***Biggest Debate yet on SSA***

BrandonTO416

Decide Heckles' Future  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Decide Heckles' Future

• Immigrate to the United States of America
    • Immigrate to Canada
    • Stay in the Confederated Christian Theocracy of America
    • Move to an Island outpost in the CCTA (New Orleans, Atlanta city)
    • Other (describe in your post)

Now the time has come. It is getting down to the wire. I'm going out of my mind, I've only got a few months of school left (hopefully) until I have a degree. I'm going to be moving.

What should I do? Right now I live in the Confederated Christian Theocracy of America. I badly want out - I feel like Hitler Junior is right around the corner ready to lock me up, and I keep hiding every day. Its like something is on my chest, not allowing me to breathe.

I'm so confused right now. I want freedom. I want a good job. I want my life. But I don't want to live in a fascist land. Right now I do... WHAT SHALL I DO?!?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest debate thus far has been the "Ten Commandments" one. I don't know if this one will be that popular as we have pretty much covered this before.

I say GO NORTH, YOUNG MAN!... I'd move to like Providence, Rhode Island to start. Cheaper than Boston or NYC but nearby and lots of jobs. Ask our friend Cotuit about it.

btw-It's the kind of place where Judge "WhatEverHisNameIs" signs will get you tagged as the neighborhood lunatic.

Now the time has come. It is getting down to the wire. I'm going out of my mind, I've only got a few months of school left (hopefully) until I have a degree. I'm going to be moving.

What should I do? Right now I live in the Confederated Christian Theocracy of America. I badly want out - I feel like Hitler Junior is right around the corner ready to lock me up, and I keep hiding every day. Its like something is on my chest, not allowing me to breathe.

I'm so confused right now. I want freedom. I want a good job. I want my life. But I don't want to live in a fascist land. Right now I do... WHAT SHALL I DO?!?

Fascist land? You

Well I guess a few things are frightening:

http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v17n2/ev...emographics.htm

In the broadest sense, according to Gallup polls, the number of persons in the United States who described themselves as either Evangelical or Born-Again between 1976 and 2001 fluctuated between 33 percent and 47 percent with a reasonable estimate being 35 percent of the population or just over 102 million people in 2003.

http://www.wheaton.edu/isae/Gallup-Bar-graph.html

If this is true - and approx. 35% of the USA is born again - I don't know if there is hope for this nation in the near future.

I have no doubts that the majority of this born-again population resides in the south and plains regions. Damn Abraham Lincoln. It'd been so awesome if the south were not part of the REAL America.

I voted other, and here's my idea.

move to China so you can take part in the capitalist revolution!!! it'll be like the Meiji Restoration in Japan, only with more skyscrapers!!!

you could teach English and culture and warn them of the dangers of sprawl.

-

I think there are many parts of the US you would like - Santa Fe, Boston, NYC, SF, LA. You might like Montreal and Tornoto or Van. You don't sound like a radical to me. Mainstream USA has become outrageously conservative, but it's not like that everywhere. If you live in Boston, you can fly to Europe for less than it costs to fly to TN. What will your degree be in if you don't mind saying?

Heckles, if you're serious, how exactly do you propose getting a visa to live and work in Canada? You know, it's not exactly like moving from Belgium to the Netherlands within the EU.

And as far as close-minded bigotry goes, you will also find plenty of that in places such as Chicago and Boston, as well as dear old Dixie.

Go to New Orleans. The rent's cheap and the bars are open all night. You won't even have to have a job. No one else does.

Or try Minneapolis. Far cheaper than Chicago. High-paying jobs. Very liberal, yet also--and this may not run to your taste--very religious.

Well I guess a few things are frightening:

http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v17n2/ev...emographics.htm

In the broadest sense, according to Gallup polls, the number of persons in the United States who described themselves as either Evangelical or Born-Again between 1976 and 2001 fluctuated between 33 percent and 47 percent with a reasonable estimate being 35 percent of the population or just over 102 million people in 2003.

http://www.wheaton.edu/isae/Gallup-Bar-graph.html

If this is true - and approx. 35% of the USA is born again - I don't know if there is hope for this nation in the near future.

I have no doubts that the majority of this born-again population resides in the south and plains regions. Damn Abraham Lincoln. It'd been so awesome if the south were not part of the REAL America.

Had the south won the Civil War, blacks in those states might have remained slaves for another 50 years...

Heckles, if you're serious, how exactly do you propose getting a visa to live and work in Canada?  You know, it's not exactly like moving from Belgium to the Netherlands within the EU.

And as far as close-minded bigotry goes, you will also find plenty of that in places such as Chicago and Boston, as well as dear old Dixie.

Go to New Orleans.  The rent's cheap and the bars are open all night.  You won't even have to have a job.  No one else does.

Or try Minneapolis.  Far cheaper than Chicago.  High-paying jobs.  Very liberal, yet also--and  this may not run to your taste--very religious.

There is NOTHING wrong with religion.

But when its used to spread hate, bigotry, and they preach praise-Bush in the pulpit (which happens here REGULARLY) then yea, its annoying.

And if I move up there - I have to go through immigration procedures. Which is why this thread was created. If I cannot go through that and become a landed resident - I think I'm going to end up in Chicago.

hey heckles...

do know of anyone in canada that would sponsor you. when my mom was looking to leave upstate NY 20 years ago she looked at NYC, DC, Toronto & Houston. the first two were too expensive, she had to have someone sponser her to get in to Canada so she picked Houston. I'm not not sure if Canadian immigration policies work like that anymore but check out and see if they still allow you to live there if a canadian can sposner you...

In the United States, "sponsorship" means someone signs a document saying they will be financially responsible for the immigrant in case he/she goes on welfare. But before you get to the sponsorship stage, you have to have grounds for a visa to begin with.

I have no idea how you would immigrate to Canada. I imagine it's pretty difficult. I know a few years ago they had a program that if you invested X no. of dollars in Canada they would give (sell) you an immigrant visa. I would imagine also that they have a program for allowing immigration of certain skilled workers who are in short supply in Canada. I'm not sure if Canada has any sort of quota system for various countries like the U.S. does. Aside from refugees, of which it has lots, Canada may not allow many immigrants at all.

Guest donaltopablo

I thought it was pretty easy for an American to get a Visa to live/work in Canada. I don't know about immigrants from other countries, but at least Americans I thought it was easy. Can't say I ever tried, I just remember reading about it last time I went to Canada.

You can get a work permit and move to Canada to work temporarily - but becoming an outright landed resident and then to become a full citizen is a tedious process that requires time and money.

In order to immigrate to Canada without being a refugee, you really have two options: having a married partner/family member get you in by signing the immigration forms with you.

If that isn't possible, then you must have a college degree AND have a job lined up with the employer writing a reference letter for you to immigration. Without those two things - it is virtually impossible to immigrate.

Canadian employers aren't always keen on sending a reference, either. It must be a specific job and your specific employer must be friendly toward you and your immigration idea. You can't just get a recommendation from anyone.

So yes, it is a bit tedious. Not to mention you have to pay the Canadian government a bit of money to process these claims, and they ask that you have $5k-$10k in cash before you move so you get a good start on your own feet.

The process is understandable - to cut down on those who would be a burden to their social services network and to help Canada. But for someone like me who just wants to move to Toronto after college, it is tedious. ;)

Why not just go to Toronto and do post-graduate work at some college, plus work on the side. That would appear certainly easier than trying to be a full-fledged immigrant. After awhile you would get your feet on the ground and make any permanent immigration move easier.

Archived