Which Georgia City will get a larger skyline 1st

Metroinspect.

its between Savannah and Augusta on which Georgia city will get the larger skyline. Augusta got condos and an Art & Convention center going up on the river front which is a good look. Not to mention the Judicial center which should chance the skyline by connecting the medical district with rest of downtown. this picture is Augusta coming from South Carolina. the empty space towards the left is where the Watermark Condos will be built.

http://i11.tinypic.com/453pjbp.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How Columbus going to have the larger skyline with only 2 buildings taller than 10 stories? how? With skylines its about quantity not quality. the Aflac HQ could be 100 stories but if there is not other buildings to compliment it, that not a good skyline. Im pretty sure Columbus will get more buildings midtown and downtown but right now its not in the top 3.

Columbus does have several tall buildings downtown. No GA city had a true skyline. If Aflac's HQ was in downtown Columbus then I would say Columbus has a true skyline. A few buildings like Macon has is not a skyline. Columbus probably has the most potential for a skyline because of all the major companies based here.

Downtown

Government Center - 14 stories but looks much taller. It can be seen from miles away and lights up

awesome at night.

Corporate Center - 9 or 10 stories

Columbus Ledger-Enquirer - 7 or 8 stories

Suntrust Building - 7 or 8 stories

Carmike Cinemas HQ (3rd largest movie chain in the country 6-7 stories)

Columbus Marriott - 7 stories

Synovus Corporation - 5 stories (125,000 sq ft. office building) on the riverwalk

CB&T HQ - 5 stories

TSYS Worldwide HQ - sprawling campus of 5-6 story buildings (no joke, probably more office space on than

in all of downtown Macon).

Medical District is north of downtown and has buildings ranging from 5-11 stories.

Midtown

Aflac Worldwide HQ - 20 stories (around 300 ft.)

Aflac Building - 5-7 stories

Retirement Tower - 10 stories

Some apartment building - 6 stories

They chose to build in midtown to overlook downtown Columbus. Midtown Columbus sits high up on a hill and overlooks much of downtown Columbus. The Aflac Building can be seen from miles away from around Columbus.

OK guys, according to Emporis none of us really have a great skyline but this is the list of cities and number of buildings above 10 floors.

1) Augusta- 15

2) Macon- 12

3) Savannah-11

4) Columbus-4

I didnt get the exact number of total buildings listed, (Which I think are buildings above 5 floors or so) but Savannah beat all of the cities by 20 or so buildings with over 50 buildings listed. Augusta was next was 35(?) buildings. Columbus was third with 31(?) buildings and Macon was last with 20-something buildings.

So, after the 2, 10 floor condos are finished on the riverfront in DT Augusta, I think it will actually have the only other "real" skyline in Georgia outiside of Atlanta or Savannah, (which doesnt have the height but still has a skyline). I think Columbus, with the growth it is about to see in the next decade might add a few more buildings itself.

OK guys, according to Emporis none of us really have a great skyline but this is the list of cities and number of buildings above 10 floors.

1) Augusta- 15

2) Macon- 12

3) Savannah-11

4) Columbus-4

I didnt get the exact number of total buildings listed, (Which I think are buildings above 5 floors or so) but Savannah beat all of the cities by 20 or so buildings with over 50 buildings listed. Augusta was next was 35(?) buildings. Columbus was third with 31(?) buildings and Macon was last with 20-something buildings.

So, after the 2, 10 floor condos are finished on the riverfront in DT Augusta, I think it will actually have the only other "real" skyline in Georgia outiside of Atlanta or Savannah, (which doesnt have the height but still has a skyline). I think Columbus, with the growth it is about to see in the next decade might add a few more buildings itself.

1) Augusta- 15

2) Macon- 12

3) Savannah-11

4) Columbus-4

But still Macon has a nice looking, compact skyline while Augustas is pretty spread out and many of the taller buildings cant be seen in any one good view. Columbus has a nice little downtown that doesnt have the burden of having some 1960's-70's era ugly black box, (Im talking DT, not midtown) dominating the skyline. With a couple of new talls in DT Columbus it will be quite an attractive skyline.

One city to look out for though is Brunswick Ga. I think there are a dozen or so highrises that will be going up in the Liberty Harbor project, some as tall as 20 plus floors. If that project gets completed, in lets say 10 years, after buildout, it could give the other Georgia cities a run for their money.

Yall are making me jealous. I wish Statesboro didnt have height restrictions because I have seen some developers want to build midrises here and the city ran them out of town. Our height restriction is 35 feet, but with variance negotiations and then 60 feet in downtown I think. Our biggest hope is Georgia Southern which pretty much does whatever it wants. GSU has several 4-7 story buildings, but are on the Southside. Statesboro has a tiny skyline - a tall courthouse (im guessing 8-stories in height), 3 to 4-story downtown historic strips, 6-story (under renovation) Summit Apartments, and a massive 12-story industrial building that has no public use. GSU plans to build a 2,500-4,000 bedroom residence hall at about 6-stories, and has a couple 5-story buildings on a drawing board. Yeah, pathetic I know. However, I do think that if a developer wanted to build a mid or highrise in downtown Statesboro, the city would allow it if it doesnt overpower the courthouse too much.

I would say Savannah has good potential for a skyline especially along MLK on the low-income side of the I-16 overpass. The I-16 view of Macon's skyline does not do it justice. I visited the downtown area recently for the first time and was amazed at how nice the skyline looked. I cant say Columbus looks like it has a lot of potential in my opinion - there seemed to be too many abandoned buildings. I havent seen Augusta's skyline, and I think Athens and Gainesville are too close to Atlanta to really be considered. Does anyone have pictures of Albany or Valdosta's skyline?

Augusta, Macon, Columbus, Savannah.

Savannah is the most historic and I don't see any new skyscrapers being built in downtown. Maybe Huntington Island.

Columbus has the best chance of a new skyscraper with its corporate base, but it would take alot of pushing from the city to make it happen. I think the corporations are not really interested in trying to be extremely visible with a skyscraper in Columbus. I think that they would be more interested in having their name on a skyscraper in a more cosmopolitan city like Atlanta. I think it is just business with them in Columbus and building economical low rises in office parks.

Macon. It's proximity to Atlanta may have major corporations looking for a local relocation, but will take the city officials to push for any skyscrapers or anything that comes that way will end up in a 2-5 story office park.

Augusta. My home town. I wish the best for her, but I think aside from new residential development downtown, I don't see any commercial investment as far as skyscrapers go. Maybe if the local government would get it's act together, that could be a different story, but as I see it, it will not happen with the status quo.

Just my thoughts.

I got down to Augusta today and found my way Downtown to the Riverwalk to take a few pics in the cold and rain. This is the best shot of the DT cluster I could get. The 18 floor Port Royal Condos would be just to the left of the big black building in the photo. It wouldnt fit in the pic. Neither would 3-4 other DT highrises (Marriott, Municipal Building, Maxwell house apts., etc)...But, you get the picture.

post-1681-1164161852_thumb.jpg

post-1681-1164161852_thumb.jpg

This is the imposing Marriott Hotel DT. It is an 11 floor structure with a 7 floor suites tower to one side and a 7 floor office building to the other. The Office building is home to the Morris Museum of Art.

The second pic is just another view of DT with Port Royal Condos in the foreground.

post-1681-1164162289_thumb.jpg

post-1681-1164162412_thumb.jpg

post-1681-1164162289_thumb.jpg

post-1681-1164162412_thumb.jpg

I think Savannah will get the next large skyline first. Chatham is the most populated county outside of Metro Atlanta and there are huge plans underway for the development of Hutchinson and Downtown. There is a lot of redevelopment going on in downtown and highrises everywhere. I dont know if any of them will be considered skyscrapers when finished, but the fact that highrises are on the boom in Savannah make me think that Savannah will be the first. I dont really know how I feel about seeing a skyscraper in Savannah - it just seems like it wouldnt fit, but oh well, its bound to happen when all these millions of people move to the coast.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Savannah will get the next large skyline first. Chatham is the most populated county outside of Metro Atlanta and there are huge plans underway for the development of Hutchinson and Downtown. There is a lot of redevelopment going on in downtown and highrises everywhere. I dont know if any of them will be considered skyscrapers when finished, but the fact that highrises are on the boom in Savannah make me think that Savannah will be the first. I dont really know how I feel about seeing a skyscraper in Savannah - it just seems like it wouldnt fit, but oh well, its bound to happen when all these millions of people move to the coast.

Actually the Georgia coast is relatively short...like 100 miles? Last time I was down there I stopped at one of the exits to do some birdwatching out in the middle of nowhere and they were building all kinds of new developments in the marshes. I think Sav. will get there sooner than we think.

Actually the Georgia coast is relatively short...like 100 miles? Last time I was down there I stopped at one of the exits to do some birdwatching out in the middle of nowhere and they were building all kinds of new developments in the marshes. I think Sav. will get there sooner than we think.

Archived