Roads: Tallahassee Capital Circle

stjoe

Just what we need, more state offices on Capital Circle to add to future concurrency problems :angry:

So basically the State is abandoning property downtown just to allow the expansion of state offices in Southwood - Damn hypocrites.

This is the one thing that ticks me off about DCA, it's quick to deny economic development for private corporations due to the lack of infrastruction (or so they say) while the state offices continue to expand at will.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the State wants to continue to expand its office complexes away from downtown, then the State should get off it's butts and stop under funding the Capital Region's roadways. All of these new development requirements are only meant to stifle economic growth in some the regions (namely NW Florida and the Big Bend) which really need it to sustain and compete with Central and South Florida. The State's monetary resources will continue to support economic growth in Miami-Dade, Orlando and Tampa because it will continue to subsidize roadways and infrastructure in these areas.

Oh well, I guess Tallahassee's past ideology of deterring economic diversity while supporting a strong foundation for State government is back to haunt us because the one thing we have tried to preserve (i.e. State government) is the very thing that's making it difficult to achieve economic success now.

What a shame.......<eyeroll & headshake>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The widening of Capital Circle is well underway and an improved corridor to the airport is in the works. I am pleased to announce that the current route to the airport has been selected, which is a major boost for the Compass Pointe development project. Now can you guess what members of the BP 2000 committee opposed this route until additional studies were complete? :whistling:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../702270361/1010

Read the article and you'll find out who is opposed and why, but you are correct TJ, Debbie was the ring leader in this opposition. I'm just surprised that Dailey joined this typical group of nay sayers to growth, progress and change.

I look forward to the day when no part of Capital Circle is two lanes.

Although I should probably discuss this in the Tallahassee {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Politics thread, to me it's no surprise that Dailey is on this bandwagon. Afterall, he ran on somewhat of an environmentally friendly platform (I'm referencing the comments about Lake Jackson). As much as I hate to say this, the Republican members of the county commission tend to be my favorite, for the simple reason that they don't put up many road blocks to Growth and Development. But we need the Democrats there to keep them in check, don't get me wrong. :)

If the State wants to continue to expand its office complexes away from downtown, then the State should get off it's butts and stop under funding the Capital Region's roadways. All of these new development requirements are only meant to stifle economic growth in some the regions (namely NW Florida and the Big Bend) which really need it to sustain and compete with Central and South Florida. The State's monetary resources will continue to support economic growth in Miami-Dade, Orlando and Tampa because it will continue to subsidize roadways and infrastructure in these areas.

Oh well, I guess Tallahassee's past ideology of deterring economic diversity while supporting a strong foundation for State government is back to haunt us because the one thing we have tried to preserve (i.e. State government) is the very thing that's making it difficult to achieve economic success now.

What a shame.......<eyeroll & headshake>

Capital Circle Progressing

I was on Capital Circle today in route from Innovation Park to Southwood and decided to stop and take a few pictures of the progress along the street. So here's a look of Tallahassee's Beltway under construction near the entrance of the Capital Circle State of Florida Office Complex.

marchupdate009.jpg

Pictured above is a look at the intersection of Capital Circle and Tram Road. They've made some significant intersection improvements here, installed Mast Arm Traffic Lights, with Illuminated Street Signage.

marchupdate010.jpg

Here's a closer look at the Mast Arm Traffic Lights with the Illuminated Street Signage Boxes.

marchupdate011.jpg

A view of the 6 lane highway from Shummard Oaks at Capital Circle. Notice the meandering walkway/bikeway.

marchupdate012.jpg

Looking North from the Entrance of the State of Florida Capital Circle office Complex.

marchupdate013.jpg

Looking South on Capital Circle from the same intersection.

• 6 months later...

Wow great to hear that construction is moving towards Woodville Hwy that fast. I wish they'd take that segment all the way to Crawfordville Hwy. It's what, about a mile between Woodville and Crawforville on CC? There's a lot of traffic on CC between those two roads and this way 319 would be multi-laned completely around the City.

It's my goal to drive a completely multi-laned CC around Tally one day. But w/the big stall coming on the part near the airport, I may need TJ to pick me up at the old folk's home and act as my chauffeur to help me fulfill that goal. :)

Capital Circle NW Upgrades Officially Complete

Great news for Tallahassee drivers, construction on Capital Circle, from I-10 to south of W. Tennessee Street, is completed. The project finished ahead of schedule. Local leaders celebrated this morning with a ribbon cutting ceremony. The 1.9 mile project included the widening of the existing three-lane road to a six land divided road. Leon Commissioner Ed Depuy says while the construction will obviously help with traffic congestion, this project will also boost economic development in the area.

"Nothing is more important to our work as your county commissioners and city commissioners and the mayor as this blueprint project," Depuy said. "Years ago we asked the voters to trust us with north of several million dollars and so far so good."

The $25.5-million dollar project also included new sidewalks, bike lanes, retention ponds, and traffic signal upgrades.

Source: WTXL.tv

Picture coming soon!

Capital Circle NW Upgrades Officially Complete

Great news for Tallahassee drivers, construction on West Tennessee Street, from I-10 to the airport, is completed. The project finished ahead of schedule. Local leaders celebrated this morning with a ribbon cutting ceremony. The 1.9 mile project included the widening of the existing three-lane road to a six land divided road. Leon Commissioner Ed Depuy says while the construction will obviously help with traffic congestion, this project will also boost economic development in the area.

"Nothing is more important to our work as your county commissioners and city commissioners and the mayor as this blueprint project," Depuy said. "Years ago we asked the voters to trust us with north of several million dollars and so far so good."

The $25.5-million dollar project also included new sidewalks, bike lanes, retention ponds, and traffic signal upgrades.

Source: WTXL.tv

Picture coming soon!

• 1 month later...

Anyone else read this today? And did anyone else laugh like I did? Can't wait to read the rest of the story later today or tomorrow.

Capital Circle widening raises questions

In a letter to Blueprint 2000 staff, a top growth official with Leon County has asked that they reconsider widening certain parts of Capital Circle. Adam A. Biblo, the director of development services, pointed out that building too much road capacity before it's really needed could lead to unwanted sprawling developments.

Archived