The Watering Hole

lol at my typo. I'm too old to be so young. Thanks.

*EDIT* I found the answer to my own question by simply emailing the GRPD. The count was 24 for 2006.

I love living in a city where the departments are responsive and helpful. (No, I am not being sarcastic. As a former employee of Another Large City on the Other Side of the State, I have seen way too much of the opposite.)

Bet I could get the tire-eating longitudinal crack in the bike travel area of the Michigan St Hill fixed...

Looks nice, but there's a cingular icon in the corner =[

License it for T-Mobile, and wait until the price goes down some, then it's a big possibility for me. I've been eyeing those Sidekicks now for a few years.. this looks like a Sidekick on steroids without the camera. Or the keyboard. =/

Y'know, I'd rather just stick with a sidekick and a laptop. I have a Nokia with a fold-out keyboard, and I don't think I could use any phone without one.

Looks nice, but there's a cingular icon in the corner =[

License it for T-Mobile, and wait until the price goes down some, then it's a big possibility for me. I've been eyeing those Sidekicks now for a few years.. this looks like a Sidekick on steroids without the camera. Or the keyboard. =/

Y'know, I'd rather just stick with a sidekick and a laptop. I have a Nokia with a fold-out keyboard, and I don't think I could use any phone without one.

I'm ready to dish out the funds...it's pretty much what I want in a phone and then some! Can't wait to see one in June. Leave it to Apple, as if they don't already get a large chunk of my salary! =) tSlater, it DOES have a 2Mp camera and the keyboard shows up on the screen when you need it and is touch sensitive. Even my wife saw it and said, "Please can I get one?"

Just think, maybe someday we can charge it by just placing it in our cupholders thanks to Alticor and Fulton Innovation! :D

Edited by mgreven

I love living in a city where the departments are responsive and helpful. (No, I am not being sarcastic. As a former employee of Another Large City on the Other Side of the State, I have seen way too much of the opposite.)

Bet I could get the tire-eating longitudinal crack in the bike travel area of the Michigan St Hill fixed...

Speak of the devil, I actually wrote the police department of "Another Large City on the Side of the State Who's Name Can Not Be Mentioned" about a similar question and, to my own surprise, to be quite honest, they got back to me in the next business day about the question (i.e. I emailed my question the night of the 8th, and they got back to me today). Perhaps, customer service is back in style. lol

Edited by Lmichigan

I'm ready to dish out the funds...it's pretty much what I want in a phone and then some! Can't wait to see one in June. Leave it to Apple, as if they don't already get a large chunk of my salary! =) tSlater, it DOES have a 2Mp camera and the keyboard shows up on the screen when you need it and is touch sensitive. Even my wife saw it and said, "Please can I get one?"

Just think, maybe someday we can charge it by just placing it in our cupholders thanks to Alticor and Fulton Innovation! :D

So how much longer will it be until everything is run by one little device? Right now we have computer/address books/phones/cameras/mp3 players. I say the next step is adding a remote car starter, TV remote, flux capacitor and an interocitor

Anyone really want to dish out $599 for this sleek new gadget?

http://www.apple.com/iphone

Not available until June, but it looks pretty nice. It could replace a bunch of gadgets we have - MP3 player, satellite maps system, mobile phone, digital camera and email. Wow.

Nope. I have yet to see a cell phone that takes even decent digital photos, and the rest I would never use. I already have an IPOD shuffle that seldom gets used except for workouts. And I thought spending $100 for my Razr phone was a lot. :lol:

(I have yet to figure out the appeal of Apple)

Speak of the devil, I actually wrote the police department of "Another Large City on the Side of the State Who's Name Can Not Be Mentioned" about a similar question and, to my own surprise, to be quite honest, they got back to me in the next business day about the question (i.e. I emailed my question the night of the 8th, and they got back to me today). Perhaps, customer service is back in style. lol

Huh. I was in Planning & Development. Collected quite a stack of rave reviews from citizens in the 6 months I was there. "You actually got back to me!?!?"

And the engineering plan review carrels...they had my phone number up on the wall. (Someone told me that in the following job. When I verified it, I told the dept that I'd left several months previously.) My mole asked about the posting, and was told, "she's helpful."

Huh. I was in Planning & Development. Collected quite a stack of rave reviews from citizens in the 6 months I was there. "You actually got back to me!?!?"

And the engineering plan review carrels...they had my phone number up on the wall. (Someone told me that in the following job. When I verified it, I told the dept that I'd left several months previously.) My mole asked about the posting, and was told, "she's helpful."

Ha! Isn't it sad that doing a job competently gets rave reviews? Sometimes, it gets me how poor customer service has become in so many fields.

Ha! Isn't it sad that doing a job competently gets rave reviews? Sometimes, it gets me how poor customer service has become in so many fields.

Yep. Every citizen who sent me a T-Y note mentioned how they'd previously been bounced around from one department to the next.

The one caller posed a great problem. Lived next to a church's parking lot, and there were issues with gravel, headlights, noise, you name it. I found the specs in the zoning ordinance and shared them with her. Turns out the church had not gone through the proper special land use process required of any automotive use (among others), so that got fixed. (I do not know the outcome; this was almost four years ago.)

What's truly sad is: it's so easy to be competent.

"There is no distinction in mediocrity." --George Cavender, my old band director at U-M

Edited by Veloise

It'll come down to who started using it first. If this name has been in company documents for Apple long before Cisco ever mentioned it, Apple could get the rights to the name. I remember learning that the most powerful tool in terms of copyrights and patents and trademarks isn't the actual trademark or copyright, but rather proof of who had it first. You can come up with a concept, mail a copy of your concept to yourself and keep it sealed (postage date is federal proof of time) and if Microsoft comes up with your same idea later on and starts selling it, you can use that little piece of mail to prove it's your idea.

I'm guessing Cisco had an insider at Apple and jumped on that name, hoping that Apple had not already taken the means to secure the name. Considering Apple's gone ahead with the iPhone name, I'm guessing the execs at Apple are confident they have proof of concept predating Cisco's.

It'll come down to who started using it first. If this name has been in company documents for Apple long before Cisco ever mentioned it, Apple could get the rights to the name. I remember learning that the most powerful tool in terms of copyrights and patents and trademarks isn't the actual trademark or copyright, but rather proof of who had it first. You can come up with a concept, mail a copy of your concept to yourself and keep it sealed (postage date is federal proof of time) and if Microsoft comes up with your same idea later on and starts selling it, you can use that little piece of mail to prove it's your idea.

I'm guessing Cisco had an insider at Apple and jumped on that name, hoping that Apple had not already taken the means to secure the name. Considering Apple's gone ahead with the iPhone name, I'm guessing the execs at Apple are confident they have proof of concept predating Cisco's.

It's really interesting the way this case is. Cisco acquired a company way back in 2000 who held the "iPhone" trademark. According to the trademark standards, a company is required to protect its trademark. Cisco has held the iPhone trademark for six years until they decided to start using the name for one of their new voip product, which was about three months ago. I think Cisco started to think up a big scheme when the iPhone hit websites all across the Internet, like Digg.com, who used the name quite frequently. They could of cared less about the websites using their trademark until Steve Jobs announced at the Macworld keynote that their new product would be dubbed "iPhone."

Cisco now thinks they can sue them over a trademark that they held (and abandoned) until they knew that (through some sort of insider or just based on the usage of the iPhone name on the Internet) Apple was going to announce their new phone. Pretty ridiculous now that they are wanting tons of money (you can guess how much they want) for a trademark they simply did not care for until now.

Plus, it's kind of ridiculous that companies would do such things like register trademarks for names with "iSomething" when it's pretty obvious that when someone thinks of an "iSomething," they're more likely to think of Apple than anything else, trying to get Apple's money, especially since Apple already holds a suite of iSomethings such as the iMac, iPod, and iBook.

I believe Apple will ultimately win.

Lately these PODS have been showing up all around town.

I really hate seeing two of them on a public plaza.

354347512_a8546233cb.jpg

354347267_ff04e6229f.jpg

That looks like #@$%^&*.

Did they pull a permit the way the ad agency did for the plastic cow? (At least it was cute. The boxes just make it look like someone's pulling out.)