Cincy Living

Britainny

We are thinking of moving to Cincinnati (job reasons) and I was hoping I could get some honest input from some people that live there. I've done a little research online but I'd much rather get info directly from residents.

I would like opinions on Hyde Park or areas that are safe to raise children, High schools and the quality of life in general. We currently live in Jax, Fl and realise what we have here but I'm sure Cincinnati has many things to offer aswell. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, the Queen City. Coming from a new city like Jacksonville, it will definitely be a change of pace-Cincy is one of the oldest cities in the midwest, along with Pittsburgh and St. Louis.

It all depends on what your price range and needs are. If you are looking for city living, I can recommend Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout, which are adjacent neighborhoods. They're both very upscale and a bit pricey. Both have nice main streets. Norwood is a first ring suburb that is much more affordable, has nice housing stock, and you can still walk or jog to Hyde Park. Make sure to get some Graeter's ice cream while you're there.

Then there's Mt. Adams, which sits up on a hill overlooking the downtown, the Ohio River, and northern Kentucky. Beautiful. Somewhat pricey.

The whole downtown Cincy-northern Kentucky area is experiencing a rebirth. Try Newport on the Levee in Kentucky for entertainment.

That's all I've got. I have no idea about school systems. If you like suburbs, Cincy's got those too. I just haven't been to any of them :)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The University of Cinci is a pretty good school academically. What is your intended major. I went there for my Freshman and half of my Sophomore year then transferred to OSU. The thing I didn't like about it was that the campus and surrounding area were dead after 3:00pm and since the demolition of the adjacent shops and restaurants there is nothing to eat in the neighborhood after 7pm except for what you can find at Kroger, CVS and Walgreens. They were supposed to build a new project where they demoed but that project will not be occuring anytime soon.

The University of Cinci is a pretty good school academically. What is your intended major. I went there for my Freshman and half of my Sophomore year then transferred to OSU. The thing I didn't like about it was that the campus and surrounding area were dead after 3:00pm and since the demolition of the adjacent shops and restaurants there is nothing to eat in the neighborhood after 7pm except for what you can find at Kroger, CVS and Walgreens. They were supposed to build a new project where they demoed but that project will not be occuring anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but if the area you live in now is pretty flat then travel in Cincy is going to be confusing.

When I first moved there I was lost on side streets the first six months. The freeways aren't too hard to figure out, but the side streets can really twist your sense of direction.

I really liked it afterwards. Great architecture.

• 4 months later...

Archived