Governor's Crossing

Florida

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was interested in learning a little bit about Wegmans, so I visited their website, and their story is very similar to that of Publix. Having said that, Publix is still better because I worked there. :D

Here's a look at Wegmans:

Wegmans.jpg

Here's a look at Publix:

publix-view.jpg

I love Florida, so of course I'm more attracted to the Publix look. However, Wegmans IS a very attractive store.

What would you all say?

It may be on the way, Publix has penetrated the Tennessee market. One may be right around the corner from you some time soon.

This is a little off the subject of Tallahassee (sorry about that) but I wanted to let you know that you wound up being very right on. My city's planning commission recently gave its approval for the construction of a new Publix here in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Yay!

I was interested in learning a little bit about Wegmans, so I visited their website, and their story is very similar to that of Publix. Having said that, Publix is still better because I worked there. :D

Here's a look at Wegmans:

Wegmans.jpg

Here's a look at Publix:

publix-view.jpg

I love Florida, so of course I'm more attracted to the Publix look. However, Wegmans IS a very attractive store.

What would you all say?

Actually, Wegmans is Publix on steroids. Another point, Publix is building downtown stores, while Wegmans is just building their monster stores in suburbia at this point, having closed the downtown stores in Rochester they had.

• 2 months later...

That's starting to look great! Thanks for the update, TJ. I'm a little sad to see those beautiful trees gone that were there, but it's going to be a great location for that shopping center I think.

I fear this does not bode well for the nearby Winn-Dixie. When my wife and I were living just up the road from there, we used to do our grocery shopping at W-D, as it was so convenient. However, with a Publix moving in, I don't know what that's going to do to the W-D and that whole shopping center.

Well if you think about it... this Publix is only replacing the Publix 3 blocks away. I expect those customers loyal to Winn Dixie to continue to shop at Winn Dixie, afterall, Winn Dixie is "Getting Better all the Time!" (I sing that song everytime I hear it on the radio now! :lol:

I'd like to think that Winn-Dixie will be able to continue operating at the Park and Magnolia location, but I really think it's going to have some difficulty competing with the new Publix. You raise a good point that Publix really isn't moving very far, but before you had an old Winn-Dixie competing with an old Publix. Now it'll be the same old Winn-Dixie competing with a brand new Publix location. I don't mean to be overly pessimistic about W-D's ability to compete with Publix, and that grocery store was good to my wife and I while we lived there.

Here's a general question I'll throw out for everyone: What do you think the future has in store for the current Magnolia Winn-Dixie shopping center and the old Publix shopping center? Both are showing their age, but are in great locations.

I believe the Winn Dixie site has a better chance of surviving the wrecking ball than the Publix does. Yes Relient, you're right, both are old, but the Winn Dixie Plaza with that Italian Square portion, seems to be rooted a little more than the Publix shopping plaza. Additionally, the K-Mart, Toys-R-Us, and all store in the middle are in very bad shape physically. I'd see them moving to a new location and tearing down those old buildings before I think anything would happen to remove the Winn Dixie.

I too think that Winn-Dixie will survive the Publix move unless W-D corporate has more problems. These two stores have always been in competition in the same area, now it's just a little more noticeable. I also think that the W-D shopping plaza will fair OK w/the Publix move. And I hope very much that when Publix leaves the parkway that the shopping center will be demolished and a nice new lifestyle center will take its place. The corner of B-stone and the Parkway is just too high profile for such an ugle out-dated crumbling center. Be careful when driving your car in that parking lot, it's full of potholes.

I heard mention in past posts about the need for a bowling alley at this intersection - Apalachee & Blair Stone. Someone once proposed that the Albertson's (now kaput) be converted into a bowling alley. Wouldn't the conversion of a large retail space into a family bowling & billiards hall be perfect for one side or the other. I could also envision a nice fitness center with pool, raquetball courts, indoor track, and large training / weight room. Is there one nearby this location?

^ There is the new YMCA out at Southwood and the original "Y" off the Parkway just east of this shopping center. The old one is still there isn't it or was it closed after the Southwood location opened?

I can't vouch for the facilities at either of these places since I've not been to either.

Oh yeah there's Gold's Gym up at Mag. and the P'way too, but that's just a gym w/no pool etc. I do think the YMCA has a pool.

As much as that Publix (and K-Mart) is crumbly and old, it's WAY cool! I went into that Publix a few weeks ago for the first time, and can anyone say time warp? Talk about being stuck in the 1970s! It was a nice store, however, despite it being old. It had the same quality and appeal that any other Publix I've been to has. Personally, I will be sad to see it go. When I go shopping, I'd much rather go to that store, rather than Club Publix (I HATE Club Publix!). No stupid frat boys and dumb coeds prancing around!

When I go shopping, I'd much rather go to that store, rather than Club Publix (I HATE Club Publix!). No stupid frat boys and dumb coeds prancing around!

I totally agree with you... I hate "Clublix" also... at least when the students are here! I prefer to shop at the Lake Ella Publix. Same size, much more relaxed atmosphere. I don't feel like I'm being rushed down every lane... and yes, I don't have to lay eye on many arrogant, half dressed, college kids.

I totally agree with you... I hate Clublix also! I prefer to shop at the Lake Ella Publix. Same size, much more relaxed atmosphere. I don't feel like I'm being rushed down every lane... and yes, I don't have to lay eye on many arrogant, half dressed, college kids.

back when i was in law school Club Pub's was the place to shop! my friend from UNH came down and he could not believe the scenery... but alas, those days are over. so yeah, now i'd agree with ya'll. the Lake Ella Publix is nice... I like the one up near Southwood too.

Archived