• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Originally published December 18, 2007

House OKs bill to sell forest land to county

By Dave Hodges

DEMOCRAT BUSINESS EDITOR

The U.S. House of Representatives approved a bill Monday authorizing the sale of 114 acres in the Apalachicola National Forest near Capital Circle Southwest to Leon County.

The sale of the land will allow for valuable improvements, such as the widening of Capital Circle Southwest, and possible economic development in the area, while the Forest Service can purchase more suitable land for conservation, Boyd said in a release following the vote.

A similar bill in the Senate was sponsored by Bill Nelson, D-Florida, and Mel Martinez, R-Florida. A vote on that measure is pending.

Leon County Commissioner Bill Proctor, whose district includes the area, said the potential land purchase could have lasting community benefit. "It opens a new vista on the south side of Capital Circle," he noted.

Proctor said the 114 acres could be a future site for the North Florida Fairgrounds, which would free the current site on South Monroe Street at Paul Russell Road for more retail and commercial development.

Source: TDO.com

I want to know why part the Capital Circle SE that is completed only has 4 lanes of traffic open instead of the full 6 (one lane in each direction is blocked). I drive down the road everyday and I just wonder about that.

The big green sign on CCSE that notifies drivers of the upcoming signal at Shumard Oak has a blooper. Apparently the sign reads "Shumard OAKS" and the "s" was covered up to correct it. It kinda looks tacky - Tallahassee, you need to get your signs right! (Let's not forget about the botched Welaunee Blvd signs).

And what is up with the un-lit street signs on Capital Circle NW. They just completed the road and put up these wonderful little back-lit street signs - only they don't light up at night! :P

jpl02 you are right about trying to get the signs right the FIRST time and covering the mistakes up. Tacky tacky tacky.

The worst new road signs in the city IMHO are the "Tall. Reg. Airport" signs all over the place. Why not use TLH like the official airport code and do either TLH Regional Airport or TLH Reg. Airport?

On the airport sign at West Tenn and CCNW, it also reads Midway(or I-10)...why not just Midway/I-10? That looks more standard and professional IMHO.

Now I've never noticed these signs you've mentioned so now I'll have to go out to see if they are in fact tacky. I do like your suggestion about using TLH Reg. Airport instead of Tall. Reg. Airport.

I like the fact that there are signs on that side of capital circle to tell you which street is coming up. I think that's something we should have all over the city.

• 2 weeks later...
You can't be serious Glenn!? Is there no one working at this newspaper who has driven around the city in a while. Surely if I'm going to be reporting on roads and construction, I'm going to get around from time to time and check things out for myself. There's no way possible anyone who has seen Capital Circle in the past month would think the area between Old St. Augustine and Tram would be complete today. Portions haven't even been started. Perhaps we can go to Gannett with concerns about the integrity of our local paper??

• 2 months later...

UPdate: 3.14.08

Released February 25, 2008

The Capital Circle SE project from Connie Drive to south of Tram Road has been under construction since early 2005 and is expected to be complete by May 2008. A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be scheduled for April/May to celebrate the completion and opening of this project.

UPdate: 3.14.08

Released February 25, 2008

The Capital Circle SE project from Connie Drive to south of Tram Road has been under construction since early 2005 and is expected to be complete by May 2008. A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be scheduled for April/May to celebrate the completion and opening of this project.

UPdate {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Capital Circle Southwest

The Capital Circle Southwest PD&E Study was initiated in August 2006. As of February 2008, we are in the 17th month of this 36-month

study. The consultant, Kimley-Horn & Associates (KHA), is continuing to make preliminary engineering refinements to each of the alignment corridors identified from input provided at the Concepts Charrette. These evaluations are expected to be completed by March of 2008. The proposed alternative alignments, along with the results of the corresponding evaluations, will be presented at an alternatives public meeting in late April/May 2008 (the date and location to be determined).

The remaining study schedule is as follows:

Archived