Growth: Metropolitan Corporate Centre

Florida

Strong growth continues in NE Tallahassee, and Thomasville Road is seeing its share of changes.

DSCF0397.jpg

Here's the New Hampton Inn that recently opened off of this exit.

However, across from it is a very nice development unfolding complete with elaborae fountains!

Clemons, Rutherford, and Associates, Inc has designed this beautiful project being called the Metropolitan Corporate Center which is basically an extension of the Thomasville Road area's already nice commercial space.

DSCF0407.jpg

DSCF0396.jpg

DSCF0395.jpg

DSCF0393.jpg

From what I've already heard of this development Farmer's and Merchants bank is planning a new branch.

But here it goes... I'll post new details as they become available.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think that Southern Federal Style works well with that area. Some of the buildings already in place currently use this style so its very compatible. I enjoy the layout of the park and the uniformity.

This is one of those projects that kinda sneaks up on people, so I'm very excited about it. I'm sure all of Tallahassee will be proud of the final product.

I think projects like this and the other office project that have gone in out there in the Thomasville Road area will help maintain that area as Tallahassee's premier destination for luxury.

Despite the shift of attention away from the North East, it will for some time, remain Tallahassee's most privledged area.

Now, as downtown continues to add more and more residential we may see some movement in that direction as far as fine dining, hotels, restaurants are concerned. But downtown has a way to go to catch up to Exit 30.

Meanwhile the southeast may surprise us. No one really knows what Southwood plans to do with its remaining 2000 homesites... will they continue with the wood panel cookie cutter designs in their upcoming phases or try something new? The answer to that question may help to determine wether or not the Southeast will have a shot at stealing the luxury title away from the North East. Although I think its more the intention of Southwood to be the neighborhood of the family and not of the elite.

This project will be nice at the interchange... its nice to see crews working so hard to get it completed.

Welaunee should be a nice addition to the northeast side of town, but its south enough of the interchange to shift the attention away from Thomasville Road. Not to say we want it to... but it would be nice to spread the "wealth" of developments along the rest of the city. We sure could use 10 more Thomasville Roads.

regarding Southwood.....the homes average just short of $300K each. So it is a rich area already (one street has about 5-10 Million dollar homes). So it has already brought a lot of money to an area that had little.

Many of the homes are custom homes many others are "arvida homes". I hear the new addition has a different kind of town home being built. The company tries to stick with homes that are more indigenous as opposed to say bring something that is South Florida up here. It is no more "cookie cutter" than Killearn...you just might prefer the cutter Killearn uses (although I don't).

Southwood itself is 3,200 acres. St Joe (the company, not me) has another 40-50 THOUSAND acres in Leon County. What they do with it nobody knows.

When I think of upscale this isn't the image that comes to mind...

p_florida_series.jpg

While you are right it is expensive, it just doesn't strike me as luxurious, but comfortable and suited for a family.

However, Southwood does have its share of Million dollar homes as seen below, there just aren't enough of them for that community to be assoicated with upscale living...yet!

70489321477.jpg

70495332741.jpg

I'm a big supporter of the southwood approach to smart living. Walk to work, walk to school, family oriented community living. I prefer it much more than I prefer the ritz in the North East. But again, Southwood has a way to go to match the luxury found North East of town.

"Southwood has a way to go to match the luxury found North East of town."

Simple numbers dictates that for now. There are just a LOT more homes in the NE. Percentage wise, I would be you it is the same. But MANY are very average/typical homes, far from luxury. I have friends in the NE with homes on a 1/4 acre and less than 1,500 square feet. I have neighbors in SW with 12 foot ceilings and 50K kitchens. For now, it is an apples to oranges comparison and you seem to have a preference for brick homes...which is more of a taste argument than fact.

Most of my friends who live in the NE have homes worth less than half what mine is worth in SW and that includes the luxury.

I see what you mean when you say those dont look luxurious. However, in Orlando, there are communities such as Southwood (although developed before). They are Celebration and Baldwin Park. While the houses look nice on the outside, but not luxorious, they are very nice and detailed on the inside. My girlfriend and I like to go looking at houses to get ideas for whenever that day comes. I believe Arthur Rutenburg builds customs homes at Southwood I believe. If you get a chance, go look at one of his models. He builds very fine, custom Florida homes, although he charges for that too.

I see what you mean when you say those dont look luxurious.  However, in Orlando, there are communities such as Southwood (although developed before).  They are Celebration and Baldwin Park. While the houses look nice on the outside, but not luxorious, they are very nice and detailed on the inside.  My girlfriend and I like to go looking at houses to get ideas for whenever that day comes. I believe Arthur Rutenburg builds customs homes at Southwood I believe. If you get a chance, go look at one of his models. He builds very fine, custom Florida homes, although he charges for that too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't stand the Rutenburg houses in SW. They are horrible (one is pictured above...it was a model home and the only original model that has yet to sell...after 3 years!). They do a great South Florida home...but not a Southern style home.

I havent seen the house in Southwood yet. I would tend to agree with you though. His specialty is by no means a southern, brick style homes as found throughout Tallahassee. His specialties are the open, florida, mediterranean type homes. I still am going to see the house in Southwood. I believe he also has some homes in Golden Eagle too.

I'd offer that I think the homes in Southwood are very nice. They are charming, neat, and attractive. I wouldn't say I have a preference for a particular type of exterior material such as brick or stucco over wood panels, I simply offer the suggestion that Southwood has yet to build in enough diversity for myself to consider it luxury. Surely the prices of the homes is high, and the materials used to build them are top notch, no doubting that.

I think the strongest assets Southwood has over any neighborhood in Tallahassee, are its Art of Living, natural environment and community oriented feel. That's something I'd take over any luxury found northeast of town.

While I maintain my belief that Southwood hasn't yet reached "high-luxury" in its overall image, it surely sets a new standard of living in Tallahassee. :)

I can't stand the Rutenburg houses in SW.  They are horrible (one is pictured above...it was a model home and the only original model that has yet to sell...after 3 years!).  They do a great South Florida home...but not a Southern style home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100%. I dislike the Rutenburg houses. When we signed our SW contract earlier this year we were told Rutenburg would no longer be building in SW.

Keep in mind, there is Arthur Rutenburg Custom Homes, and Rutenburg by Lennar Homes. They are seperate entities. Rutenburg by Lennar does not build the same quality, custom type home, they are pre-planned and pre-built, you cant make any changes. A. Rutenburg Custom does build quality homes. Again, I agree that Northern Florida is not the area his style of homes are suited for. But he is the #1 contractor for custom homes in Central and South Florida, so we cant say that he doesnt build great homes. Just different styles between the two styles of regions.

• 1 month later...

About time someone caught that!

This place is rockin. Last I checked they had layed all of the infrastructure (parking lots, little roads, fountains and what not) and there is currently a building underconstruction right at Thomasville Road, from my understanding its a Farmer's & Merchants Bank.

Archived