***Biggest Debate yet on SSA***

BrandonTO416

Decide Heckles' Future  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Decide Heckles' Future

• Immigrate to the United States of America
    • Immigrate to Canada
    • Stay in the Confederated Christian Theocracy of America
    • Move to an Island outpost in the CCTA (New Orleans, Atlanta city)
    • Other (describe in your post)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I mean it sounds pretty hard to imigrate to Canada, is the United States like that aswell?

Yes, it is difficult to immigrate to the US, at least legally, unless you have some direct relation to a family member who is a US citizen. Even then, in the case of a spouse, they will put you through all kinds of hoops and it can take a year or two.

Most immigrants come here illegally or just overstay their visas. And every ten years or so the government proposes an amnesty. About 15 yr. ago, they actually had one.

• 2 months later...

Hey Heckles, I live not far away from Toronto but used to live in the US, and when I moved over as a teen I don't remember my parents having either a family member over in Canada or a job lined up for them - and we weren't even citizens. Strange that you're making it so hard to immigrate to Canada.

Although I would normally want you to move over here ;), I think it's best for you now to stay in the US for a while - as others have said, your town in conservative Tennessee probably doesn't represent the entire US very well! Perhaps consider moving to Boston or San Francisco if you really want a place with gay rights. Second, I think that since this is the election year in the US you should stay a bit longer to fulfill your social responsibility of voting - for Kerry in your case I'm sure - and hoping that it'll change for the better. If Bush is still elected, you can choose to move out at that time.

Also what degree do you have? Remember that despite the narrowing of the US-Canadian dollar exchange rate, most professions still make more in Amerika. ;)

"Aside from refugees, of which it has lots, Canada may not allow many immigrants at all. "

20% of Canada's population is immigrants. Only a fraction of them are refugees. If you want to move to a place with strong gay rights, you can't do much better than Toronto. Gay marriage was legalized here 9 months ago. Toronto has the only television network on the continent dedicated to homosexuals. The annual pride parade attracts more people than San Francisco's. Gay people have become just as "open" in public as straight people. In fact, a prominent city councillor is openly gay.

You certainly wouldn't feel out of place as an immigrant either. 51% of the city if foreign-born, and more than 40% of the people in the suburbs are foreign-born. The suburb of Markham for example, is 53% foreign-born. In the city proper, Canadian-born people are actually in the minority. The only other major city on the continent that can say this is Miami.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived