Unbuilt CT Highways

MadVlad

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan that would have connected Hartford to Providence would have gotten a go ahead from me at least. I on the other hand think that having a highway travel through northeastern CT to the MassPike is much easier then having to travel I-91 to the MassPike to get to Boston which is why they should have built a highway where the current 84 is and had I-384 continue to Providence because Route 6 is not fun to go from Hartford to Providence on and neither is 95.

The Willimantic region has never had any help from the state. From the Route 6 mess to the drug problem downtown, nothing has ever been done correctly. The 384 connection to Providence should have at least been completed through the RI border. I believe orginally it would have been called I-86. Communities in Windham county would have benefited huge from that road. Instead of Willimantic being a isolated city, it would have been a real suburb with a short commute into downtown. Instead you have to travel one of the deadliest roads in America, and usually are stuck behind a semi truck doing 45 mph or hitting the ongoing construction that is acomplishing nothing.

The state has spent millions improving Rt 6, only to make it a faster and more dangerous road than before. Enviornmentalist are more concerned about killing a few small insects and animals than Human lives. In the end I believe 384 will eventually be built to connect the Rt 6 bypass in Columbia-Windham but not after spending hundreds of millions of dollars improving a road that should have never been improved to the point it has.

I-84 was originaly designed to run from Hartford to Providence (actually Providence to Portland, Oregon thru Hartford).

The interstate highway that runs from Hartford to the Mass Pike was originally called I-86. It was call I-86 trough the 70's and 80's, until plans to complete 84 to Providence were scraped.

A connection to Providence would have been great. It is also sad that something horrific has to happen for the state to change roadways. For example on Route 44 in Avon the state had to wait for 4 people to be killed in an 18 vehicle pileup to figure out that Avon Mountain is dangerous, now there posting signs to warn driver..like thats going to help.

We need to connect New Englands urban cores so that these cities and everyone in between can benefit.

It is also sad that something horrific has to happen for the state to change roadways. For example on Route 44 in Avon the state had to wait for 4 people to be killed in an 18 vehicle pileup to figure out that Avon Mountain is dangerous, now there posting signs to warn driver..like thats going to help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Suicide Alley (Route 6 on the Cape, what is it with Route 6?) wasn't improved until a mother and her three children were killed in a head-on collission. There had been plenty of deaths before, but basically a whole family was wiped out at once (except for the father). The people on the Cape went ballistic and Gov. Dukakis was forced to act, I think everyone on the Cape sent letters to him, I was like 10 at the time and I sent a letter.

We got them to install a berm (like a big, wide speed bump) between the travels lans, install poles on them with reflectors, and widen the highway so there was about 4-5 feet between on-cmoing travel lanes, rather than the two painted stripes that didn't work.

Link to a pic of what they did to Suicide Alley. There haven't been any deaths since.

I wish the state of CT actually built US 7 into an interstate in southwestern CT since it is a disgrace that this major road, in one of the few growing areas on the state, is at most 4 lanes at some points and it is a major hassle to go from Danbury area to anywhere in lower fairfield county or greater New Haven. I believe that this area is severally unserved by major artilleries (only I-95, 84, and the Merrit) and this area could be in trouble if a major evacuation was needed.

• 7 months later...

http://www.nycroads.com/history/expwy-map_metro/img4.gif

I'm surprised no one posted this map. Imagine the sprawl that would have resulted from these roads, though the development might have ended up benefiting CT greatly economically.

Now that's just scary. Especially the Orient Point crossing into eastern Connecticutt or Rhode Island. Then Long Islanders would've had such easy access to us, ughhh!

Now that's just scary. Especially the Orient Point crossing into eastern Connecticutt or Rhode Island. Then Long Islanders would've had such easy access to us, ughhh!

I'm sure those Hamptons yuppies had a big part in putting an end to any talks of that. Gotta stay isolated from those common folk.

I'm sure those Hamptons yuppies had a big part in putting an end to any talks of that. Gotta stay isolated from those common folk.

Well, had it been built during the Robert Moses era, I'm sure he would've been careful enough to build overpasses too low for buses to pass under, wouldn't want any of those bus-riding folk getting out there!

Well, there's also Suicide Six to consider. No idea why they haven't done something over in Andover about that...

actually about 6-7 years ago, they did a lot of construction on rt 6 in andover to make it safer (or maybe it was even longer than that). i've driven on that strip many times (had a girlfriend in coventry) and i don't understand why people consider it so dangerous. maybe people are just bad drivers around there...

i remember talk many years ago when i was younger in CT about building a bridge across LI sound to somewhere in CT (might've been new london). any bridge would be almost as long as the chesapeake bay bridge/tunnel (17 miles).

route 6 was supposed to be a highway between providence and hartford, connecting to 384. it is a highway between windham and coventry, but that's it, along with 2 lanes of traffic here and there. i believe it received opposition from the people living in the towns along the way. it's really amusing when the online mapping services tell you to take 146 to the mass pike to 84 to get to hartford when you can draw a line from hartford to providence without crossing the mass state line.

route 6 was supposed to be a highway between providence and hartford, connecting to 384. it is a highway between windham and coventry, but that's it, along with 2 lanes of traffic here and there. i believe it received opposition from the people living in the towns along the way. it's really amusing when the online mapping services tell you to take 146 to the mass pike to 84 to get to hartford when you can draw a line from hartford to providence without crossing the mass state line.

That just proves the point that Hartford and Providence are the closet major metro areas in the US that are so poorly connected. It should take about 45 Mins to 1 hr to get from one to another. I think both regions would be strengthened by having better access to each other, but we have debated this before........

actually about 6-7 years ago, they did a lot of construction on rt 6 in andover to make it safer (or maybe it was even longer than that). i've driven on that strip many times (had a girlfriend in coventry) and i don't understand why people consider it so dangerous. maybe people are just bad drivers around there...

i remember talk many years ago when i was younger in CT about building a bridge across LI sound to somewhere in CT (might've been new london). any bridge would be almost as long as the chesapeake bay bridge/tunnel (17 miles).

The proposal in this photo is for the crossing to come out at Watch Hill, RI. I saw somewhere that they also considered building to Groton Long Point via Fisher's Island, NY.

As much as I hate Hamptons Yuppies (mid-island represent!) the Orient crossing would have been on the (reletively lower class) north fork - the Hamptons are on the south fork.

• 5 months later...

State gives green light for Rt 7 bypass, only 30 years after initally proposed.

http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.php?id=1016070#tt

If anything, this just should save drivers about 5 minutes by avoiding lots of the stores, each with their own stop light along the northern part of Federal road in Brookfield.

State gives green light for Rt 7 bypass, only 30 years after initally proposed.

http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.php?id=1016070#tt

If anything, this just should save drivers about 5 minutes by avoiding lots of the stores, each with their own stop light along the northern part of Federal road in Brookfield.

John Destefano seems to be a little irked.

Archived