Which Georgia City will get a larger skyline 1st

Metroinspect.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, he deleted one, unfortunately, it was the one in which the only real discussion took place.

Anyways, my vote would go to Macon for the next place in GA to get a skyline.I'm pretty sure there is a thread about this already in the GA forum, I'll check.

EDIT: Here it is, "other than ATL best skyline in GA" by jervais.

Macon does have its problems to work out, but they always seem to have their eyes on some sort of new development, even if it saps the city of its money.

Augusta or Columbus have some real potential for more of a good skyline, too. Savannah will if it fully realizes the potential of the wonder that is Hutchinson Island.

Teshadoh, Martinman, Lady Celeste, or maybe Spartan could elaborate on this. They're better at explaining it than I am.

Athens is getting a full skyline, for its height. More and more of the area around downtown is moving up, so it'll probably end up looking very dense, but not too high. There's currently a height cap at 100 feet, I believe, so it probably won't get too tall. But there's around 15-20 buildings that near 100 feet, between the city and the school.

As hard as it's been for Augusta to get it's next major skyscraper off the ground, it will be a long time before Augusta has anything resembling a major skyline. But I don't know of any other 2nd tier GA cities that have any plans for a major skyline addition any time soon either.

For those unfamiliar with Augusta's judicial center proposal:

It was originally proposed as a 20 story building (probably new tallest) at a site several blocks out of the heart of DT. The funding failed to pass TWICE in two different local option sales tax votes (as well as a new arena, PAC, jail pods, and a host of other improvements).

The latest SPLOST (special purpose local option sales tax) package includes a scaled back judicial center (from $80 million to ~$65 million). So they're not giving up, and we'll likely still get a new scraper, but it won't be the tallest.

I believe the city that has the best potential for the best second tier skyline is Columbus. When I moved here, I saw that this city has great potential to take off with new high-rises. The city is home to many major companies. The list of companies include AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas and Char-Broil. The most known is AFLAC. The AFLAC campus was not built downtown unfortunately. The campus inlcudes a 20 story skyscraper at 250 ft. Another building is on campus at around 7 or 8 stories. The Government Building downtown is a glassy 13 story building. There are other buildings DT such as Carmike Cinemas HQ, Synovus HQ, TSYS HQ, Marriott Hotel, Corporate Center, and Suntrust that add to the skyline. If AFLAC was DT, Columbus skyline would look really nice. There have been talks of a new DT hotel but nothing has been finalized. The Medical Center district has its own mid-rise skyline with plenty of new glassy medical buildings. With as many large corporations as the city has, it is only a matter of time until one of these corporations build a new building. Synovus just did along the riverwalk. The building is really nice and lights up well at night. The potential for high-rise condo living is right around the corner I believe.

I agree Columbus does have potential with all of the major companies based there.

Of course i am going to say Augusta since I went to school there and my parents retired (and still live) there, but I do think this city has the most potential basically because of its size. Not to say Columbus or Macon will not overtake Augusta at some point in the future, but Augusta right now is growing and, as the second largest metro area in Georgia by far, it has potential for a few more scrapers. Not to mention Augusta has 2 skylines which at some point could merge. Downtown with the tallest buildings and the Medical district with at least 5 buildings at 10 floors and above, and a score of other buildings in the 5-8 floor range.

I think you'll actually have to go into the Macon downtown to understand what I mean by long stretch... it needs some work. I made a comment to myself when I saw it, that I'd like to not repeat here, but it has some work ahead of itself. Not saying its not possible... but they would have to move rather quickly to get it done.

If I had to wager I would say the probability is in this order......

1) Columbus

-if only it had better interstate access to points south.

2) Augusta

-the medical school helps. Known for the Masters, large metro population

3) Gainesville (which could be argued is metro Atlanta)

-close proximity to Atlanta, great interstate access, already has a little skyline

4) Macon

-close proximity to Atlanta, great interstate access, has to build up an image.

-needs leadership to get commuter rail connected to metro Atlanta

5) Savannah's Hutchinson Island

-will probably outgrow Savannah city because its not under height restrictions

6) Athens

-has height restrictions but has connection to Atlanta metro, University of GA

-school adds cache' to city.

7) Albany

-quaint downtown, needs progressive leadership

8) Rome

-home to American headquarters of Perelli Tires. Horrid interstate access

-because it sits in a valley, it is usually the hottest city in N. GA.

9) Valdosta

-has a school there but you don't hear much about it. Close to Florida.

I agree Columbus does have potential with all of the major companies based there.

Of course i am going to say Augusta since I went to school there and my parents retired (and still live) there, but I do think this city has the most potential basically because of its size.

I need to see Macon again in person, I guess. I just think that Augusta's skyline is currently, by far, the best outside of the Atlanta metro in the state.

I love Savannah's density, and I think that city has the best total package (even over Atlanta) in the state, but I still don't think any 2nd tier GA cities will EVER challege Atlanta's skyline. I think Augusta's will be 2nd best skyline for many years to come.

Archived