Dying Malls in Tennessee

crabbj

I love the Lifestyle Center concept.  Not because it conforms to this goofy "pedestrian friendly" insistance of the recent planners graduates but because it subverts the intent and makes a profit.

The other great thing is how developers are subverting the New Urbanist concept and making more money than before.  I love it when government social engineering gets turned around into larger profit margins.

Thank you planners!  That's much better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Irony abounds, doesn't it?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's still there.  Park Place is mainly a restaurant center now, and it has some good ones.  Amerigos, PF Chaings, Wangs, Jason's Deli.  You can't find a parking place at lunch time on weekdays.

Believe it or not, there's still one original tenant left from 1981 - Oshman's Sporting Goods.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is Amerigo's in the former L&N Seafood Grill part of the mall? I remember the Happi stores... Happi Names...Hands...etc. Oak Hall and James Davis are gone? There used to be a small deli right close to Oshman's. Forgot the name. That mall was one of the first ones I can remember seeing in Memphis with all those neon lights around the storefronts at night. What's all in there nowadays? I haven't been there since about 1991.

Is the Unicorn still in Kirby Woods Mall? Or was that gutted for the Carrefour renovation? There once was a Ruby Tuesday, later a Mexican restaurant where Borders is now.

Is Amerigo's in the former L&N Seafood Grill part of the mall? I remember the Happi stores... Happi Names...Hands...etc. Oak Hall and James Davis are gone? There used to be a small deli right close to Oshman's. Forgot the name.  That mall was one of the first ones I can remember seeing in Memphis with all those neon lights around the storefronts at night. What's all in there nowadays? I haven't been there since about 1991.

Is the Unicorn still in Kirby Woods Mall? Or was that gutted for the Carrefour renovation? There once was a Ruby Tuesday, later a Mexican restaurant  where Borders is now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems like there used to be an MM Cohn's Department Store at Kirby Woods. But I haven't seen a Unicorn there at all lately (I just got my car tags renewed at the County Clerk's Sateliite office there)

Seems like there used to be an MM Cohn's Department Store at Kirby Woods. But I haven't seen a Unicorn there at all lately (I just got my car tags renewed at the County Clerk's Sateliite office there)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are right about MM Cohn...

Did KWM get converted to an outdoor strip mall? I can't remember. I am trying to remember some of the bigger name stores, since it was a rather small mall. Casual Corner, JS Bank, Gus Mayer... the World of Fun arcade in the early 80s, which later became a pizza store. Unicorn of course, which used to be at Poplar and Germantown Parkway. There were some upstairs offices at Kirby Woods Mall before the renovations too. A wide selection of water fountains seemed to take up a lot of space at the south entrance.

Anyone remember Sambos across the street? Later became a Shoneys until a fire gutted the building in 1993.

I think they tore like half of it down to make it a strip-type center. I have only lived here for 3 years (originally from Nashville) so my information is about this topic is second-hand, except that I did find a phone listing for the MM Cohn store there.

Carrefour, as it is now called has a Borders, Jos A Bank and some other minor stores along with Penzeys spices, Le Creperie and Swanky's tacos (which is supposedly a great place). There is also a soccer store and a sofa place on the second level.

• 4 weeks later...

I think they tore like half of it down to make it a strip-type center. I have only lived here for 3 years (originally from Nashville) so my information is about this topic is second-hand, except that I did find a phone listing for the MM Cohn store there.

Carrefour, as it is now called has a Borders, Jos A Bank and some other minor stores along with Penzeys spices, Le Creperie and Swanky's tacos (which is supposedly a great place). There is also a soccer store and a sofa place on the second level.

I would just like to say that any of you who are in Memphis and have not tried Swanky's...go do so. My goodness...that place is absolutely wonderful! And it's open until 2AM...and it's in GERMANTOWN! Goodness, I doubt many restaurants in Memphis are open that late...much less in G'town!

I would just like to say that any of you who are in Memphis and have not tried Swanky's...go do so. My goodness...that place is absolutely wonderful! And it's open until 2AM...and it's in GERMANTOWN! Goodness, I doubt many restaurants in Memphis are open that late...much less in G'town!

Open til 2 AM in Germantown, now that's weird. Surprised the city doesn't close it down!

You can always go downtown and get eats at the Arcade, Ernestine & Hazel's or other dives any old time.

Used to be a Waffle House or Dobbs House or something like that on Union Avenue around McLean Avenue in the early 70's which was an all-nighter and featured Memphis' finest drag queen clientele during the wee hours. lol

Memphian, where is Carrefour? Is it the shopping center at Kirby Woods and Poplar? I'm going to be in Memphis at Christmas and might like to go to the Penzey's Spice store. When we were in Oak Park IL, my other half went there and had a field day. I was bored, but then I don't cook that much.

Memphian, where is Carrefour? Is it the shopping center at Kirby Woods and Poplar? I'm going to be in Memphis at Christmas and might like to go to the Penzey's Spice store. When we were in Oak Park IL, my other half went there and had a field day. I was bored, but then I don't cook that much.

Carrefour is located at Poplar Ave and Kirby (on your right if you're coming from I-240 heading into Germantown). I have not been to Penzey's but I looked them up online and it seems like a cool place.

Carrefour is located at Poplar Ave and Kirby (on your right if you're coming from I-240 heading into Germantown). I have not been to Penzey's but I looked them up online and it seems like a cool place.

Thanks. That is only about five or six blocks from my Mother's house. I know exactly where we are talking about.

Archived