FantaCity (International Mall)

cityboi

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These type stores go into unbelievably big spaces, usually in distressed older retail buildings. Go to Gwinnett Co in Atlanta, and you'll see similar stores in old WalMarts, Bass Pro shops, KMarts etc. It's more like a bazaar/flea market/mini mall on the inside. Some are quite upscale and other are not. The also are usually geared for the minority buyer, Harris Teeter shoppers would not be impressed outside of some of the unique produce, seafood, and meat options available. However, these stores are capable of tremendous sales volumes.

I would definitely shop here. I question whether this can survive in the Triad though? The majority of our immigrant population is Hispanic, and, realistically, I can't see them flocking to this store from all over. If the store carries a decent selection of foods that are geared towards Hispanics then it's possible. Super G-Mart will not survive on just immigrants and people who enjoy/need ethnic foods. Unfortunately, there is still a perception among some Triad residents that a diverse, cultural store is not worthy of their business.

I would definitely shop here. I question whether this can survive in the Triad though? The majority of our immigrant population is Hispanic, and, realistically, I can't see them flocking to this store from all over. If the store carries a decent selection of foods that are geared towards Hispanics then it's possible. Super G-Mart will not survive on just immigrants and people who enjoy/need ethnic foods. Unfortunately, there is still a perception among some Triad residents that a diverse, cultural store is not worthy of their business.

Shopped at G-Mart with my wife a couple of days ago. One thing we both immediately noticed is that unlike other ethnic supermarkets, this one had more than just what the target demographic would be looking for. There were at least 4-5 rows of shelves that had stuff you could find in any given Harris Teeter/Walmart/Food Lion (e.g. cereal, breakfast foods, baking items). Shopping at this supermarket was like a dream come true for a mixed-ethnicity couple. :lol:

Great prices, and the produce looked good and fresh. One thing I hope G-Mart does is expand to include an Asian bakery. Grand Asia in Cary does that with the supermarket to one side of the main entrance, and the restaurant and bakery on the other. There are several areas in front of the checkout lines (following the Super Walmart model) that are earmarked for leasing out. A couple were already marked with future vendor names (one was Samsung, I forget the other).

Welcome to UrbanPlanet, dkst0426! :) Thank you for the great review! I will definitely have to check this out next time I'm in Greensboro.

Samsung? I'm not sure they operate retail stores, but it would make sense to have a kiosk/store in there (i.e. Korean company).

The truth of the matter is that the ethnic groups eat the same foods for the most part. They just prepare them a different way. I think the store will be fine. Without a doubt the largest immigrant group are Hispancs but Asians are the second largest followed by Africans. Keep in mind this is more of a regional international super market and not just a Greensboro supermarket. But plenty of non-ethnic people will shop there. Maybe not on a weekly basis like going to Harris Teeter but if they can get some fruits on other products cheaper at G-Mart, they will go on a regualr basis.

You're not kidding. Don't be surprised to find 'Bessie the Cow's' head staring at you in the meat counter (and I ain't joking! Not sure if Super G sells them, but I've seen them and pig's heads) Live eel and catfish that they'll kill and wrap for you, etc. Like I said, don't know if Super G does it but a lot of the ethnic markets (especially the International Farmer's Markets and Asian Stores do!!)

Archived