's a system that's obviously working well, considering the growing popularity of UP.

I want to address this statement: "This site is dedicated to a pretty nerdy topic, and I feel like such a geek for even caring about the topics brought up."

What?!?!?

This nerdy topic is a career for some of us. It's like real doctors watching CSI or Grey's Anatomy. Plus it would appear that commentary and sugestions thrown out here can actually have a positive impact on our urban environment. That makes it better than casting a ballot!

[wish I could remember that line from Pee Wee's Big Adventure...something like "I don't have to watch it, it's my life!"]

I want to address this statement: "This site is dedicated to a pretty nerdy topic, and I feel like such a geek for even caring about the topics brought up."

What?!?!?

This nerdy topic is a career for some of us. It's like real doctors watching CSI or Grey's Anatomy. Plus it would appear that commentary and sugestions thrown out here can actually have a positive impact on our urban environment. That makes it better than casting a ballot!

[wish I could remember that line from Pee Wee's Big Adventure...something like "I don't have to watch it, it's my life!"]

I think that's another reason why the topic was closed. "Boy, you guys are a bunch of nerds, but you're fun to watch" does not go over very well with management. :lol:

Thats kind of crazy that only one news source covered this at ALL. When a school or office building as a bomb threat, its all over the news. But one of the largest shopping centers in the state and it doesn't even break a TV news story :dontknow:

Maybe its a good thing that it doesn't get much press. Perhaps if these people don't get any attention they'll stop wasting people's time making these false threats.

Maybe its a good thing that it doesn't get much press. Perhaps if these people don't get any attention they'll stop wasting people's time making these false threats.

Recently there was a good NPR interview with the author of a book on the copycat syndrome. He said that the school shooting coverage focuses on trenchcoats, MySpace postings, and the arsenals, when it should emphasize sadness and losses. He said that as soon as the first one happened (a few weeks ago) he could see that more would be forthcoming, with similar events (assaults on young girls).

I just was watching CNBC and seeing the DOW break a record again... then a commercial pops up with Jeff Daniels talking about how Michigan will help your company expand in Michigan. Jeff was talking about an example of Michigan helping a solar-electric cell comapny find materials, etc, etc.. Are these commercials running in Michigan too? Anyone see these?

Edited by Rizzo

It was also Tim Allen.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5553661

I think these claims by the GOP are absurd. It's almost like they'd rather have Michigan failing than trying to succeed. There have been some successes in Michigan, and those should be highlighted every second of every day.