JTB Jacksonvilles Second CBD

jjoshjl

Simple Question,

Someone in another post mentioned that the JTB area is fast becoming JAX's second CBD. So, here is some foder for everyone. How long do you think it will be before we start seeing real towers going up in that area. ie 15+ story buildings. I know that isnt sky scrapper hight, but you get the idea...

Cheers

Josh

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple Question,

Someone in another post mentioned that the JTB area is fast becoming JAX's second CBD. So, here is some foder for everyone. How long do you think it will be before we start seeing real towers going up in that area. ie 15+ story buildings. I know that isnt sky scrapper hight, but you get the idea...

Cheers

Josh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you see towers going up in the next 15yrs over there I don't think they'll be commercial.

^ I agree. I think I have also heard of height limits. The majority of the larger buildings are all pretty close in height.

It would be nice to see more height out there, but on the other hand I would rather see the taller buildings DT where they are more easily supported and add to the skyline. The JTB area is already a nasty mess and without more parallel roads and infrastructure I don't think it would survive. If it does happen I would guess it would be about 15 years.

I'm almost 100% sure that there are no true "height limits" in the general area. There are at least three ~1,000 foot radio masts roughly in between Southpoint and Tinseltown, North of JTB.

If the building heights are limited or capped (which I'm sure you all are right, and they are) it is only due to specific site zoning, rather than a larger overlay or airport regulation.

For example, most residential zoning limits buildings to 35 feet. Perhaps the office park zoning limits to "X" number of feet, probably somewhere between 55-100. But there's no outside authority other than the zoning which limits height.

The reason why the distinction is important is this: All a developer would theoretically need to build a 300, 400, 500, foot tower along JTB is change the zoning (which is done all the time). So change it to an HDR, CBD, or some other zoning status that allows skyscrapers, and get the city council to vote in favor of it.

(Of course, reality is more complicated than theory. There are also matters of obtaining concurrency for a development permit. Once roads are "failing" developers must pay fees into the city's road fund in order to get a permit. I'm guessing that JTB is a "failing" road. And I'm also guessing that the fees for concurrency on a 300 foot skyscraper are insanely higher than the fees for a 4 story office park.)

Archived