Just How Tall is Signature Tower?

Hankster

On the website for the signature tower there is a section showing floor plans and diagrams. There is a diagram which shows the height to the top of the penthouse follr as 635 ft. I would post tthe diagram right here for everyone to view, but I haven't figured out how to do that. :cry: Maybe someone else from the forum can post this diagram. Studyong the diagram in diagram from the Church Street side and going up, this is what one sees:

A 16 Ft high first floor - The first floor should be this high to provide ample space for lobbies, and for the retail establishments.

2 floors each 10 feet high - These are the first two floors which line up with the parking garage levels. I thinks 10 ft levels make sense for these. Up to this point we are at 36 feet high and 3 floors. This matches up with the 36 feet indicated on the diagram.

11 more floors each 10 feet high - These also line up with the levels of the parking garage. The diagram shows these 11 floor measure 110 ft. Up to this point we are at 146 ft high and 14 floors.

1 floor 15 feet high - This is a transition floor between the parking garage and the residential units above. The diagram shows this floor as being 15 ft tall. Up to this point we are at 161 ft high and 15 floors.

17 floors each 11 feet high - These are the apartments and condos priced up to $270,000. It makes sense that these floors be 11 feet high to allow possibly 9 to 10 foot ceilings. The diagram shows that these 17 floors are 187 feet high. Up to this point we are at 348 ft high and 32 floors.

13 floors also each 11 feet high - This is a continuation of the same type condos on the 17 floors just below. The diagram shows that these 13 floors are 143 feet high. Up to this point we are at 491 ft high and 45 floors.

12 floors each 12 feet high - These are the floors for the penthouse units and possibly some of the higher priced condo units. The diagram shows that these 12 floors are 144 feet high. There is a transition midway up these floors to smaller floors. Up to this point we are at 635 feet high (the same height depicted on the diagram) and 57 floors. Yes, 57 floors, not 55!!! Either Tony G. is not counting a couple of floors for some reason, or there is a problem with this diagram. For other tall towers, I've attempted to count floors, and many times can't count as many floors as are claimed for the building. This is the opposite case. I'm counting MORE floors than are claimed for the building.

A beautiful (IMO) tower and spire - The bottom portion of the spire seems to have three floors (possibly housing building mechanical equipment???) that are covered in silver glass. In many building those floors would be counted. If we counted these, the Sinature Tower floor total would be now reach 60!!! Wow!!! I've tried the best I can the measure the height of the tower and spire based on this diagram, and have come up with a figure of 217 ft!!! Unfortunately, this critical measurement is not shown on the diagram. Adding the spire, I believe Signature Tower rises above Church Street an astonishing 852 ft high and 57, possibly 60 floors!!!

But buildings are usually meared from their lowest point to their highest point. Church Street is not the lowest point for Signature Tower. The lowest point is at the opposite end of the building at the back end of the parking garage. As best as I can tell from the diagram, this would add yet another 24 feet to Signature Towers's height and bring the final tally to 876 ft high!!! If my assumptions are true, Signatute Tower may well be taller than every other building currently standing in the Southeast except one, the Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my assumptions are true, Signatute Tower may well be taller than every other building currently standing in the Southeast except one, the Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watch out! Them's fightin' words! ;)

Seriously, I found your observations (and diligent work) thought provoking enough to take a second look at the illustration. Just eyeballing the building in comparison to those around it and the segment of floors just below the spire, I'll weigh in with an estimated height of the spire at just under 100 feet (total of 720-740 ft). If true, you guys still get a very beautiful building that looks great (and in scale) to the buildings around it. Regardless of whether it'll be 55, 57 or even 60 floors, it's graceful and tall enough to add a lot to the skyline.

Being my long-winded self, I'll make another point. Mr. G is understandably being evasive about specifics on this building. It's still just a proposal, but I hope it sees reality. More to the point of Tony's modus operandi... it seems to me like many of those in charge in downtown Nashville can be very tough (dare I say even political) when it comes to design standards, heights, new office space, etc.). Accordingly, he has been careful to work with the powers that be, and probably won't tip his hand more than he has to at the moment. Regarding the building's ultimate height, I'll bet it hasn't yet been determined.

That depends on what you call the south.

If Texas is included then the tallest towers after the BOA in Atlanta are:

1) JPMorganChase.............Houston........1002'

2)Wells Fargo....................Houston........0972'

3) BOA Tower....................Dallas..........0921'

4) Wiliams Tower...............Houston........0901'

5) Renaissance Tower.........Dallas..........0886'

The next tallest in line are co-shared by Charlotte's BOA building at 871' and Atlanta's Suntrust Plaza at 871'. If your calculations are correct then the Signature Tower would be 6th. Keep in mind however that Miami and New Orleans both have towers propsed in the 900' range.

Keep in mind however that Miami and New Orleans both have towers propsed in the 900' range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Lady. For what it's worth, I consider Texas to be part of the south... just not the southeast.

Cool news about New Orleans! Got any details?

That depends on what you call the south.

If Texas is included then the tallest towers after the BOA in Atlanta are:

1) JPMorganChase.............Houston........1002'

2)Wells Fargo....................Houston........0972'

3) BOA Tower....................Dallas..........0921'

4) Wiliams Tower...............Houston........0901'

5) Renaissance Tower.........Dallas..........0886'

The next tallest in line are co-shared by Charlotte's BOA building at 871' and Atlanta's Suntrust Plaza at 871'. If your calculations are correct then the Signature Tower would be 6th. Keep in mind however that Miami and New Orleans both have towers propsed in the 900' range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I carefully made sure that I refered to the southeast only, knowing that there are several towers in Texas that are taller. Also, I am quite sure that some other towers will probably be built that would be taller before the Signature is completed. However, I still stand by my statement. I carefully and conservatively estimated the tower and spires height, and I firmly believe that the design shown is 876 feet tall.

On the website for the signature tower there is a section showing floor plans and diagrams.  There is a diagram which shows the height to the top of the penthouse follr as 635 ft.  I would post tthe diagram right here for everyone to view, but I haven't figured out how to do that.  :cry:  Maybe someone else from the forum can post this diagram.  Studyong the diagram in diagram from the Church Street side and going up, this is what one sees:

A 16 Ft high first floor  -  The first floor should be this high to provide ample space for lobbies, and for the retail establishments.

2 floors each 10 feet high -  These are the first two floors which line up with the parking garage levels.  I thinks 10 ft levels make sense for these.  Up to this point we are at 36 feet high and 3 floors.  This matches up with the 36 feet indicated on the diagram.

11 more floors each 10 feet high - These also line up with the levels of the parking garage.  The diagram shows these 11 floor measure 110 ft.  Up to this point we are at 146 ft high and 14 floors.

1 floor 15 feet high - This is a transition floor between the parking garage and the residential units above.  The diagram shows this floor as being 15 ft tall.  Up to this point we are at 161 ft high and 15 floors.

17 floors each 11 feet high - These are the apartments and condos priced up to $270,000.  It makes sense that these floors be 11 feet high to allow possibly 9 to 10 foot ceilings.  The diagram shows that these 17 floors are 187 feet high.  Up to this point we are at 348 ft high and 32 floors.

13 floors also each 11 feet high - This is a continuation of the same type condos on the 17 floors just below.  The diagram shows that these 13 floors are 143 feet high.  Up to this point we are at 491 ft high and 45 floors.

12 floors each 12 feet high - These are the floors for the penthouse units and possibly some of the higher priced condo units.  The diagram shows that these 12 floors are 144 feet high.  There is a transition midway up these floors to smaller floors.  Up to this point we are at 635 feet high (the same height depicted on the diagram) and 57 floors.  Yes, 57 floors, not 55!!!  Either Tony G. is not counting a couple of floors for some reason, or there is a problem with this diagram.  For other tall towers, I've attempted to count floors, and many times can't count as many floors as are claimed for the building.  This is the opposite case.  I'm counting MORE floors than are claimed for the building.

A beautiful (IMO) tower and spire - The bottom portion of the spire seems to have three floors (possibly housing building mechanical equipment???) that are covered in silver glass.  In many building those floors would be counted.  If we counted these, the Sinature Tower floor total would be now reach 60!!!  Wow!!!  I've tried the best I can the measure the height of the tower and spire based on this diagram, and have come up with a figure of 217 ft!!!  Unfortunately, this critical measurement is not shown on the diagram.  Adding the spire, I believe Signature Tower rises above Church Street an astonishing 852 ft high and 57, possibly 60 floors!!!

But buildings are usually meared from their lowest point to their highest point.  Church Street is not the lowest point for Signature Tower.  The lowest point is at the opposite end of the building at the back end of the parking garage.  As best as I can tell from the diagram, this would add yet another 24 feet to Signature Towers's height and bring the final tally to 876 ft high!!!  If my assumptions are true, Signatute Tower may well be taller than every other building currently standing in the Southeast except one, the Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice job Hankster. Tony is keeping quiet on any official height but I'm right there with you on the estimation based on the initial drawings. Let's hope it's built accordingly. I'll be the first to say that I don't know how the official height is gauged based on lowest to heighest point. I do know that spires count and antena don't. Again, I'm a stickler for detail and appreciate your detective skills. A buddy of mine and I were both at the presentation and immediately tried to detemine the overall height. Your post reads just like our converstation sounded. As a matter of fact, his guess was 852ft. Great minds and all that. Like I said, Tony didn't want to give a number and thanked me(with a grin on his face) for not asking during the question and answer. I believe he wants to get away with more than the "recomended" 635ft. I look forward to more of your posts.

Very nice job Hankster. Tony is keeping quiet on any official height but I'm right there with you on the estimation based on the initial drawings. Let's hope it's built accordingly. I'll be the first to say that I don't know how the official height is gauged based on lowest to heighest point. I do know that spires count and antena don't. Again, I'm a stickler for detail and appreciate your detective skills. A buddy of mine and I were both at the presentation and immediately tried to detemine the overall height. Your post reads just like our converstation sounded. As a matter of fact, his guess was 852ft. Great minds and all that. Like I said, Tony didn't want to give a number and thanked me(with a grin on his face) for not asking during the question and answer. I believe he wants to get away with more than the "recomended" 635ft. I look forward to more of your posts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't believe skyscraper page.com already had it changed to 800 feet including the spire (up from 700 feet). I don't know how accurate they are but it looks like it definately will be well over the original 700 feet. It would have to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad to see there's others who share my point of view!! I really do think Tony G knows something that he's not telling right now. I can't wait to here the details when the construction announcement comes (hopefully) forth. :rolleyes:

I couldn't believe skyscraper page.com already had it changed to 800 feet including the spire (up from 700 feet).  I don't know how accurate they are but it looks like it definately will be well over the original 700 feet.  It would have to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't checked that site in a few days. I don't know exactly where they get 800ft but like everyone else at this point, all we can do is speculate on an official height. Speaking of websites, what do you think of this bidclerk.com thing? I have my doubts about the accuarcy of the information. Almost seems like they're spicing up the info to get people to subscribe. I don't know. I could be way off base.

That's interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't checked that site in a few days. I don't know exactly where they get 800ft but like everyone else at this point, all we can do is speculate on an official height. Speaking of websites, what do you think of this bidclerk.com thing? I have my doubts about the accuarcy of the information. Almost seems like they're spicing up the info to get people to subscribe. I don't know. I could be way off base.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think bidclerk is on the up and up. However, some projects never do get built, while others get delayed, so you have to take that into account when looking at their info. Still, I think it's a great site to keep up developments. :D

I think bidclerk is on the up and up.  However, some projects never do get built, while others get delayed, so you have to take that into account when looking at their info.  Still, I think it's a great site to keep up developments.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Hankster try this if you haven't already. Since skycraperpage doesn't have a model of the new design up yet I took one of the plan drawings (front view of Signature tower) and minimized it in a window. I then minimized the window with skyscraperpage. I pulled up one of the diagrams that has a scale of at least 900ft and scaled the ST to 850ft by placing the windows side by side on my desktop. Of course you have to make sure that the ground levels are the same. This allows you to get a very good idea of how ST compares to not only Nashville's other buildings but also other skylines. Pretty funny when you put it up against the Empire State Building. So if you have too much time on your hands...

Hey Hankster try this if you haven't already. Since skycraperpage doesn't have a model of the new design up yet I took one of the plan drawings (front view of Signature tower) and minimized it in a window. I then minimized the window with skyscraperpage. I pulled up one of the diagrams that has a scale of at least 900ft and scaled the ST to 850ft by placing the windows side by side on my desktop. Of course you have to make sure that the ground levels are the same. This allows you to get a very good idea of how ST compares to not only Nashville's other buildings but also other skylines. Pretty funny when you put it up against the Empire State Building. So if you have too much time on your hands...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, I need to work on my computer skills. I don't know how to do what you just did, but it sounds like fun!

You know, I saw a list posted of the tallest all residential towers in America. The tallest currently is Trump World Tower in New York City at 861 feet. Could it be possible that when Signature is built, Nashville will be the proud owner of the tallest all resedential tower in America? If true, what a statement for Nashville that would be!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just had a thought. When you sized the signature tower at 850 feet on the Skyscraper page diagram, at about what height is the top floor of the penthouse condos? If that level is at about 635 feet, that would be further confirmation that our height estimates for Signature Tower are correct. :rolleyes:

I just had a thought.  When you sized the signature tower at 850 feet on the Skyscraper page diagram, at about what height is the top floor of the penthouse condos?  If that level is at about 635 feet, that would be further confirmation that our height estimates for Signature Tower are correct.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great minds do think alike! As a matter of fact, the height of the top floor of the penthouse level does indeed reach exactly 635 feet when I scale it. That is why all this talk about a 700ft or 800ft tower is off. We are definitely looking at 850+ if it's built to this design. I wonder though, if TG had his way with putting the garage under the residetial floors, instead of on the back of the tower, would we still be looking at a total of 55-60 floors? Also, because he met resistance with the original garage design, I wonder if he increased the number of residential floors to make up for the loss in height the garage would have added. When you factor in the loss of height due to the shorter floors (no office), this may have contributed to the addition of a crown and spire for maximum height. I know most people are more concerned with the impact of ST on the city itself. This is a civic thing anyway I guess and I'm not ignoring that aspect. I'm more facinated with the actual construction and physics of the whole thing. Not very PC I know. Can you imagine 850ft on top of the parking garage? I know, I'm just being greedy now.

Great minds do think alike! As a matter of fact, the height of the top floor of the penthouse level does indeed reach exactly 635 feet when I scale it. That is why all this talk about a 700ft or 800ft tower is off. We are definitely looking at 850+ if it's built to this design. I wonder though, if TG had his way with putting the garage under the residetial floors, instead of on the back of the tower, would we still be looking at a total of 55-60 floors? Also, because he met resistance with the original garage design, I wonder if he increased the number of residential floors to make up for the loss in height the garage would have added. When you factor in the loss of height due to the shorter floors (no office), this may have contributed to the addition of a crown and spire for maximum height. I know most people are more concerned with the impact of ST on the city itself. This is  a civic thing anyway I guess and I'm not ignoring that aspect. I'm more facinated with the actual construction and physics of the whole thing. Not very PC I know. Can you imagine 850ft on top of the parking garage? I know, I'm just being greedy now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there is any doubt about it. I think we are definitely looking at an 850+ ft tower. As far as having the parking garage at the back, and condos surrounding the garage on two sides, I like the concept. I like being able to see residences going all the way up from street level to the top. Also, I just love the design of the spire. I think it's just about the right height for the overall size of the tower, and I love the angles and glass. It really is a signature tower to me! I'll be as happy as a lark if this thing get's built as designed right now; but, hey, if he wants to put that tower on top of the garage like you are imagining and get it up to, say, 1000 ft....that's fine with me. :D

You are right...........you did say southeast in your original post. I do apologize. In that case, the Signature Tower could be the tallest since I could not substantiate the proposed New Orleans 900 footer. Goooooooooo Nashville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They aren't planning to release full info on the building until the end of '05 or early '06.

From what we have heard the developers are looking at a building site along the Mississippi River and are talking 950-975 feet for the tower.

But Congrats Nashville!

This Tower looks great!

They aren't planning to release full info on the building until the end of '05 or early '06.

From what we have heard the developers are looking at a building site along the Mississippi River and are talking 950-975 feet for the tower.

But Congrats Nashville!

This Tower looks great!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be awesome. I hope you get what you're hoping for, and I'm looking forward to that announcement. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities! :)

Archived