Flint Off Topic

Pachuco

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News out of Flint today: the Crim offices are moving into the first floor of the LBC, and will include a museum in there as well. The first floor was the only floor left vacant in the LBC (good news for other projects in Flint if the building filled up that quickly).

Just saw this on the news: the Land Bank has just about finalized its purchase on the Berridge Hotel, just a few details still to be worked out, but it sounds like it'll go through. And renovations could begin in the early half of 2007.

I already have a good relationship with Salem Housing, it's just a matter of building the same between the Chancellor's Office and Salem; I'm going to have close to 2 years as President of PSA, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to see student housing happen for the university, and working along since Salem would accomplish this but would also be a huge way to start turning Flint around if a student village could be established near downtown. It'll be tricky since Salem is a nonprofit, but myself and the other officers think it's do-able.

They've been saying that since 2003, the university is really dragging its feet on getting dorms built. But what we want to do is use pre-existing houses in like the Hurley East neighborhood, whatever homes north of CarriageTown that Salem currently owns, and fix them up because a lot of the homes are the perfect size for 3-4 college students to live in.

That's where Salem Housing comes in. Right now, what Salem does is to buy vacant properties within the city, and will renovate them if the overall structure is still stable and doesn't need to be just torn down. And they're starting a new phase where they are finally able to start building brand new homes on the lots where they have had to tear homes down. All of this is part of a program that allows low-income families to move in and get themselves on their feet (there are a bunch of programs that the new homeowners have to go through on maintaining the house, financial responsibility, and what not).

Since Salem is committed to revitalizing neighborhoods in Flint, it just seems like the perfect partnership with the university, because if we can get some of those homes for housing, it's the best opportunity to show that the university is one of the best assets in turning the city around.

I can't remember if they started building already or not, I heard at least about this new phase back in April when we volunteered with Salem.

Do you know on what street(s) they're building or planning to build? I'd like to go take a look.

And good luck on your plan. Hurley East Village could use all the help it can get. I think it could be quite a cozy neighborhood if fixed up.

I dunno know about ya'll, but lets be honest, I really believe Don Williamson and his administration have made an impact on Flint, although they've had to learn from mistakes.

I mean I've seen so many new streets paved, less garbage, more houses being torned down, programs to fight blight, promises to open the city jail,which is becoming more of a reality and hopefully, 50 more cops within the near future, plus his sudden support of downtown and the area.

Yeah, the only thing I am afraid of is this. I personally want to see him in office another for years, but with delphi closing and the potential 20 million dollar flood lawsuit, how will he handle this without raising taxes or hurting city service? Also, I've met with the man and he is more of a "Show me, I'll support kind of guy" which isn't bad, but can potentially hurt developments.

Edited by Pachuco