The Watering Hole

Spitting is pretty un original and just plain studpid in terms of a prank - the kids at East might not be as smart as people want us to think. Either more of this kind of stuff makes it to the press these days or kids are just more mean-spirited than they were when I was in HS. I believe spitting is technically a form of assault (any armchair attorneys out there want to verify?). Wonder if the kid who got spit on has a case?!

You are correct and I suspect the school's swift response was because they know the law too. Reasonable odds in EGR that the freshman's parents are or know an attorney who would be happy to help.

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/personal_...lt_battery.html

In the context of criminal law, "assault and battery" are typically components of a single offense. In tort law, "assault" and "battery" are separate, with an assault being an act which creates fear of an imminent battery, and the battery being an unlawful touching. Assault and battery are intentional torts, meaning that the defendant actually intends to put the plaintiff in fear of being battered, or intends to wrongfully touch the plaintiff. The wrongful touching need not inflict physical injury, and may be indirect (such as contact through a thrown stone, or spitting).

Okay this must be a "new" tradition at EGR, cause I don't ever remember hearing about this happening:

Band members suspended for spitting on freshman

I can't believe pranks like this even exist, how rude. I guess those students have some time to think about their actions.

Now we know what really happens at band camp....

Gosh, that's just trickled down to HS? The MSU band was doing stuff like that in 1976 and earlier. Sometime in the 1980s they were told to stop by civil rights folks (because it had gotten a lot worse).

Spitting is not only violating personal space, it's dangerous. (See "universal precautions.")

Last night walking the puppy dog around the HH historic district while kids were trick or treating was kind of neat. This old historic homes, some decorated for Halloween, people out interacting with their neighbors, and everyone having a good time really enhanced the feel of community.

Now why can

Last night walking the puppy dog around the HH historic district while kids were trick or treating was kind of neat. This old historic homes, some decorated for Halloween, people out interacting with their neighbors, and everyone having a good time really enhanced the feel of community.

Now why can

Edited by Veloise

Is it true that eventually all city of Grand Rapids property taxes will be paid in the summer and none in the winter? If so, when is this going to occur?

The full shift will be effective next year. It affects every county in the State.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:UlrJfz...t=clnk&cd=5

The full shift will be effective next year. It affects every county in the State.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:UlrJfz...t=clnk&cd=5

A little more info regarding this shift from our city treasurer (who actually answers emails!):

the 2005 winter tax rate was reduced from $5.314/M of TV to $$3.8873/M. In 2006, it will be reduced to $2.5462/M and in 2007 (and thereafter, without legislative change), it will be reduced to $1.1193/M. This is because the legislation did not address the other levies billed in Grand Rapids (and some other local units) as part of the winter county tax roll.

So essentially, unless they can get some changes made the city is going to incur a very large expense and a put for a lot of effort to collect a very small amount of money (over 27% of the bills will be less than $30). They're working on changing it, but until then a small winter tax bill will continue to be collected.

Weekend of violence in Grand Rapids

Yikes! Was it a full moon this weekend or what? Shooting at a roller rink, a bunch of cars vandalized, and a man seriously pummelled (in a coma) by a bunch of racist thugs outside the BOB.

Great, now my mom's all going around saying "see i told you downtown wasn't safe! you dhouldn't be walking around there at night! he's in a coma! I told you so!" yet seemingly ignoring the kid who was KILLED at the funspot by a gang, which is within walking distance of where I work. ~rolleyes~

Edited by tSlater

Great, now my mom's all going around saying "see i told you downtown wasn't safe! you dhouldn't be walking around there at night! he's in a coma! I told you so!" yet seemingly ignoring the kid who was KILLED at the funspot by a gang, which is within walking distance of where I work. ~rolleyes~

Tell her that it's people from Wayland or Rockford making the ruckus downtown. Back in the day I used hang out at the Fun Spot on Friday nights. It used to be the thing to do for a lot of kids in GR, Kentwood, and Godwin. All the schools usually had their parties at the rink -- I can see that forever changing now. The spot is going to loose MEGA bucks now. What a shame.

Edited by Rizzo

What was going on last night (Sunday Night) at 131/ Wealthy Street? They had Wealthy blocked off at division, and several other streets blocked off.

As for crime this weekend, I hope they find the guys who started it, the people who beat that guy up and have a very public prosecution of them. Sometimes when a person does something like that, it is best to make this as public as possible to show others what will happen.

Additionally, if there was a big group of people around, why didn