Dorothea Dix Property

ericurbanite

• 2 months later...

It seems that Richard Johnson of Cityspace Homes (Rosengarten Park, Dorothea Gardens, Caraleigh Commons) is assembling properties across from Dix Park along Lake Wheeler Road under the name Dix Park East LLC. So far they've acquired 1215, 1213, 1209, and 1205 on Lake Wheeler Rd. It will be interesting to see what they have planned.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Whelp, be careful what you ask for. Officially I asked to be an 'alternate' but am on course to be an attendee at the Park's master plan workgroup meetings.

Yay I think. 

I have not yet been assigned one of the six workgroups, but feel like no matter what my status is, I'll be allowed to provide input. I requested to be either on the 'buildings' committee (This sub-team will focus on how the buildings operate within the future context of a park including historical value and influences, potential programming and revenue generation, and appropriate treatment for existing structures (adaptive re-use, renovation, demolition, etc.).) or the 'site' committee (This sub-team will focus on the physical site including environment and natural resources, land use conditions, water resources, and native landscapes and habitats.) Comments should be relate to one of these topics. I'll let ya'll know what sub I am put on and what the extent of my role ends up being as soon as I know. 

Anyway, it is important to me that I hear from folks who care about how this turns out no matter your primary concern. Urban Planet has some of the keenest  folks  on the myriad of downtown and regional issues that are in play here...so here I am asking for input. I want to funnel as many well formed thoughts to the final decision makers as possible. Certainly I have some of my own ideas, but, as with all of the workgroup members, I am approaching the start of this with an open mind. 

So having said that, in order of preference at this point in time (only if you want to of course!) 1) PM me with thoughts on Dix Park. 2) Comment right here in the open for all to consider 3) I could still be talked into group get togethers, like the old UP days. Know that I prefer to do this in a drinking establishment. 

Edit: Confirmed, Buildings committee. 

Edited by Jones_
Update
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Saw these images posted on social media from the Master Plan Advisory Committee...

Some features:

• Major attention and focus on Rocky Branch Creek.
  • "Land bridge" at NW corner of park over Western Blvd to connect to Pullen Park
  • "Land bridge" over railline at center of park.
  • Multiple large playground areas
  • Big field remains
  • Considering new/expanded farmer's market retail
  • Unsure of what existing buildings would be used for
  • NCSU Spring Hill property vague master planning shown

dixpark-alt3.JPG

dixpark-rockybranch.JPG

• Like 1

Part of that area marked "New or Expanded Farmers Market Retail (?)" along Blair Drive is the Vernon Malone complex that houses the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, Meals on Wheels, and Food Runners. The complex includes a large commercial kitchen and multiple loading docks. It was quite expensive to build, opened in 2005 or thereabouts, and I doubt you'll want to pay for it to move.  Besides, it's no accident that it's next to the Farmers Market because produce about to spoil is donated to the organizations. As I understand it, that tract was not included in the State's transfer to the City. For disclosure I have served on the board of two of those organizations. 

Edited by ctl

I believe very long term leases secure those locations. I hadn't seen any mention of the complex other than to ensure what is proposed, maintains good neighbor status, and if possible, create one large humming fabric.  It was pointed out, in way of appreciating the complexity of all of this, that at that intersection (Blair/Barbour) four different agencies control the property there in one manner or another...NC State, Ag, City and Food non-profits....os it sounds like they are safe where they are. Tangentially, several people have suggested farming/Ag demonstrations be part of "preserving" the big field (it was active farm land for a long time) and that the crops grown, be given directly to the food groups, It'd be seasonal stuff of course, and would not take up the whole field, but producing and teaching all at once, while working with the food security folks, is about as good a symbiosis as I can dream up. 

So long as the planners are aware of those leases, fine. The food non-profits do create traffic at certain times of the day, but they aren't open on Saturdays or Sundays when the new park is likely to be at its busiest (and also when Farmers Market traffic can be heavy six months of the year). The idea about a return to farming and the use of the produce sounds great. Security will have to be considered, though, because otherwise some folks will help themselves to the produce. 

Interesting stuff about the "restoration" of Rocky Branch ( I assume those diagrams above show a return to its original stream bed, now buried under the old landfill?). 

It is absolutely critical to me that the plan provide for pedestrian/stroller/bicycle access across Western Blvd., which functions in that area as a giant traffic moat cutting off the Dix area from areas of the city that are revitalizing (Rosengarten area, the bottom areas below Boylan Heights, etc.)

• Like 1

CTL, they are acutely aware of every little tidbit you can imagine. I was surprised. They have the whole landfill delineated. They know the entire graveyard area and some suspected other graves are being investigated. They are fully engaged with NC State and Ag. The have a construction historian investigating exactly how the additions were added on to the currently main building. I have been extremely impressed with the thoroughness and professionalism. 

JeffC, It sure looks like that they want returning it to the old alignment...glad to see it. That'll make walking down to the creek and rock hopping a little easier for folks, as right now it's a cliff of trash there. Of course some of Rocky Branch was permanently realigned when Western was laid down (near the main entrance), but at least that seems to have been professionally done. 

That connection to Pullen is looking like it'll become a focal point...the sort of "have to see" thing Raleigh sort of lacks much of. Green bridges ( or red ones like near Hoover Dam) are sort of my jam. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ That is the view I wanted and had seen before but could not find it during my quick visit.   This park is a great opportunity for Raleigh.  

The City already renovated that little house just west of the cemetery (which is just southwest of the soccer fields). The observation deck enhances the already popular view from up near Spring Hill and the Cyclocross track. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...