George Hincapie Day

NYTransplant

Wow NYTransplant, your photos are a lot better than mine. Thanks for posting them. It really was a great event and the turnout was even better than I expected.  My kids were very excited to see both of those guys up close and in person. We saw Armstrong race at the Tour de Georgia this spring, which they also loved, but it was hard for them to really recognize him with the glasses and helmet.

Most importantly, this kind of exposure is good for the cycling scene in Greenville. Hats off to everybody involved in staging this great event

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks JCT,

I have to agree that the cycling scene could use all the exposure it can get. I wonder if Mayor White was surprised by the turnout. This event definitely shows that there is a strong presence of cyclists in the Upstate, and most all of them are voters. ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In honor of local resident, George Hincapie, the City of Greenville has hung a very large banner bearing a photo of the biker over the Commons Garage (directly behind Hyatt Regency), visible as everyone enters downtown from I-385.  A very nice touch to that urbanscape. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw that Friday when I went downtown. I wonder how long they'll keep it up?

You think they would give it to me when they're done with it? :rofl:

Actually they should auction it off and give the proceeds to the LAF. At the BMW Homecoming, they auctioned off the "Welcome to Homecoming 2005" banner for $1150. All that money went to the Make-A-Wish foundation. :thumbsup: And that banner was only 3' High x 6' Wide.

Here is another good plug for Greenville, this time on Cycling News which is a web site based in Australia. I like this quote in the article from George:

"People are always asking why I live in Greenville and I think it's my little hidden paradise," said Hincapie. "It's the best place to ride your bike in the country."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2005/hincapie_day

Here is another good plug for Greenville, this time on Cycling News which is a web site based in Australia. I like this quote in the article from George:

"People are always asking why I live in Greenville and I think it's my little hidden paradise," said Hincapie. "It's the best place to ride your bike in the country."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2005/hincapie_day

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great article! :thumbsup: Thanks for posting JCT!

In honor of local resident, George Hincapie, the City of Greenville has hung a very large banner bearing a photo of the biker over the Commons Garage (directly behind Hyatt Regency), visible as everyone enters downtown from I-385. A very nice touch to that urbanscape. B)

It appears that this has been moved to the Richardson Street Garage. You can see the entire banner now. It looks great! :thumbsup:

Yesterday I did a Lance Armstrong Foundation benefit ride.

The word is, October 5th, Lance will be back in town to accept the check for the money we raised.

It should be a good celebration. There will be another cycling related parade, and I've also heard that Edwin McCain will be giving a free concert that night as well.

Yesterday I did a Lance Armstrong Foundation benefit ride.

The word is, October 5th, Lance will be back in town to accept the check for the money we raised.

It should be a good celebration. There will be another cycling related parade, and I've also heard that Edwin McCain will be giving a free concert that night as well.

Lance Armstrong will indeed be back in Greenville on October 5th for the Tour of Hope event. As NYT said, Edwin McCain will be here as well. Show up on Main Street near the Peace Center from 5-8 pm for the festivities. There will be a lot going including activities for kids, so bring your families for another great celebration downtown.

That is GREAT news! I wish it were Friday and not Wednesday though. It may be difficult for some.

You are right. Wednesday night will be tough for some people. The day was chosen based on when the Tour of Hope riders pass through Greenville. On Friday, the riders will be finishing the ride in Washington DC after starting in San Diego 9 days before.

For more info, check out the website.

http://www.tourofhope.org/

• 2 weeks later...

I'll definitely be there. Since I participated in the ride on the 24th, and raised enough money to earn a jersey, I'll be able to ride in the procession that presents the check to Lance.

Its funny, because from what I hear, the procession goes from the parking lot at the north/east side of the Liberty Bridge, up Falls, left onto Broad, then to the Peace Center. I'm not sure how many will be in the procession, but I would think that as short as that ride is, the people in the front of the group will be at the Peace Center before the tail of the group even leaves the parking lot. :blink:

I'll definitely be there. Since I participated in the ride on the 24th, and raised enough money to earn a jersey, I'll be able to ride in the procession that presents the check to Lance.

Its funny, because from what I hear, the procession goes from the parking lot at the north/east side of the Liberty Bridge, up Falls, left onto Broad, then to the Peace Center. I'm not sure how many will be in the procession, but I would think that as short as that ride is, the people in the front of the group will be at the Peace Center before the tail of the group even leaves the parking lot. :blink:

NYT, Congratulations on raising enough to earn a jersey! I'll look for you in the procession in a couple of hours.

NYT, Congratulations on raising enough to earn a jersey! I'll look for you in the procession in a couple of hours.

Thanks JCT,

Although this was a cycling event, I would have to say the highlight of the evening for me was Edwin McCain. He was awesome! :thumbsup:

Here are a couple shots of the group as we were lined up behind the Peace Center.

2be05e5c.jpg

02155d8d.jpg

Thanks JCT,

Although this was a cycling event, I would have to say the highlight of the evening for me was Edwin McCain. He was awesome! :thumbsup:

I agree; Edwin McCain was great. My two year old was pretty fidgety while people were speaking, but as soon as the music started, he was memorized.

I was also glad to hear Mayor White "officially" announce the bike trail again. Listen for an announcement about the bike lane network downtown next.

I agree; Edwin McCain was great. My two year old was pretty fidgety while people were speaking, but as soon as the music started, he was memorized.

I was also glad to hear Mayor White "officially" announce the bike trail again. Listen for an announcement about the bike lane network downtown next.

The bike lanes downtown are great! :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing this network grow!

• 2 months later...

Archived