The Watering Hole

alright ya'll I was on wikipedia this evening bored. checked out the Grand Rapids part of it. I noticed my first obvious wiki-discrepency. If you scroll down to the "Demographics" section of the article. It states Grand Rapids 2000 census numbers at 210,800.......... we wish. It mentions the correct 2000 #'s a little a couple other places at 197,800. It seems like an over eager wiki-resident there gave us a 13,000 resident boost and while that's all great, it's wrong.

Does anyone have wiki-powers to correct it? It's not a big deal at all. heheheh I'm just a population nerd, perhaps not as adament as Phizzy. I just like things to be correctly represented. Of course it could be right if the census bureau made a correction but i'm damn near positive GR wasn't one of those cities.

alright ya'll I was on wikipedia this evening bored. checked out the Grand Rapids part of it. I noticed my first obvious wiki-discrepency. If you scroll down to the "Demographics" section of the article. It states Grand Rapids 2000 census numbers at 210,800.......... we wish. It mentions the correct 2000 #'s a little a couple other places at 197,800. It seems like an over eager wiki-resident there gave us a 13,000 resident boost and while that's all great, it's wrong.

Does anyone have wiki-powers to correct it? It's not a big deal at all. heheheh I'm just a population nerd, perhaps not as adament as Phizzy. I just like things to be correctly represented. Of course it could be right if the census bureau made a correction but i'm damn near positive GR wasn't one of those cities.

Anyone can edit on Wikipedia. Just click on the word EDIT over to the top right of the contended piece.

They're going to have to redesign parts of their site in a year or two. The skyline shot will soon need to be updated with the JW., and in a year or two, River House as well, but the logo and site name are right where River House will be, so they'll have to alter the size of the name or relocate it.

Anywho, two things:

It seems downtown isn't really that dead after dark. After learning the Dog Pit was open till 2:30 am, I decided to stop by for a dog after I got done DJing Saturday night. That place was PACKED with people.. in fact, that was the busiest I've ever seen it. Line was almost to the door, almost all the tables and chairs were filled, and the worker said that all this was "nothing". If that's nothing, I'm afraid to see what "something" is.

Second, has anybody notised that there's been a train sitting on top of the Division / 28th rail bridges for nearly a month now? What's up with that?

The city site seems marginally better than it was before. They're spending enough money on it, anyway...

One HUGE improvement is that they've made their awesome mapping system much more accessible. There's a link to it on the front page:

https://ims.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/viewer.htm

It looks like it's undergoing some technical difficulties right now or something, but it's very nice. You can use the map to find exactly where an abandoned car or pothole is, and then report it to the city. Applications like that are the way local governments should use technology.

The city site seems marginally better than it was before. They're spending enough money on it, anyway...

In fact, the graphic artist who did most of the upgrading is a long-time city employee. (Chris also does the Bike GR map, and he created the wayfinding signs, and...lotsofother stuff.) Bandwidth doesn't cost much once you've already bought it.

One HUGE improvement is that they've made their awesome mapping system much more accessible. There's a link to it on the front page:

https://ims.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/viewer.htm

It looks like it's undergoing some technical difficulties right now or something, but it's very nice. You can use the map to find exactly where an abandoned car or pothole is, and then report it to the city. Applications like that are the way local governments should use technology.

This is an excellent tool, and it seems to send an auto-message to the appropriate department, who then heads right out with cold patch, lightbulbs, or a shovel. I used this last Weds to report the non-functioning streetlight out front of my place; it was fixed by Friday evening. Also reported grafitti on one of the aforementioned wayfinding signs, but haven't check to see its status. It's probably been cleaned up.

[yep, I read the RFP for wayfinding sign maintenance and upgrades...would love to do that, but...]

Edited by Veloise

"Heard it through the grapevine" - she's only 30.

Big plans, Triple G? gonna go do something new and different to celebrate? Wining, dining, dancing? (Whoops...see a previous post about Sunday morning/liver donor.) Dye yer hair purple? (BTDT)

This was fun and I recommend it.

nieces.jpg

(my nieces assaulting my purchase from Party USA, out here in God's country--I mean, Waterfall Plaza)

For my 30th I coordinated my very first Tuba Christmas, got my pic in the Freep, article in the Det News.