Atlanta News Updates

ironchapman

Anyone interested in starting up a thread for headlines from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta Business Journal, or any other newspaper? Any sort of headline from the paper is welcome, but Atlanta and metro related ones are preferred. It's not a thread necessarily for posting articles, but rather the headlines in the paper.

In theory, I hope it would look something like this.

I know I could cover the front, sports, metro, and county specific sections (when they are published).

I'll see if I can compile a few from today up.

Any comments or headlines of your own are welcome.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, here's what I found. I won't normally be able to cover so many sections:

From the Front Section

• Eric Rudolph apologized to the victims of his 1996 Centennial Olypmic Park bombing.

• A South Carolina judge set a $75,000 bond for Fletcher taylor, the son of Georgia's Lieutenant Governor, Mark Taylor. His release is also dependent on him enrolling into an alcohol treatment program.

• As mentioned in the thread here, Atlanta is still one of the nation's top 10 best cities to live in.

• Delta stocks fell 9 cents today to end the day at $1.41 per share.

• The trial of who murdered Emory University student Shannon Melendi back in 1994 has just begun.

• The two people found dead in NW Atlanta last Saturday were identified as Jeremiah A. Ingram (20) of Atlanta and Fatima L. Fisher (22) of Stone Mountain.

• Two students from North georgia college and State University were killed in an auto accident this Sunday a few miles south of Dahlonega. A third student was injured from the wreck.

From the Metro section:

• Our mayor Franklin signeed a ban on panhandling.

• The BRAC talks are supposed to begin this Wednesday in Arlington, Virginia. Four GA bases are listed on the BRAC's list, Ft.'s Gillem and McPherson in Atlanta, Naval Air Station Atlanta, and the Naval Supply school in Athens.

• The Atlanta Art Institute is supposed to review the ideas of a merge with SCAD (Savannah College of Arts and Design).

• Supporters of the ill Coretta Scott King offer their prayers for her well-being.

From the Sports Section:

• The Falcons expect eerless Price to make a quick return from his injury. He suffered bruised ribs and a mild concussion after colliding with Tennessee's quarterback Norman Lejune.

• Despite all of the injuries, Tech's football team still has something to look forward to, the return to health of their star cornerback Dennis Davis.

From the Gwinnett Section:

• Gwinnett police officers say having a Taser with them has helped them diffuse many a tense sitiuation.

From the Business Section:

• Richmond has touted its location in its hall of fame pitch as easier to access than Charlotte or Atlanta's proposals.

• Warner is trying to start an "e-label" for digital music.

• Do-it-yourselfers' recently renewed enthusiasm for repairing and building has sparked new growth in the tool-rental businesses offered by such chains as Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.

On the Horizon:

• The GDOT promises to have the new Ivan Allen, Jr. Boulevard finished by the time the GA Aquarium opens on November 23rd.

• The famous 101 year old water tower in Moreland, GA will most likely be demolished because of safety conditions.

Any thoughts? I had to get these from AJC.com, since I lost the paper.

^That was my original idea...I guess I got a little carried away this time.

• As mentioned in the thread here, Atlanta is still one of the nation's top 10 best cities to live in.

• Delta stocks fell 9 cents today to end the day at $1.41 per share.

• Our mayor Franklin signeed a ban on panhandling.

• The BRAC talks are supposed to begin this Wednesday in Arlington, Virginia. Four GA bases are listed on the BRAC's list, Ft.'s Gillem and McPherson in Atlanta, Naval Air Station Atlanta, and the Naval Supply school in Athens.

• The Atlanta Art Institute is supposed to review the ideas of a merge with SCAD (Savannah College of Arts and Design).

• Gwinnett police officers say having a Taser with them has helped them diffuse many a tense sitiuation.

• Richmond has touted its location in its hall of fame pitch as easier to access than Charlotte or Atlanta's proposals.

• The GDOT promises to have the new Ivan Allen, Jr. Boulevard finished by the time the GA Aquarium opens on November 23rd.

Any thoughts? I had to get these from AJC.com, since I lost the paper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any better?

Bad news for some of us in today's paper:

• The BRAC panel has voted to shut down all 4 Georgia bases on its list. The supply school will move to Ft. Benning, though. Naval Station King's Bay in south GA will not be getting the 3,000+ jobs and six new submarines as it could have. The panel voted to keep the station in New London, Conn., so those jobs and subs will remain there.

Anyone else got a few good ones?

Sorry for the delay in posting here!

Anyways, here's what i could find in today's AJC:

• Wolfgang Puck's former colleague Gary Mennie opened his own restaurant, Taurus, yesterday next door to the Wolfgang Ouck Express.

Anyone else wish to add anything?

It seems a bit odd that no one has commented on these articles yet. Comments are more than welcome!

Bad news for some of us in today's paper:
  • The BRAC panel has voted to shut down all 4 Georgia bases on its list. The supply school will move to Ft. Benning, though. Naval Station King's Bay in south GA will not be getting the 3,000+ jobs and six new submarines as it could have. The panel voted to keep the station in New London, Conn., so those jobs and subs will remain there.

Anyone else got a few good ones?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ft. Benning is getting the Armor School from Ft. Knox. An additional 28,000 new residents will be moving into the Columbus metro area in the next few years.

Ft. Benning is getting the Armor School from Ft. Knox. An additional 28,000 new residents will be moving into the Columbus metro area in the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's always good news to hear. Whatever happened to Ft. Gordon. I know it was saved from being on the BRAC list.

I couldn't find much today that didn't deal directly with Hurricane Katrina, but I did find a couple of things:

• Gas prices has gone over $3 today in Atlanta

• Governor Perdue has advised us that we should stay home as much as possible over Labor Day Weekend in order to cut down fuel consumption

• Also, I found a bit on the conventions from New Orleans moving that will be seeking accomodations here. See UP thread

I'll see what else I can find. Comments, anyone?

Let's see what's going on today:

• Roadwork around Metro Atlanta will be taking Labor Day off

• Piedmont Park towers Spark a density debate

• Black Gay Pride will carry on this weekend despite the recent effects of Katrina

• "The Goliath"'s, the largest roller coaster in Six Flags over GA's history, plans were revealed. It is expected to open next year.

Thoughts? Comments? Snide remarks Anyone at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived