The Watering Hole

Why is the Grand Rapids forum sub-headed with "Michigan's West Coast" Grand Rapid isn't even on a coast?

That should change with the Muskegon-Holland sub forum now in existence. I say we should have a naming contest for the sub title.

I'll start first:

Grand Rapids: Shhh! It's a secret.

I thought the idea behind the West Coast idea was that Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Holland was a unified region for purposes of image. I don't see why the same idea can't transcend on to UP - GR.

The one that will always come to mind is Furniture City sorry if that is mediocre... This talk can spawn a whole other discussion: Creating an Image for Grand Rapids.

Can someone point me in the direction of some good reputable publications that discuss the relationship between mass transit, land use and density?

It's hard to find anything that isn't written by a political group with a slant in one direction or another. But here are a number of scholarly journal articles about mass transit and how it effects land use.

I like to read material that "breaks from the norm" that you would normally expect:

Conservatives and mass transit. Is it time for a new look?

Good luck Andy!

Can anyone recommend a great "first-time Entrepreneur" book? Have you read the material and applied it to your own business start up -- how did it turn out? I'm looking specifically at a book that can be given as a gift to a self starter looking into starting a small business... Much appreciated

Edited by Rizzo

Can anyone recommend a great "first-time Entrepreneur" book? Have you read the material and applied it to your own business start up -- how did it turn out? I'm looking specifically at a book that can be given as a gift to a self starter looking into starting a small business... Much appreciated

"Guerilla Marketing". It one of a series of paperbacks on marketing your business. Very good in my opinion :thumbsup:

There are a lot of silly business books out there (Who moved my Cheese? Puhlease! :rolleyes: ). I think I've mentioned this here before, but any person starting a business or an organization should own The Tipping Point and Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. It will give you quite an eye-opening look at the psychology of why people make the decisions they make, and how the world is very "networked" and how ideas act like ripples in a pond. You have to understand people to be successful in business.

I've paged through some of those "how to start a business in 30 day" crap and that's all it is. I didn't really expect much for the "starting business" literature.

Thanks for the mention...

Barbara Sher has written several great career guidance books, which could be more useful than any "Small Biz 4 Dummies" tome. "I could do anything if only I knew what it was" is in the title of one such.

E.g. let's say you have a strong interest in trains...what can you do with your life that will a) make going "to work" fun 2) parlay that interest into a career iii) support yourself? She has some great ideas, and her books are well-written and packed with suggestions about how to get past the dreaming/I can't stage.

HTH

Thank you!

This is what I read:

"....Shannon brings extensive leadership experience in economic development. For 10 years, she has served as the director of Economic Development for the city of Grand Rapids, Mich. In Grand Rapids, Shannon negotiated more than 50 development agreements with businesses and developers. She initiated and served as executive director to the Smartzone Authority, a tax increment financing program aimed at building a science and technology economic base for the region. And Shannon successfully established a Renaissance Zone and Brownfield Redevelopment Program, which generated more than $7.5 million of investment in contaminated and underutilized commercial and industrial property and created 6,250 new jobs...."

OMG, she's done a lot for GR. I still can't belive all the development downtown. Now when I was in high school... (12 years ago!) :)

Interesting scene downtown today. Devos Hall had the Grand Rapids Ballet's production of the Nutcracker, and the convention center had the Mason Dixon Dixieland Challenge (indoor race track). Monroe Ave was packed with people dressed in their semi-formal Christmas attire (a lot of black and red), and a bunch of rednecks. :lol:

And the ice-skating rink is up and running again. :yahoo:

Interesting scene downtown today. Devos Hall had the Grand Rapids Ballet's production of the Nutcracker, and the convention center had the Mason Dixon Dixieland Challenge (indoor race track). Monroe Ave was packed with people dressed in their semi-formal Christmas attire (a lot of black and red), and a bunch of rednecks. :lol:

And the ice-skating rink is up and running again. :yahoo:

And the vicinity of Fulton and St Cece's was all heavy metal. (About 30 players came out for TUBACHRISTMAS. The Flute Boutique bought us brunch.)