FantaCity (International Mall)

cityboi

• 6 months later...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at some construction photos of this on their website and this place looks horrible. It looks extremely dated and very cheap. It seems like nothing more than a glorified strip mall. The tenants are just your typical American stores (no chains but same merchandise) but there are a few international stores.

I think if they used better materials and if this were constructed to the standards of other local area malls that would have driven the cost of the project up thus making leasing alot higher. I think the goal was to have small ethnic business to open up shop here. Its not like having stores like the Gap or Lerner New York. In this case I think the offerings at Fanta City are more important than the decor.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you expect??? This was an abondoned Guilford Mills factory, the new owners are trying to make rent as cheap as possible. Yes, it looks like crap, but go to Atlanta or any other urban center, and the immigrant shopping centers there are equally as junkie. Mr. redneck from stokesdale is not going to shop there no matter what it looks like. What is there now is much better that what was there before. The real aim of this place is an attempt to consolidate some of the immigrant stores that dot Greensboro into one location.

What did you expect??? This was an abondoned Guilford Mills factory, the new owners are trying to make rent as cheap as possible. Yes, it looks like crap, but go to Atlanta or any other urban center, and the immigrant shopping centers there are equally as junkie. Mr. redneck from stokesdale is not going to shop there no matter what it looks like. What is there now is much better that what was there before. The real aim of this place is an attempt to consolidate some of the immigrant stores that dot Greensboro into one location.

I think cost is certainly a factor, but you should also consider the international aspect of the project. A lot of people wouldn't airbrush the Virgin Mary on the side of their pick-up or put a giant wing on the back of a metallic pink Honda, but there's an equally important part of the population who would. Ever watch Japanese television shows? A number of them seem cheap & tacky by American standards (Price is Right excluded), yet it's one of the most technologically sophisticated nations in the world.

Greensboro seemingly prides itself on homogeneousity (ex: measuring the city's "arrival" by whether or not we get a Cheesecake Factory to go along with the other franchises at Shoppes at Friendly, which itself is little more than a prettied up strip mall), but as much as we glamorize bigger urban centers, the LA's of the world have places that don't look much different than this project. If you want authentic Chinese food, you don't go to PF Chang's; you go to a dumpy hole-in-the-wall in China Town.

So were forumers really expecting this thing to be a Friendly Center, Four Seasons, Hanes Mall, Jefferson Village, or an Alamance Crossing. They're convenient, but they all look so 'Cary-ish'... pretty, plastic, fake, and as crowe mentioned they're all HOMOGENOUS.

There are complaints about the looks of the place. What do you think should have been used other than "higher quality materials"? I would definitely shop at FantaCity because it's different and they have what you can't find at the other places.... from clothing to home decor to food! Locationwise, it fits with the ethnic make-up surrounding the area as well. Take a look at Charlotte's Asian Corner Mall.

Just because a place doesn't look flashy and plastic doesn't mean it doesn't have a wealth to offer. I'm a native North Carolinian and before moving to a major metropolitan area, I would have likely shunned the looks of this place as well.

I think cost is certainly a factor, but you should also consider the international aspect of the project. A lot of people wouldn't airbrush the Virgin Mary on the side of their pick-up or put a giant wing on the back of a metallic pink Honda, but there's an equally important part of the population who would. Ever watch Japanese television shows? A number of them seem cheap & tacky by American standards (Price is Right excluded), yet it's one of the most technologically sophisticated nations in the world.

Greensboro seemingly prides itself on homogeneousity (ex: measuring the city's "arrival" by whether or not we get a Cheesecake Factory to go along with the other franchises at Shoppes at Friendly, which itself is little more than a prettied up strip mall), but as much as we glamorize bigger urban centers, the LA's of the world have places that don't look much different than this project. If you want authentic Chinese food, you don't go to PF Chang's; you go to a dumpy hole-in-the-wall in China Town.

• 5 months later...

opening of the 70,000 plus square foot interntaional/ethnic super market is coming closer to reality it Fanta City. The international supermarket will be larger than the Harris Teeter in the Shops at Friendly by 12,000 feet. Harris Teeter at Friendly is the largest Harris Teeter in the United States. The international supermarket will be called GandMart International Food Super Store which is a chain store located in cities across the country.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...STAFF/992259358

http://grand-mart.com/

http://www.fantacity.net

opening of the 70,000 plus square foot interntaional/ethnic super market is coming closer to reality it Fanta City. The international supermarket will be larger than the Harris Teeter in the Shops at Friendly by 12,000 feet. Harris Teeter at Friendly is the largest Harris Teeter in the United States. The international supermarket will be called GandMart International Food Super Store which is a chain store located in cities across the country.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...STAFF/992259358

http://grand-mart.com/

http://www.fantacity.net

• 5 months later...

Archived