The Watering Hole

Hey guys! I'm obviously new here, and since I couldn't find an introduce yourself thread of any sort, I figured this would be the most logical place to do so. I found the site through a google search, and it piqued my interest. I've been living in Grand Rapids my entire life. Grew up in Alger Heights, but I've been living downtown at the live at the globe for a couple years now. I'm in my junior year pursuing an accounting degree at GVSU's Pew campus. I've been really interested in the development of the DT area, for quite a while, and its good to finally meet some other people who share my opinions.

Cheers,

Jordan

Boy, with the new Heart Center, Cancer Center, Children's Hospital, Women's Health Center, and Med School, the only thing left is to revive the Michigan Rectal Center of Grand Rapids, run by Dr's Burleson & Burleson, the largest of its kind in the world in 1917:

Michigan_GrandRapids_TheLargestInstitution_small.jpg

Anyone know where this was located? Probably a victim of urban renewal South of Michigan Street.

Edited by GRDadof3

Boy, with the new Heart Center, Cancer Center, Children's Hospital, Women's Health Center, and Med School, the only thing left is to revive the Michigan Rectal Center of Grand Rapids, run by Dr's Burleson & Burleson, the largest of its kind in the world in 1917:

Michigan_GrandRapids_TheLargestInstitution_small.jpg

Anyone know where this was located? Probably a victim of urban renewal South of Michigan Street.

Michigan Rectal Center of Grand Rapids :unsure::sick::unsure: that name is just too funny.. "So.. where do you work?..."

I can't believe that they actually produced a POSTCARD to commemorate it. "Grand Rapids Rectal Center, Wish you were here" :lol:

warning: don 't read this if you are about to eat or drink something, lol

In the old days, these types of facilities were devoted to more than just hemorrhoids and colon cancer. It was believed that proper irrigation, regular rectal "cleansing out" and expurgation, as well as minute analysis of the various characteristics of the excretions over a period of time could provide valuable clues to a much larger variety of health and psychological benefits, and might cure a very large variety and repertory of diseases. Often these types of institutions also provided inhouse dietary supervision over a period of days and weeks to supposedly correct whatever deficiencies were uncovered during analysis, diagnosis, and treatment. Time spent in such "cleansing" circumstances was often promoted and interpreted as a bit of a "holiday", retreat, or vacation... Sorry to be a bit graphic here, lol

Even as recently as a decade ago, the prominence of the Ferguson Center facilities which used to be located just accross from today's Urban Institute (the former Ferguson doctors are now merged with Spectrum on East Paris), bespeaks some of this strange rectal heritage, as they were sort of THE "rectal" and later THE colonoscopy destination for the entire Western part of the state.

They even had their own brand of hemorrhoid creme, the "Ferguson" brand, which I understand had quite a local following...

:whistling:

Edited by publius

warning: don 't read this if you are about to eat or drink something, lol

In the old days, these types of facilities were devoted to more than just hemorrhoids and colon cancer. It was believed that proper irrigation, regular rectal "cleansing out" and expurgation, as well as minute analysis of the various characteristics of the excretions over a period of time could provide valuable clues to a much larger variety of health and psychological benefits, and might cure a very large variety and repertory of diseases. Often these types of institutions also provided inhouse dietary supervision over a period of days and weeks to supposedly correct whatever deficiencies were uncovered during analysis, diagnosis, and treatment. Time spent in such "cleansing" circumstances was often promoted and interpreted as a bit of a "holiday", retreat, or vacation... Sorry to be a bit graphic here, lol

Even as recently as a decade ago, the prominence of the Ferguson Center facilities which used to be located just accross from today's Urban Institute (the former Ferguson doctors are now merged with Spectrum on East Paris), bespeaks some of this strange rectal heritage, as they were sort of THE "rectal" and later THE colonoscopy destination for the entire Western part of the state.

They even had their own brand of hemorrhoid creme, the "Ferguson" brand, which I understand had quite a local following...

:whistling:

That is creepy! It reminds of the history of Kellogg's Cereal. Didn't the Kellogg Brothers invent Corn Flakes basically to clean out your intestines and colon, in addition to other natural dietary aids? And they have that big resort area down near Augusta, Michigan (it's still there and used for corporate retreats) that used to be a place for the wealthy to go for a nice cleanin!