Governor's Crossing

Florida

• 4 months later...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Konover South rewarded at Blair Stone

Once-bare intersection with Park now a busy crossroads, drawing big and small businesses

By C.E. Scott

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Konover South purchased all four corners of the intersection of Park Avenue and Blair Stone Road. The company announced completion of construction on the building earlier this month.

• 1 year later...
Well, I decided to snoop around and I came across some really good info on future Tenants of the Governors Crossing.. This Development is at the corner of Blairstone and Park avenue... The first corner is already developed and anchored by the Publix and Panera Bread..

I am linking the Tentative Site plan straight from the Developer Konover South..

Apparently They want to develop all 4 corners.

They still want to put the Bubba bank and trust BB&T bank on one corner, and a Kangaroo Gas Station on the other Corner.

But the last corner is where it gets interesting..

A five guys burger restaurant is slated.... heres the website Five Guys Burgers

Also an UNO's Chicago Pizza! Uno's Pizza

And lastly a Fairfield Marriot Inn Suites!!!!

Heres the Site Plan!!!!

Site Plan

I heard mention in past posts about the need for a bowling alley at this intersection - Apalachee & Blair Stone. Someone once proposed that the Albertson's (now kaput) be converted into a bowling alley. Wouldn't the conversion of a large retail space into a family bowling & billiards hall be perfect for one side or the other. I could also envision a nice fitness center with pool, raquetball courts, indoor track, and large training / weight room. Is there one nearby this location?

Good scoop and info TD.

Those "Coming Soon" signs on those 3 corners have been there so long, I think they've grown mold and become a joke. Has there been any permitting or Growth Management review on these parcels? Just asking b/c if not, it may be a long time before we see any moment on this project. I hope not, but they've been promising us this for sometime......too long IMHO.

Interesting about Pizzeria Uno, many of them I know of have folded. I wonder if they've revamped their company. I hope so. I enjoy their restaurants, but most I use to haunt have disappeared.

I understand what you are saying about a full service hotel GG, but I'm curious how Montgomery,AL just opened a full service Marriott Renaissance hotel complete w/a convention center and performing arts center downtown. They planned and built the thing in about 5 years. We are still talking about ours after 10 years. Populations of our areas are the same and both are Capital Cities however the government of AL is much smaller and almost all AL cities are w/in 3 to 4 hours driving of MGM. I don't mean to keeping dragging this up, but it EMBARRASSING to me, I mean it's Montgomery, AL after-all, not some monster big city in a progressive state. :(

Tallahassee is not allowed to plan for the future... we're only allowed to have just what we need to get by. So I take from GG's post, we're not expected to become a city that can do something as minor as support a full service hotel, so we all might as well give up on our city and move somewhere else if we ever want something better.

Tallahassee is not allowed to plan for the future... we're only allowed to have just what we need to get by. So I take from GG's post, we're not expected to become a city that can do something as minor as support a full service hotel, so we all might as well give up on our city and move somewhere else if we ever want something better.

Often, GG, it seems you take yourself WAAAY too serious. I believe your previous post(#63) hit the nail on the head with regard to the mindset that controls growth in Tallahassee. My brief "rant" was not an attack on you GG, although it just happens that your previous post represents the mindset that has historically rejected the notion of building for the future of our city, one that has for decades just played it safe and taken few risks.

Similar to how Poonther has reached his limit with people settling for mediocre development in Tallahassee, I'm fed-up with playing catch up. We're building/widening roads that should have been done 15-20 years ago, we're trying to diversify an economy that should already be more diverse, we're now worried about revitalizing parts of Downtown that for more than 50 years have been blighted??? Sure its important but why are we just getting around to it?!?! That's how I view this whole Hotel argument. Perhaps we would have more of a Convention atmosphere, if we had the hotel.

That said, I do think the Governor's Crossing hotel when built, will be a quality addition to our inventory.

Im sorry your fed up, but when someone misrepresents my position, Im not taking myself wayyy to seriously.

I know Field of Dreams told us, "If you build it, they will come." Field of Dreams was not based on sound business models. In the business world, its "if you come, they will build it." It would be foolish to build something without having the numbers to support it. Maybe you would consider taking the financial risk to do so, and if it works, then you will be very well off.

I think I've been on record many times here saying how ridiculously bad local government is here in Leon/Tally. I agree with most of the things you've said in your last post (except for misrepresnting my position), so Im not sure what the problem is.

My apologies if I've misrepresented your position on this issue. My interpretation of what you wrote was that "Tallahassee is not ready for" a full service hotel and that's why we don't have one.

If the field of dreams could teach us a lesson, that lesson would be, sometimes taking risks pay off. I'm sure businesses in America don't make their big dollars by playing it safe all the time, often risks must be taken to yield decent rates of return. Business School 101: the greater the risk, the greater the return.

Tallahassee has been lulled into this perpetual "safety-mode" where we're afraid to step out and do something different, something BIG or unexpected. Other cities in Florida don't seem to have a problem sticking their necks out which is why they're sitting back enjoying the Torrey Pines and Scripps of the world while we're content with the little dripplets that fall our way from time to time.

To address Poonthers point, who did understand what I was saying and countered it with a logical thought. Montgomery, although similar in size, is still Alabama's second largest city and a big power player and economic engine in the state. I would also guess the fact that Montgomery has a convention center and PAC would more justify a full service hotel. They also have a minor league baseball team (Montgomery Biscuits - AA Tampa Bay Rays), so that may have something to do with the demand created by visiting teams. There's also numerous colleges in the area, much like here. I also noticed there was a nice, large ampitheater right on the river, so it may be a popular concert spot too. Maybe that doesnt have anything to do with it. Maybe the people there have showed enough interest in getting a FSH and thats why there is one there. Maybe (read if they put any effort into anything then they are) their government is more aggressive than ours.

Poonther, your question about the mid-range hotels flooding the market has been on my mind for quite some time. I've stayed at full service hotels at some of these "mid-range" rates, thanks in large measure to sites like Orbits and Hotwire. I do believe their presence in the market does affect our opportunity to lure a full service hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 15 2008

KONOVER SOUTH, LLC, ONE OF THE SOUTHEAST’S PREMIER RETAIL DEVELOPERS, ANNOUNCES NEW LEASE AT ITS GOVERNORS CROSSING SHOPPING III CENTER IN TALLAHASSEE, FL

governors3_site.jpg

TALLAHASSEE, FL – Deerfield Beach-based Konover South, LLC, one of the Southeast’s premier retail developers, announced a new lease at its Governors Crossing III shopping center, Tallahassee, FL. Five Guys Burgers and Fries has signed a new 2,500-square-foot lease for space located at 101 Blair Stone Road, Tallahassee. Strategically located near Governor’s Square Mall, Governors Crossing shopping center encompasses all four corners of the high-traffic intersection of Park Avenue and Blair Stone Road, according to Executive Vice President Blair F. Hyatt. Michael Fetherston represented the landlord, Governors Crossing III, in the transaction. Tenants also include America’s Home Place, BB&T, H&R Block, Panera Bread, Supercuts, The Pantry, and others.

Thanks again TD for the siteplans.

Archived