Lansing Off Topic

hood

Check this article out, from November 2001, it is about Hollister and his efforts in the city: Hollister

He talks of things I never heard about, he was in serious talks with GM to locate their e-GM headquarters here. And there were serious talks of putting a $40 million performing arts center in Lansing, renderings were even prepared. It's too bad none of this ever panned out, I wonder if any of it is still on the table?

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was extremely suprised that they found a use for the Wohlert building, I really wasn't expecting that. Still not to happy about a 100+ year old business with over 200 employees closing :( . It will be interesting to see if they are successful, I'm also trying to find out what exactly the plan is for the old Melling Forge.

I've always been confused by this, is this the Melling Forge on the south or northside? I assume it's the one of the southside. From what I hear, the project includes some pretty impressive landscapping.

BTW, I passed the old Wolhert factory again, and noticed that they are using high-quality red brick for the office portion of this building facing onto Grand River. The physcially factory will look even better than before, but it is sad that the company ended.

What's a joke? I actually watched the city council meeting where the developer talked about this project, but wasn't paying much attention. It's supposed to really help the area up that way in terms of jobs. In fact, I was suprised to see that they have FINALLY started building a sidewalk along the Cedar/Larch Street Viaduct/Bridge. It would be great to see this area up and running as industry again, and it looks like that is going to happen.

The only problem is that there is an abundance of industrial for lease in this area. The old Motor Wheel factory that GM fixed up a couple years ago is fixed up top-notch, there is fiber, high voltage lines, new windows, ect... It was leasing for rates that were close to those of other facilities around town. It was up for lease for about 2-3 years, it is no longer listed but I doubt they found a tenant, the building is nearly 300,000 sq ft for the remodeled part, nearly another 300,000 sq ft for the older parts with the same address, any building this large would of been on the news if a company moved into it. My best guess is that it was taken off the market and leased as warehouse space. This area has poor access to freeways and there have been problems with people breaking into industrial buildings around here, the most frequent victim seems to be Bannasch Welding on Lake Lansing for scrap metal. The Melling Forge in particular is in EXTREMELY poor shape, and it is in the middle of a neighborhood, with narrow residential streets, not good for industrial. This space simply won't go for industrial, at best it can be leased as storage space or for small business, something like the John Bean building on Cedar.

Man, this was supposed to be a quality development, and all it is a Dollar General, a party store, and what will most likely be some check chasing place. Blah.

BTW, it's already under construction. They were clearing the site the other day. It was originally supposed to be a center that attracted higher quality businesses, but I guessed they scrapped that idea. But, when you realize the demographic of the neighborhood, and just how really poor the area is around there, it makes since.

I'm just sick of seeing dollar stores and party stores all over the city.

The area isn't too poor, Traditions and Edgewood Villas are lower income, but Georgtown is decent, the Arbors of Georgetown are easily middle class, and the houses around here generally sell for $100,000-$130,000, most of which are owner-occupied. This is yet another area that has received an undeserved bad name, it's far from the best but better than many think. This development is about right for the area though, there should be something a bit nicer in that "avalible" section to even out the building.

Hi guys. I stumbled upon this a while ago and commend your research on the downtown Lansing areas. Although I do believe that you have one area very misconstrued. REO TOWN: In addition of the underused Cadillac Club; currently the old Bozzo building is awaiting city approval to be transferred into the possession of the Dalmations Diner and Grill that is quickly becoming one of Lansings most popular breakfast/lunch spots. There are a few top secret plans for the Old Train Station and the parking lot grounds next to it, that would drastically change the perception of REO TOWN. Also its rumored that the Michigan Electric building has been purchased by the same person owns Pinball Petes in EL. With the lofts being built above the new home of an expanding Architecture firm, Lofts going above the old Danzos hardware, and companies like Van Huettens and Pinball Petes trying to make sure they get into the picture, I think that as long as downtown flourishs, REO TOWN has what it takes to draw a substantial, if somewhat different consumer base. Just thought I could inform you all because you seem to be up on all the other happenings in the city! I think its great!

That parking lot down there is HUGE. I can't wait to see what takes it's place. The train station, like Clara's, would make a perfect destination restaurant, or even a museum. The land around it would make for a great retail district. There is enough empty space to add both shops at street level, and a parking area behind it all to continue the streetscape along Washington Avenue and South Street.

I would like to see that train station be turned into a resturaunt, but not a museum. The R E Olds museum was considering a move to there along with an addition to it. To me thats a bad decision, Lansing's museums should be kept in the immediate downtown area. A new museum district would be nice, but I don't know of any locations that would work, except maybe by the State Historical Museum.