Which Georgia City will get a larger skyline 1st

Metroinspect.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

Macon does have a lot of fill-in work to do DT before it can go tall, but all indicators show that its not going to be a major problem. There has to be about 30-40 restoration/renovation projects going on downtown now. It wont be long before the potential is even further realized. DT living is drastically improving and the DT population is growing as a result. Theres not a whole lot of press about whats going on in Macon but that doesnt mean that there arent major developments happening. MCCG, the states largest hospitlal behind Grady, currently has a 12 story building under construction DT as we speak but it has yet to be mentioned in any thread. Also a development team has promised for a bout a year now to build a large-scale mixed-use (possibly high-rise) development on Riverside Dr. (DT) where the Macon Transit Workshop is located just as soon as Macon Transit finds a new location for there operation (the terminal station). Well as most Middle Georgians have heard, recently The Terminal Station project was awarded 5.8 million in gov. money so all transportation (Macon Transit, Greyhound, Taixis, Trolleys, hopefully commuter rail) will be moving there after renovations are complete, leaving the door open for a new high-rise in DT Macon in the next couple of years.

I dont know, after looking at the newest plans for Liberty Harbor, Brunswick might be giving all second-tier Georgia cities a run for their money in the skyline department!

Id still say Augusta has the best right now (at least tallest in terms of average height of buildings and number of tall buildings.)

Phenix City, across from Columbus, just approved a new highrise condo building DT. The building looks to be around 9 or 10 stories. Both DT areas have a lot of potential. I think this building will set the precedent for future highrise development in the DT areas.

I think all of these cities has potential to get a larger skyline but i have to say i think and that Macon or augusta may get the next larger skyline because it seems that they both have a lot of proposed and approved developments for there downtown area and they have already some what of a small skyline now and once you have a skyline forming it seems to draw more development, look at atlanta.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That's a nice picture of augusta's downtown but to me it looks no better than Macon's, actually they both need a lot of improvements, but Macon and Augusta to me has the best two skyline out of any other city outside of atlanta. But i understand that the picture i provide was a aerial view but it will give you and idea of macon's down town and also here are some more and a skyline view aswell. Even though both cities' downtown could use a lot of improvments from what i have observe, from visting all of georgia's larger cities Macon and Atlanta has the best sky lines. Because Savannah or columbus really could be compared in a skyline discussion because they don't have onmaconskyline.jpgDOWNTOWNMACARIEAL.jpge.

Columbus has the tallest buildings outside of Atlanta, but they are not downtown. Aflac's HQ's is in midtown. If those two towers were downtown along with the other 8-14 story buildings that Columbus has downtown, Columbus would easily surpass all of the other GA cities. It's ashame that Aflac chose to build in midtown instead of downtown.

Archived