The old Duke Power site in DT Greensboro

cityboi

What would you like to see built on the old Duke Power Site in downtown Greensboro?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see built on the old Duke Power Site in downtown Greensboro?

• entertainment complex with an urban multiplex
    • educational science center with IMAX theater
    • research & technology center
    • aqaurium
    • ART VILLAGE with galleries, art park and art design school
    • mixed-use urban residential village
    • ACC Hall of Champions & Museum
    • public plaza and gardens
    • sports complex with a soccer field or baseball field & tennis
    • downtown school
    • other (explain)

Its one of the very few large tract sites available in downtown Greensboro and is bounded by the railroad tracks, the Children's Museum, Church Street and Friendly Ave. The land was once considered for the baseball stadium but it was a tight fit and there are some envioronmental problems on the land. What do you all think should be down with this land?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, An IMAX is actually in phase 3 of Action Greensboro's downtown master plan. Since the IMAX plan in Winston-Salem fell appart, Greensboro leaders will likely move forward with comunicating with IMAX so they will consider an IMAX as a part of the proposed downtown science center. Id actually rather for it to be an Omnimax. Basically its an IMAX but the screen is a dome. One thing that surprises people when they first go to an IMAX is the size of the screen wether its flat or domed. The screens are typically about 4 to 5 stories tall and the seating is positioned on a very steep incline. The screens are so wide, they pretty much take up all of your vision so it looks like your are in the movie instead of watching a screen.

I voted aquarium. Given the emphaisis in that area towards kids and family, an aquarium would be a nice addition.

Besides that, an IMAX would be nice there too.

I wonder how well the parking deck that is there holds the traffic already there, and if it could handle more. Would more parking space be needed for whatever was in there? Also, didnt that building become a school for a while? Did the school move out? Its been a bit of time since I drove by there.

There is a private school across the street from the site in the old duke power building. Church Street Parking deck is also across the street and there is on street parking so there would be plenty of parking for an aqaurium/IMAX. I think an aquarium is a great idea and would draw people and school children from Charlotte and Raleigh. Maybe a local group should try to put concepts together for an aqaurium. The only stumblling block would be how to pay for it. I think the state should pay for most of it but the money would have to be in the budget for it.

I would just wonder if other alternatives would be needed for parking regardless of what is there. The times I have used the church st deck it has usually seemed close to full. Bus parking also would be needed if whatever is put there brings in school kids.

and yes, funding whatever goes there definately would be an issue. I wonder if either an aquarium or IMAX could somehow be associated with the Natural Science Center on Lawndale...

I think its possible but does the city run the natural science center? If it does, some city council members such as Sandy Carmany or Tom Phillips would be against the city running an aquarium. I think it would be a good idea if it could be operated by the local universities since it would be an educational attraction.

I think its possible but does the city run the natural science center? If it does, some city council members such as Sandy Carmany or Tom Phillips would be against the city running an aquarium. I think it would be a good idea if it could be operated by the local universities since it would be an educational attraction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.natsci.org/MediaRoomFacts&Fig.html

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/budget/FY%200...0Recreation.pdf

Seems like from this...that it is city supported to some degree at least. Also seems that they also have a strong connection already with universities in the area. (universities that are tax payer supported at that) It is considered a science museum.

IMO it would fit well as an IMAX or Aquarium for educational purposes with the children's museum, the city cultural arts center, the library, and the historical museum.

Archived