Lansing Off Topic

hood

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post this awhile ago but the Michigan Resturaunt Association is planning to tear down their building at Washtenaw & Townsend to build a larger, but still only 2 story building covering their entire lot. I's a vary small project, I think around 30,000 sq ft, but if it is a well designed building it could really improve the streetscape, encouraging more development.

LCC is building yet another new building on their downtown campus, the $10 million, 32,000 sq. ft. University Center. It will house LCC's 4 year programs as it parnters with 4 year universities to offer them here. It will be constructed on the site of Old Central, and will include the remodeling of the Carnegie Library. My ony concern with this project is that They will build a sprawling one or two story building to take op the enire block, which would be alright if it is able to support additional floors. I think the whatever they build shoul allow for massive expansion possibilities because I think these 4 year programs will become extremely popular and will likely outgrow this building in just a few years. But as of right now, there is very little info on this project besides this article: My Webpagehttp://www.mlive.com/mbusinessreview/lansing/index.ssf?/mbusinessreview/lansing/stories/20051208_lcc.html

I was just looking at the Grand Rapids thread for the first time in quite a while and it's very depressing for those of us here in Lansing, or at least me. It seems that nothing is ever going to happen Lansing, they have just announced a 9 and 10 story building up there and its treated like it's just another project and we hype up a 4 story development that isn't even all that great. All I can say is that i hope Lansing begins to take off the way Grand Rapids has within 5 or so years, maybe you were right Lmich, Virg may be the one to make this happen. He is inheriting a bit of momentum, at least enough to build on if he plays his cards right.

Grand Rapids is a much larger area. On top of that, It's not squeezed in so close to two larger metros like Lansing is. It really dilutes Lansing's pulling power. Still, I think the city is doing pretty good considering, and things only look to be getting better. If the Stadium District takes off, you can be sure that we will finally see at least a mid-rise residential tower. I try not to compare Lansing and Grand Rapids seeing as how the dynamics of the two are so different.

The oddest thing is that Grand Rapids, for the longest time, was the epitome of a conservative, "small town attidude" midwestern city. It is the last place that you would expect to see a a flourishing downtown with art galleries and lofts. Grand Rapids' size would not have seemed to be much of a factor, and I still don't understand how they do it. Lansing on the other hand, despite being just over half the size of GR has a very liberal population and a large university, the ideal conditions for those type of developments, yet we lag so far behind. I think that if Lansing can get the ball rolling on downtown development and bring in high tech and medical jobs we will see a building boom that we couldn't even imagine. That is all thanks ro MSU if we can give students a reason to stay in Lansing, we will see A LOT of development. But beyond housing and jobs we must also provide entertainment, such as art galleries, theater and museums. This is all within reach, even in the very near future if things are done right, and I think were on the right path, it's just all going to slow for me.

The thing was, Grands Rapid's self-isolation may have been negative for their national image, but they've been building for this current boom for years. They are not one to toot their own horn, which is why it is so much more satisfying to them when they shock people with their progressive attitude.

As for the conservative thing, many people confuse West Michigan religiosity with that of Southern-style religiosity, which are two different types. The Christian Reformed Church (the dominant one in the area) is actually pretty moderate with a pretty sizeable anti-war subset, actually. They also don't trumpet their religion like many of the churches in the South.

The huge difference between GR and Lansing (outside of their different sizes) is how much more heavily Lansing relied on heavy manufacturing than Grand Rapids. Apart from Detroit and Flint, Lansing is the other big manufacturing center in Michigan.

I never miss the City Pulse. They always have the best development news. This weeks issue was full of great things. It seems that Mayor Bernero has stirred up a refound interest in thinking big, something Benavides seemed to drop. Let's just hope that all of this momentum doesn't die. Bernero looks like he's attracted Lansing's brightest and best, and hopefully, this will be enough to get the community excited about the city again. Sometimes, all it takes is a cheerleader to get the community excited and interested again.

This should fit perfectly in an off topic thread...

Well, anyway, yesterday an errand took me to the Michigan National Tower (I'll never call it Boji Tower, lol) for the first time in years. In fact, I don't really remember much of my last visit I was so young, so this was like entering it anew. I'd been trying for a few years now to find and excuse to visit the tower, and finally found one. lol

Anyway, my observations:

1. The lobby was much smaller then I thought it would be. In fact, everything was smaller than I thought it would be. What I did find impressive is what used to be the banking hall. I only got a peak of it, but it looks like it's two stories in height with a balcony around it, kind of like an old library.

2. There is minimal retail on the ground floor. I think all I saw was convenience store.

3. I had to go the the 16th floor and I was surprised at how tiny the offices are in the tower. This is great for small tenants, but the floor plans aren't great for a big company looking to relocate downtown and who'd one their employees on few floors as possible. The views, though, are excellent. The office/store I had to go to was at the south east corner.

Something else interesting, Auto Owners may build a new world headqaurters, this is from the heartland real estate business newspaper (10/04):

"There are various projects underfoot for development in DeWitt, a community north of Lansing. Auto Owners Insurance Group recently purchased 300 acres of land near Interstate 69 and may move its world headquarters to the area."

Full article

I would urge Lansing to attempt to make Auto Owners consider Downtown for there new headquarters, you would be talking a very large building, probably 500,000 sq ft+. They need to offer aggressive tax incentives, such as the ones offered to GM. Auto Owners woul likely bring around 2,000 workers downtown meaning a lot of income and property taxes for the city.

Send that idea on to Virg.

I highly doubt, though, having already purchased the land that they don't plan to move to that land. It would be different if they put out there a few months back they were looking to move, but it looks like their mind is already made up.

BTW, isn't the currrent Auto Owners Insurance headquarters in Delta Township fairly new? Didn't they just expand not too many years back?

Yes, it is new they just built their third large building out there within the last couple years. Thats part of why I don't think they would be too attached to any one idea, or that land. I would say that if Auto Owners is really looking to build a new headquarters and Lansing actively persues them, we have a reasonable, if not good chance of attracting them.

I think it really depends on how much they bought the land for. Companies like this rarely just buy land unless they don't plan to develop them.

But, if they could get them downtown it would be perfect if Joel Ferguson and Gary Granger could work them into the Triangle Lot plan. Then, the state wouldn't have to foot the whole bill, Auto Owners would get their new headquarters, and we'd probably get a much taller building. These are, of course, only dreams. I would suggest you post this on one of the appropriate topics at Lansing's Future, Bernero's transition website. I think he and his team actually read it. I had a chance to what part of one of the town hall meetings he's held and there are alot of good ideas flying around.

I emailed him and one of his people replied saying that it is something they are already aware of and have been working on. Maybe the inactivity on the pice of land is due to Auto Owners having second thoughts about building there. Hopefully thats what it is.

In a conversation with Steve Hayward, planning director for Lansing Township, he indicated that a very large area in Dewitt Township in the area between State Rd. and I-69 was recently rezoned for heavy industrial. I would if the site mentioned here falls into this area.

Edited by Northman

• 2 weeks later...

What does everyone think about the "This Equals That" sculpture that was removed from the Capitol Plaza a couple years ago. I was reminded of it recently and heard the there were proposals to restore it and place it somewhere in downtown Lansing. One idea was to clad it in Michigan copper and place it of a "sea of green glass," made from the same plastic used in green pop bottles, except they thought it should be placed where the Stadium District is going. I was thinking it should be clad as that person proposed and placed on the 400 block of Washington Sq. since LCC now owns that anyways and it won't be a road again. They estimated the cost of recladding and placing it at $1 million, and I'm sure that could easily be paid for by grants and fundraising. I posted this idea on Lansingsfuture.com and emailed Bernero about it. What does everyone else think?

I never really liked it, but the idea of recladding it in copper would be a pretty good idea. I guess it's better than them rotting away in a field southwest of Lansing like they are now.

Personally, I'd like to see a new park downtown, and see it placed in the middle as a centerpiece of sorts, and lit at night. Either that, or place it somewhere in Riverfront Park or somewhere else along a prominent place on the River Trail.

I think Riverfront Park would be good, but I definately don't want to see more park space downtown, there is already plently of park space there. My main point is I would like to see more major sculpures downtown and this would be a good start.

Good news, the state has $318 million budget SURPLUS!!! Yes that's a surplus. This is good news for a possible State police Headquarters, which has been delayed due to budget problems since 2001.

yeah, where'd you hear that? state senators are taking a pay cut to try to reduce the deficit.