Homeless Plan in Columbia

krazeeboi

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother's company delivered a couple of shower trailers to the old fire station the other day. We have these kinds of shelters here in Charleston also. It gives the homeless a place to clean up and get out of the cold when necessary.

This is very important when dealing with homelessness IMO.

Do not offer them money or respond to their begging.

Do not feed them.

Do not offer them work.

While offering money, food, or work may seem kind-hearted, the word quickly gets around the vagrant population, and you will have more and more beggars to deal with. By the way, it is against the law to beg aggressively; if you feel intimidated by a vagrant, please call the police.

One thing that could really help is having a work program setup that they can use. Like a temp service, maybe located at the shelters.

My brother's company delivered a couple of shower trailers to the old fire station the other day. We have these kinds of shelters here in Charleston also. It gives the homeless a place to clean up and get out of the cold when necessary.

This is very important when dealing with homelessness IMO.

One thing that could really help is having a work program setup that they can use. Like a temp service, maybe located at the shelters.

Yes a work program would be great - that was all part of the homeless committees plan. But instead of the city supporting it and the location (like they all said they would) a spineless city council has created chaos. Now they will spend almost a half of million dollars for 3 months with no long term benefit.

I have to stop typing because I am getting pissed.

I know with some of my recent trips to Columbia i saw lots more homeless walking around than i do in Greenville, SC. I know Columbia is a much bigger city so i would expect them to have more than the upstate has. I believe charleston has even more though.

• 3 weeks later...

WIS News is reporting that Columbia's new homelessness plan is drawing "national praise." The official in charge of the nation's homelessness problem visited Columbia yesterday and took a tour of the city. He said the "housing first" initiative and the day service center idea are the right way to help solve the problem. He said Columbia will see its 10-year plan to virtually wipe out homelessness succeed with this approach.

I am optimistic, but I will have to say that the national homelessness "expert" who visited was appointed by W. Bush, the same guy who appointed the FEMA man who was in charge of Hurricane Katrina emergency relief efforts, and the same guy who said Donald Rumsfeld was doing a great job in Iraq. And did I mention Iraq?

I am optimistic, but I will have to say that the national homelessness "expert" who visited was appointed by W. Bush, the same guy who appointed the FEMA man who was in charge of Hurricane Katrina emergency relief efforts, and the same guy who said Donald Rumsfeld was doing a great job in Iraq. And did I mention Iraq?

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

From the latest edition of the Free Times:

City Defends Aggressive Background Checks on Homeless

We're doing our best: That was the gist of Mayor Bob Coble's response to a Dec. 19 press conference by a national homeless advocacy organization decrying Columbia's aggressive background checks and arrests at city-run shelters. At the press conference by the National Coalition for the Homeless, Columbia was singled out as the only city in the country that requires homeless people to provide names and Social Security numbers for the purpose of conducting background checks. "I don't know [if that's true or not]," Coble said at a later press conference at City Hall on Dec. 19. "I know we're trying to balance security concerns and providing services for the homeless as best as we can." The press conferences by the coalition and the city came after the Trinity Housing Corporation, a local nonprofit, pulled the city's right to use its database to conduct criminal background checks, calling the city's practice illegal and unethical. Coble said he regretted that all concerned parties "were not on the same sheet of music," but said Columbia has no intention of ceasing its policy of posting police officers and security guards at shelters, requiring Social Security numbers and conducting criminal background checks.

This was posted on Mayor Coble's blog; it comes from the mayor himself:

I wanted to give you an update on the City's efforts to run the Winter Homeless Shelters. Our two shelters have been open for over a month now, and we are averaging about 150 persons per night. The surrounding neighbors report that the enhanced security has paid off, and there have been few problems. (Those neighbors that I have talked with include the Convention Center, the Vista Guild, Cindy Ellis, and Elizabeth Marks. Each one of those folks were EXTREMELY concerned at first). If the City is going to run the Winter Shelter then we are obligated to provide a safe and secure environment to the homeless who sleep in the shelter, to the volunteers and staff who work there, and to the surrounding neighbors who live there. To do less would be unconscionable. Additionally, it was the lack of security at the Hampton Street site (the Lou and Beth Holtz Shelter) for the past three years that led to the public outcry that derailed our efforts in September. Establishing that we can run a safe and secure shelter is critical if we are going to locate permanent facilities to serve the homeless. Philip Mangano, President Bush's Homelessness Czar recently visited Columbia and strongly endorsed what we were doing.

Our efforts to run safe and secure shelters includes private security inside the shelters and a significant police presence outside the shelters and the surrounding neighborhood. Additionally, we meet with the surrounding neighbors constantly and have a weekly regular meeting to address issues that arise. A part of our efforts include checking individuals who stay at the shelter for outstanding warrants. As of last week there had been 38 individuals who had bench warrants that ranged from quality of life violations (panhandling, public intoxication, public urination. violating our park ordinances etc) to three violent crimes. The City used the same process when we housed Katrina victims last year. The City is establishing a Homeless Court modeled after an American Bar Association program. The Homeless Court will work like our Drug Court. A City judge will actually hold Court at the shelter every week for the quality of life offenses (not the violent crimes) such as public intoxication, public urination, panhandling etc. The judge can require the homeless charged with these violations to seek the mental health care or alcohol or drug treatment they may need. Successful completion of the program will prevent the person from being sentenced to jail (and failure to complete would result in the individual serving the original sentence).

All of these safety and security efforts, in my opinion, are common sense efforts to protect the very vulnerable homeless population as well as staff, volunteers and neighbors. The City is obligated to provide a safe and secure environment. Addressing the homeless issue has been a challenge over the years. However, I think finally the City has taken responsibility for the homeless issue. We will be announcing our efforts to continue to seek permanent solutions after the first of the year. Running a safe and secure facility must be part of that permanent solution if we are going to locate permanent facilities to serve the homeless. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season.

• 3 weeks later...

WIS News is reporting that Columbia's new homelessness plan is drawing "national praise." The official in charge of the nation's homelessness problem visited Columbia yesterday and took a tour of the city. He said the "housing first" initiative and the day service center idea are the right way to help solve the problem. He said Columbia will see its 10-year plan to virtually wipe out homelessness succeed with this approach.

I say the truth is easy to get from main stream media. Just listen to the words, and take the opposite!!

Seriously, homelessnes will never be solved, but it can be improved. This is America. People have the right to be bums and walk around in public spaces as long as they are not breaking any laws. We CANNOT force people to work. Although I have little sympathy for someone who does not try, it is their right. And I cannot beleive that we even have a NATIONAL homelessness expert. How much money is wasted on this? This is a state and local issue. Can't the fed go keep it's nose out of anything!!!!!!

Busing, this actually happens? How horrible! I tell you, I am really learning what dirty, filthy, psycopathic neanderthols that humans are. I never cease to be amazed at people's apathy. It's only a matter of time before we start chipping homeless people to track them.

• 2 weeks later...

I say the truth is easy to get from main stream media. Just listen to the words, and take the opposite!!

Seriously, homelessnes will never be solved, but it can be improved. This is America. People have the right to be bums and walk around in public spaces as long as they are not breaking any laws. We CANNOT force people to work. Although I have little sympathy for someone who does not try, it is their right. And I cannot beleive that we even have a NATIONAL homelessness expert. How much money is wasted on this? This is a state and local issue. Can't the fed go keep it's nose out of anything!!!!!!

I agree. I don't give money to homeless people unless they are doing something to earn it.

I thought that the comments after the State of the City notice in the State were interesting. Many of them deal with the people's frustration over homelesness. Skim through the first 3 or 4 pages and read the comments.

They were indeed interesting. I think one of the more balanced ones was found at the very top of page 4 (minus the "bashing" portions).

At any rate, it seems as though most of the complaints mentioned can essentially be traced back to the failure of the city's leadership to get things done. Coble isn't the worst, but I think he's entirely too passive as a mayor, and I don't think the council-manager system is to blame for that.

• 2 months later...

It appears as though the city is scrapping the "one-stop shop" plan for the homeless and instead wants to concentrate its efforts on developing a Housing First initiative. Coble says that the city wasn't getting results with the homeless services center plan, so that's why a different direction is needed.

Personally, I don't see why the city can't do both. I also don't understand what Coble means when he says that the city wasn't getting results with the homeless services center plan; when was that effort undertaken? Understandably, area leaders are upset at this plan, as it pretty much throws everything they've worked on out the window. The city is again alienating other parties that should have a say in this, that were recruited to have a say in this, and I don't think it's right.

The only thing I can figure is that they finally got tired of trying to find a place for the one stop shop, because no community wanted it near them. Note that one of the proposed locations is now condos (Gates at Williams Brice).

I'm not sure how effective the Housing Fist initiative will be, but I wish them luck with it.

The only thing I can figure is that they finally got tired of trying to find a place for the one stop shop, because no community wanted it near them. Note that one of the proposed locations is now condos (Gates at Williams Brice).

I'm not sure how effective the Housing Fist initiative will be, but I wish them luck with it.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Coble doesn't have the nerve to oppose anyone. He won't spend his political capital on anything.

He wants to make everyone happy, and in the process nothing happens, and the people who worked in good faith to try to solve the problem get discouraged and end up unhappy themselves.

The Leadership void is very real. Coble needs to retire and let Kirk Finlay III take over.

The Housing First is probably a tired retread to fill the void for the city's inept handling of the issue.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Coble doesn't have the nerve to oppose anyone. He won't spend his political capital on anything.

He wants to make everyone happy, and in the process nothing happens, and the people who worked in good faith to try to solve the problem get discouraged and end up unhappy themselves.

The Leadership void is very real. Coble needs to retire and let Kirk Finlay III take over.

The Housing First is probably a tired retread to fill the void for the city's inept handling of the issue.

It really is toxic leadership.

I wouldn't mind seeing Anne Sinclair take the helm, but she's not running for council next election, so I doubt that she's interested in being mayor. It seems that she's long been the voice of reason on city council, oftentimes challenging these seemingly crazy decisions the council makes. She also worked to have things implemented in the city that weren't in her district (which includes Five Points).

The city will not recognize its full potential as long as Coble remains mayor, strong-mayor system or not. However, I think that what deters some really viable candidates from running is the fact that the mayor's position is only a part-time one, which means that only people who own their own businesses, have really flexible job schedules, or aren't working (retired) can reasonably make a go at it.

Krazee, that's the problem with running for city council, too. I like Coble, but it's true, he doesn't like to make waves. He tries to be a consensus builder. I have the opposite personality - If I know something will work I will steamroll it through, damn those who disagree, lol. Yes, I know I would never be able to win an elected office, lol, but if I did I would get things done.

It all depends on how you run your campaign. You don't present that side of "Get in, get out, or get run over"; you also show that you can be a consensus builder, but take action when necessary. It also wouldn't be enough to show how Coble hasn't governed to his full potential; you've also got to show that you have a plan as well. I think that's where Kevin Fisher messed up. At least Coble does have a plan.

• 4 months later...

#1 - the homeless shelter will be temporary like the old fire station at Park and Senate that never caused a problem was. #2 - there's a whole water treatment plant between Canalside and the proposed temporary shelter with no reason for the homeless to walk toward Canalside. #3 - no walking to and from the shelter will be allowed, just as it was not allowed at the fire station; a bus will pick the homeless up at another site and drop them off there when it opens each evening. #4 - at least the city is showing they are not NIMBY's, just as they did with the fire station. #5 - Housing First a program in which the homeless are provided housing and services in actual houses, is the solution, and the city is working on that. Stay tuned.

Disclaimer: I don't work for the city; I'm just a Columbia resident who follows the issues.

• 9 months later...

On Thursday, 6/26 there will be a major announcement of a long term strategy addressing homelessness in Columbia. A coalition of the United Way, the business community, the City Center Partnership and homeless service providers will be announcing this development.

8:00 AM

Salvation Army Chapel

2025 Main Street

Corner of Main and Elmwood

On Thursday, 6/26 there will be a major announcement of a long term strategy addressing homelessness in Columbia. A coalition of the United Way, the business community, the City Center Partnership and homeless service providers will be announcing this development.

8:00 AM

Salvation Army Chapel

2025 Main Street

Corner of Main and Elmwood

That sounds like good news. BTW, are you related to sonohague?

Archived