Homeless Plan in Columbia

krazeeboi

I think that the new propsal is probably the best that they can do. Its not the best location, but its not bad either. That part of downtown is pretty dead anyway. The article also emphasizes that its not a 'shelter' so much as it is a re-education center. This facility will be designed to help the homeless transform into productive citizens. Not all of them are mental patients.

I do agree that the proximity to Bendict and Allen is a bit disconcerting, and that if it were near USC this thing would have died in its tracks.

Krazee, I think that the citizens need to realize that they wont be satisfied with any locaiton. A homeless center of anykind is a NIMBY operation. Urban locations are the best locations for these, and I think that the group trying to put this together has probably done the best they can to make everyone happy, realizing that they cannot please everybody.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears as though some sort of compromise has been reached. The proposed location will still house the center, but it will not include a residential component. Under a national program called Housing First, transitional housing will be provided in apartment complexes and other housing locations around the city. The original plan called for 100 beds at the center as well as another 150 beds on cold nights.

It appears as though some sort of compromise has been reached. The proposed location will still house the center, but it will not include a residential component. Under a national program called Housing First, transitional housing will be provided in apartment complexes and other housing locations around the city. The original plan called for 100 beds at the center as well as another 150 beds on cold nights.

Cool, so they can learn things there, spend the day there, but they still need to go to the park to sleep. Excellent news.

When we were working on Riverplace in downtown Greenville someone homeless would come by everyday and ask for either cigarettes or money. Dont know if anyone knew but I think some other cities around Greenville were actually giving homeless people bus tickets to greenville and telling them they could start a new life here. I wonder what city that was?

I don't think it makes much sense to have a Homeless Center without housing them. Bring them to the area to get help and then leave them out on the street? I don't understand the community leader's thought process in this compromise. They would rather have the homeless sleeping on their doorstep than in a shelter. :wacko:

When we were working on Riverplace in downtown Greenville someone homeless would come by everyday and ask for either cigarettes or money. Dont know if anyone knew but I think some other cities around Greenville were actually giving homeless people bus tickets to greenville and telling them they could start a new life here. I wonder what city that was?

That bit of news is more rumor than fact. I personally think that Columbia is not a culprit, given the fact that there are so many here. Greenville needs to realize that if it weren't successful it woudln't have the problems of a city. I don't understand how they can expect to not have any homeless people. Anyway, thats way off topic. Lets stick to Columbia's issue.

I don't think Cromartie's opposition to a Homeless Center location near Allen and Benedict has anything to do with his private business dealings, not that I really care for the way he does business; but I don't think anyone wants the Homeless Shelter in their neighborhood. It is a problem that really has no easy answer. I'm sure that there is some city in the country that has come up with an equitable solution for all parties and I think we need to find where that city is and learn from their successes.

• 3 weeks later...

The State reports today that there is a lot of backlash from business owners after the city proposed to temporarily house the homeless for the winter in the old fire station HQ's in the Vista. The former site of the 3 Rivers Music Festival HQ's on Taylor Street will be used as well.

The State reports today that there is a lot of backlash from business owners after the city proposed to temporarily house the homeless for the winter in the old fire station HQ's in the Vista. The former site of the 3 Rivers Music Festival HQ's on Taylor Street will be used as well.

Vista business owners are LIVID!

Yeah, I'd rather have then near businesses, too. That's near where the homless congregate anyway.

There used to be a bunch of homeless people under the Gervais Street bridge for years. I always wondered if there were any problems when they built the park and ampitheater at the western end of the bridge.

No one is going to be happy with having a homeless shelter nearby, but it is only a temporary solution (I'm extremely tired of those). The city needs support, not constant backlash.

This plan will not affect the Hilton like mentioned in the article as the hotel won't be complete until the summer. Hopefully by then, the city will have implemented a permanent plan for taking care of the homeless.

So I guess this means the condo/retail project at the old fire station won't start in the spring ;)

the fire station plan is stupid. too many people are already fickle about coming into the city for recreation...putting a magnet for the homeless only worsens those perceptions, and costs businesses money. i feel sorry for the businesses. hopefully there won't be any muggings of drunks coming back from the vista (like me.)

the fire station plan is stupid. too many people are already fickle about coming into the city for recreation...putting a magnet for the homeless only worsens those perceptions, and costs businesses money. i feel sorry for the businesses. hopefully there won't be any muggings of drunks coming back from the vista (like me.)

When is the last time you heard of a mugging in Columbia perpetrated by a homeless person? They're homeless, not criminals.

When is the last time you heard of a mugging in Columbia perpetrated by a homeless person? They're homeless, not criminals.

Thank you, Waccamatt. And what would a homeless person look like if he or she could leave his or her back pack in a locker at a homeless services center and have somewhere to shower, shave and wash his or her clothes, not forever but until he or she gets on his or her feet?

Archived