Homeless Plan in Columbia

krazeeboi

I agree. The city is trying to make downtown an attractive place to live and play. It won't be with hundreds of homeless people walking around asking for change. I'm all for helping the homeless, but this is not a good location for that. Was the money for renovations provided by the city?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone heard anything further on the site selection for the full service homelessness center? The Midlands Commission on Homelessness was supposed to announce a proposed site by July 31st... but nothing.

Also, it appears they are about to launch a new website.

I have a feeling they're going to end up out there on Shop Rd. at/near the site that was proposed back in 2004.

No, but the Free Times reports that Lexington County doesn't want to contribute the full $100K like Columbia and Richland have committed to doing since they're homeless population isn't as large. Understandable, but if I'm not mistaken, unless all three entities agree to commit to that amount, they'll have to go back to the drawing board in order to secure a funding source.

No, but the Free Times reports that Lexington County doesn't want to contribute the full $100K like Columbia and Richland have committed to doing since they're homeless population isn't as large. Understandable, but if I'm not mistaken, unless all three entities agree to commit to that amount, they'll have to go back to the drawing board in order to secure a funding source.

Just like always, Lexington County draws all the benefits of its proximity to Columbia, but they don't want to share in expenses. I've been avoiding Lexington County businesses to a large extent for the last several years because of it.

I agree with you Matt. Columbia gives Lexington County and it's residents so many benefits, yet they don't want to contribute. And it seems that Lexington County residents are always bad mouthing our city. Like Manhattans, I'm not going to "bridge or tunnel" unless I have to. The only thing I need in Lexington County is the airport.

Well I'm sure...and it's NOT a good thing. I thought there were still discussions in the works to get that eyesore out of downtown. (And whether I'm being heartless or not is a discussion for another thread) I can't stand seeing a group of homeless people standing outside our beautiful downtown library waiting for it to open so they can go in. Or sleeping on all of the nice benches that were part of the recent Main Street "streetscaping" keeping regular pedestrians for using the benches. Or keeping people away from the nice parks we have downtown because these people are peeing out in the open. I realize they need to go somewhere, and some of them truly need help...but having them right downtown is hurting the city. That's the bottom line. And with them spending this money on renovation, it appears they have no plan to leave downtown anytime soon. This is kind of a sore spot with me...downtown Columbia is becoming an awesome place, but there are things like this holding us back.

This is definetly not a good or bad thing. I wouldn't prefer homeless people downtown but what other place would be a centralized area to find a job or transportation. If the homeless were in NE,Harbinson,West Metro etc somehow I would believe it would be a problem no matter where they end up. I think the homeless thing has just begun to be a real problem in Columbia the last couple of yrs.Maybe they could stay somewhere close to downtown but not in it's core. I can remeber going to Atlanta in the early 90's and they had homeless people everywhere in parks, sleeping on the benches downtown and I had never seen anything like it. D.C. has this same problem!!!! If not downtown what area in close proximity would be fit to hold something like this???

Everyone could take in a homeless person the way I have done. He cooks, cleans and does yard work. He tamed my back yard jungle and I gave him a bike I hadn't ridden in 5 years for it. Sit on a bench downtown and get to know a homeless person over a period of time.

Everyone could take in a homeless person the way I have done. He cooks, cleans and does yard work. He tamed my back yard jungle and I gave him a bike I hadn't ridden in 5 years for it. Sit on a bench downtown and get to know a homeless person over a period of time.

Go back in this thread and read what happened to GamecockEngineer when he tried this. Not saying it will happen to everyone, but the possibility is there.

Go back in this thread and read what happened to GamecockEngineer when he tried this. Not saying it will happen to everyone, but the possibility is there.

I recommend getting to know anyone over a long period of time whether they are homeless or not.

Hey Folks,

How come no one has suggested the LAW do more to address this problem? How did Rudy Guiliani do it? What a concept: he actually ENFORCED the city ordinances already in place in every city and town that outlawed panhandling, sleeping in public, loitering, harassment, public drunkenness, and other crimes and misdemeanors with his backup team of

Hey Folks,

How come no one has suggested the LAW do more to address this problem? How did Rudy Guiliani do it? What a concept: he actually ENFORCED the city ordinances already in place in every city and town that outlawed panhandling, sleeping in public, loitering, harassment, public drunkenness, and other crimes and misdemeanors with his backup team of

Actually I can't ride or walk down Main Street without seeing several Downtown Clean Team employees (AKA snitches) and at least one policeman on foot or sitting in his car. Homeless people do not bother me in the least. People need to grow up and get over it. While we do need a one-stop place for those less fortunate to go for temporary housing and assistance, none of us is any better than any of them and if we focus on the positive things on Main Street and build on them, then the people there who look as though they are obviously down on their luck will be in the minority and blend in more. I've said it before and will say it again. Main Street has become but one of downtown's destination streets, and it will not necessarily ever again be or need to be the most patronized, although its present comeback is obvious, homeless people or not.

I don't have a problem with the homeless. I've stayed in much larger cities and I'm use to seeing the homeless. In larger cities they do tend to blend in and they are much less noticeable unless your a vistor from out of state.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

And of course, opposition rears its ugly head once again. At some point regarding this issue, city leaders will have to realize that they aren't going to satisfy everyone. Although I really do understand the concerns as far as the proposed location goes, I think it's time for the city to bite the bullet and go ahead and set up shop. But things have the tendency to get kinda nasty when racial issues come to the forefront.

Opposition was going to occur no matter what location was choosen. I too sympathize with the surrounding community, but it has to go somewhere, and the case is pretty strong for this location. Plus there was already a shelter on this site, it is not virgin territory in that regard.

This seems to be the best opportunity ever, for Columbia to truly get a handle on the cumbersome homeless problem. The mayor and council need to LEAD in this matter, and go forward with this. To help mitigate the potential damage to the surrounding area, the city should open/move a police substation to this location as well, (or very close proximity) and perhaps make some positive investments in the area (streetscaping, park, rehabbing some houses, etc.) to help offset any negative affects.

That's CRAZY. Who would want a homeless shelter in their backyard. You know those little parents at USC wouldl be outraged if it was right next door to them and in that neighborhood...They need to choose somewhere were there aren't alot of people already walking around and so what. I totally agree with the community in that area.

I also agree with stepping up police presence in the area. I think ideally the location should be adjacent to, but not actually in, downtown. Another big concern would probably be property values.

I really think if people had their way, they'd rather round up the homeless and put them in internment camps. Hell, they're people too, and the ones that really want to be helped need the facilities to assist them in making the transition back into the mainstream. Somebody's not going to be happy one way or the other, but I have a feeling that if this location gets approved, Coble's support may not be as strong among Black constituents the next time around as it was last time.

And last but not least, THANK GOD there is no comment section accompanying this article on TheState.com!

I may regret asking this question, but why are there so many homeless in Columbia? I haven't noticed half as many in Charlotte. It may be due to the face I havent been in Charlotte long, but just driving through main corridors in Columbia, you notice an abundance.

I don't know any statistics, but the only city I've been to that has, on the surface anyways, more of a homeless presence than Columbia, is Knoxville. And Knoxville seemed much worse to me. I've also heard that from a few people I know who live in Knoxville.

Don't homeless people usually live in downtown areas all across America. I dont think I would ever see a bunch of them on Broad River or Harbison or whever else in Columbia. They gotta go somwhere and I think downtown will always have homeless people.

the problem seems like it's gotten a lot worse since i've lived in Columbia (8 years.) it really seemed to take off around 2004, maybe having something to do with all of the construction going on?

Knoxville is worse. i'm from there originally; Knoxville is well-known in the homeless community as a good place to go. several talked about this in a newspaper article. the city put pressure on the missions and shelters to relocate to the edge of downtown (not the worst edge, but the 2nd worst one for blight and crime problems.) downtown seems to have gotten more business and construction since this was done.

the problem with the Oliver Gospel Mission? it's too central. IMO, relocate them to north main (i liked the shop road idea the best.) the new proposed site seems o.k., although not as good as north main would be. hmm, if Forest Acres doesn't want to cooperate on some things, why not move it towards that border? ;) once it's relocated rennovate the building for lofts or something (it's a gorgeous old building.)

the homeless are a fact of life. at least Columbia isn't as bad as Atlanta (which gave many one way bus tickets before the Olympics to Nashville, Birmingham and other destinations.) i saw more on my last trip to Charlotte in June than i'd ever seen in Charlotte before.

i don't want to sound insensitive or rude; they need help, a lot of them have mental problems (which might be a good thing, i knew one who was obsessed with picking up bottles which helped keep the neighborhood clean, when he wasn't chain smoking and talking to himself,) and some are capable of breaking the cycle.

however, having and expanding a shelter in the middle of downtown isn't a good idea for downtown redevelopment; Knoxville knew this. i agree that it's depressing and not a good image to see several camped outside of the library (i saw 2 or 3 sleeping on the sidewalk the other week in the middle of the day, it reminded me of New Orleans in a bad way.)

the good thing about the homeless in Columbia? they're the least aggressive of any place i've ever lived in asking for change.

Archived