The Watering Hole

Greetings from the sunny south, where I've been wearing shorts (and sunscreen) this week.

The other day I dropped by a bike shop near my brother's house, and it turns out that the owner is involved in Elves & More (which began here in Houston). He says that they used to distribute Huffys, but that changed a couple years ago to the unbranded "President" and "Prodigy" bikes seen last year at the West Mich chapter's distribution. Said he and a bicycle company owner were the specifiers. The bikes used to be labeled with "Tour de Hood" but someone got offended so that was removed.

I would not say that the riding here is great, and the traffic patterns are definitely not as easy-going as in GR. Drivers take advantage of any break in traffic, even in parking lots. Sprawl is everywhere, with spread-out housing and strip mall after strip mall. An hour commute is not uncommon. And of course, T-DOT is busy implementing more of it; seems like every major freeway is under construction, getting a couple more lanes in each direction. On I-10,

there was a railroad line in the freeway right-of-way, but that's been removed so they can widen the road. There is one measly nod to the concept of mass transit; it runs all of eight miles near the Astrodome and downtown. (This is sortof like having a people mover between the medical hill and the BOB area.)

Culture shock: I knew that Texas has a lax drink & drive law (my brother used to say that San Antonio is two 6-packs away), but it's beyond that. We went in a grocery store, and in the wine department was a product sample station handing out tastes. We then went to a liquor store--huge place, packed with Thanksgiving shoppers, and there were product samples in many of the aisles! And--get this--by the checkout is a cooler loaded with cups of ice, which can be purchased for 80 cents as you leave. Yep, this is a whole 'nuther country.

Some years ago I used to visit every year (around Easter) and soak up some culture; for a while I was even thinking of moving here. Glad I didn't!

Happy Black Friday everyone!

Greetings from the sunny south, where I've been wearing shorts (and sunscreen) this week.

Happy Black Friday everyone!

I can't stand warm weather this late in the Fall. Today was actually too warm here in West Michigan than I like (60+). What do you wear? It's 35 in the morning and 65 in the afternoon???? I did some yard cleanup outside, and I was sweating. Who likes to sweat?!? Houston can keep it. :thumbsup:

When I got out of work at 8am it was about 20-25 deg... :) I like the crisp air.

Anyone read in the GRBJ about an outside investor buying some 500,000 sq ft of office space downtown? Trying to stabilize the market or whatever... what do you folks make of this?

Edited by Rizzo

When I got out of work at 8am it was about 20-25 deg... :) I like the crisp air.

Anyone read in the GRBJ about an outside investor buying some 500,000 sq ft of office space downtown? Trying to stabilize the market or whatever... what do you folks make of this?

It's that Ann Arbor company that bought the Trust, Ledyard and Waters Buildings. That's all. That company likes old buildings, and there are only so many in A2.

I can't stand warm weather this late in the Fall. Today was actually too warm here in West Michigan than I like (60+). What do you wear? It's 35 in the morning and 65 in the afternoon???? I did some yard cleanup outside, and I was sweating. Who likes to sweat?!? Houston can keep it. :thumbsup:

[replying to myself] Snow is on its way this weekend though. In fact, I think I saw the whole U.S. is going to be plunged into cold weather this coming weekend. I'm looking forward to it now that we're approaching December.

forecast_big.jpg

[replying to myself] Snow is on its way this weekend though. In fact, I think I saw the whole U.S. is going to be plunged into cold weather this coming weekend. I'm looking forward to it now that we're approaching December.

What's amusing is: Houston and the south do not reflect any regional differences in terms of Xmas decs and Muzak. I had an entertaining discussion with the clerk at a Love's (truck stop) about their inflatable snowperson out front. Everything is Currier & Ives, "walking in a winter wonderland," "weather outside is frightful," "dashing through the snow," and so on. Sis-in-law said, "I think it snowed once last year...or was it the year before?"

Pic from my trip:

dadof3.jpg

[once I saw the first Fred sign, in Indiana, I knew I was almost home!]

Edited by Veloise

What's amusing is: Houston and the south do not reflect any regional differences in terms of Xmas decs and Muzak. I had an entertaining discussion with the clerk at a Love's (truck stop) about their inflatable snowperson out front. Everything is Currier & Ives, "walking in a winter wonderland," "weather outside is frightful," "dashing through the snow," and so on. Sis-in-law said, "I think it snowed once last year...or was it the year before?"

Pic from my trip:

dadof3.jpg

[once I saw the first Fred sign, in Indiana, I knew I was almost home!]

:yahoo: I have an alter-ego in Mississippi? What a find! I may have to ask for a personalized license plate for Christmas now.

How is GR about clearing streets? This morning when I left at 6am, I did not see a salt or plow truck anyplace.

I also have family on their way down from the UP today. Does not look like they will have a speedy trip.

Was there any snow on the ground? We only have a couple of inches on the ground here this morning, although it was icy. The city and county have had to cut manpower due to budget cuts, so they've stated it will take longer to get streets plowed.

How is GR about clearing streets? This morning when I left at 6am, I did not see a salt or plow truck anyplace.

I also have family on their way down from the UP today. Does not look like they will have a speedy trip.

Fulton and Division weren't touched when i came into work at 7.30am. None of the streets i took had been plowed. Sometimes they're good about getting them cleared, sometimes they're no where to be found. It just depends.

Was there any snow on the ground? We only have a couple of inches on the ground here this morning, although it was icy. The city and county have had to cut manpower due to budget cuts, so they've stated it will take longer to get streets plowed.

There was no snow, but quite a bit of sleet and ice. A private contractor truck at Wood TV8 was doing loops in the parking lot and street as I was leaving. But that the city was asleep.

Is there snow up there now?

There was no snow, but quite a bit of sleet and ice. A private contractor truck at Wood TV8 was doing loops in the parking lot and street as I was leaving. But that the city was asleep.

Is there snow up there now?

Yes, we probably have 3 or 4 inches of snow now. The reason why I ask is because I believe I read that they plows would not be out until there was 6 inches on the ground due to budget cuts. Ice on the streets is a different matter though.

Yes, we probably have 3 or 4 inches of snow now. The reason why I ask is because I believe I read that they plows would not be out until there was 6 inches on the ground due to budget cuts. Ice on the streets is a different matter though.

The Kent County Road Commission isn't going to plow residential subdivisons ON OVERTIME unless there is 5 inces of snow on the ground. The crew was given orders this afternoon to make a 1 pass through residential streets if they had time today and the night crew would be called in tonight on OT to complete 1 pass through every road. All 90 trucks were on the road today unless there was a breakdown. (I looked in one of the garages a couple times today :D )