Flint Off Topic

Pachuco

About the banking, Citizens, I think, is going to be crucial for downtown. They're an important sponsor for the Crim, Whiting, and many other events downtown. Not many people may know this, but Citizens Bank has expanded into Wisconsin and Iowa in the past few years. So the more they continue to expand the better it's going to be for downtown. Now if we could only get more people within the area to bank with Citizens... ;)

But on a separate issue, what is the status of the dorms for U of M? I haven't heard anything in over a year, and the last e-mail we've gotten from the Chancellor's office was about the renovations to French Hall and MSB that should be starting within the next year. Are they still planning on building the dorms? My only guess now on what is happening is that they are waiting to get the soil samples back from the lot where the United Way building used to be and consider building the dorms there if the samples are good.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Citizens has been doing well. It's the second largest bank based in Michigan. Some of it has to do with megabanks snatching up some of the other Michigan-based banks, but Citizens has somehow prevent this from happening to them while still growing.

Unfortunately, the target date for the U of M dorms has been pushed back to September 2008 because of financial reasons and the fact that they're still trying to find either a private developer or management comapany (or both?). I'm very glad that this remains a high priority, though. Hopefully they'll meet this target date.

Oh, here's my source, by the way.

I'm thinking that's the date for it to open since that's when the school year starts. And "within one block of the campus" is a pretty loose term. That could mean the White Building's parking lot or even the Durant as well as the flat lot. I'd prefer something to go on the main flat lot since it would be closer to most of downtown's restaurants and shops.

I would like to see the dorms go somewhere near the White building or the Durant and something commercial or financial go in the large flat lot. You don't want to have student housing centered directly in the heart of downtown because hopefully, in the not so distant future, when larger companies become attracted to downtown and when it's time to build commercially then there will be prime areas to build on. Plus, building the dorms just north of the river would help revitalize that area along with the possible redevelopment of Windmill Place, the Durant, and the Fifth Ave corridor.

man it is nice out today :shades: ...i went to Richfeild County park today, the Fint river is so flooded. dont know if you guys have ever been there but there is a pedestrian suspension bridger that is normally way above the river, but today it was like 3 feet from the water.Anyone know what its like in downtown?

i have some pics of it, not exactly urban, but ill post them later

Edited by dtown

Hello Flint, MI! Today, former Flint, MI radio talk show host Dave Barber starts his new job in Providence. So I'm asking locals to tell me a little about him. From what little I've read, he seems to stir the pot some.

The dudes a whack job :blink: . But he was kinda interesting to listen to. I'm only 29 and havn't lived in Flint since 1991, so when I moved I was only 14, but from what I remember, well, go back to the begining of the sentence.

But seriously, listen to him for a day and you'll see that when somebody calls in, he won't let them talk. He is always interupting them and is basically just a bone head. Good Luck in Providence Dave.

P.S. - Your signature is Ronnie, mine is Gorbie. Just thought that was funny. :D

Edited by Ka3kab

man, it is sooo windy today!

A tree was UPROOTED near my house and fell on some power lines, and it caught on fire a little bit!!not a huge fire, but it was still pretty funny

and guess what, i video taped it :P

its not real great quality, but its ok

Edited by dtown

I heard there were supposed to be gusts of up to 50mph today. I didn't check the anemometer to see, though. Judging by how the trees were moving, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a few 50mph gusts.

That looks like a pretty big tree that came down. We haven't lost any over at my parents' house in Grand Blanc yet, though I wouldn't be surprised if we did.

yea, there is a high wind advisory...and yeah,that was an ok sized tree.

, i realized that something was on fire when i saw the fire truck ,lol, but the weired thing is, the fire truck left while the tree was still on fire.then about an hour later the consumers energy tree crew people came, and made me loose my power for like 45 minutes :cry::angry:

Edited by dtown

Part of Flushing was without power today, the area around Flushing Road and River Road seems to lose power at the drop of a hat, makes me wonder if there's something wrong with the power grid.

Getting home from class was a bit of a challenge today, because at some points the wind was practically blowing the traffic lights vertical and you couldn't see what color the light was.

Getting home from class was a bit of a challenge today, because at some points the wind was practically blowing the traffic lights vertical and you couldn't see what color the light was.

yeah, i saw some of that today too

p.s.- i just realized im a member+ now :shades:

Edited by dtown

There's supposed to be another storm system coming in within the next few days...I don't know how much more rain the Flint River can bear to get before it starts flooding the low areas of Flushing Road, or before it starts backing up the Holloway Damn.

Speaking of creeks, I live in a subdivision off of Elms Road, and the only way into our road is over a little bridge; a bridge that has already been caving in for close to a year now without being fixed...and I won't be surprised now if we get any more rain over the next few days and I try to go to class only to discover that the bridge is washed out. lol

My friend commented on the dam today, it looks like they're open just about all the way, yet the water is almost to the top.

umm, i was kinda wondering why the Mid-Michigan Downtown Potential says Zachariadaman posted today. but when i click on it, the last post is from september

It's an issue with polls that can be deceiving.

When someone votes in a poll as someone apparently did in this one today, the last action date is updated to the current date.

However, Zachariadaman was the last person to actually post something and his name doesn't change.

So the it doesn't necessarily say that he posted today, rather he was the last to post in September and someone else voted in the poll today.

...Am I even making any sense? :wacko: