What your choice and why?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What your choice and why?

• Greenville, SC
    • Knoxville

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to tell the core density of a lot of Tennessee cities these days because of all the annexation into rural lands (or in Nashville's case) the entire county. Knoxville may have 173,000 people, but it is spread across 93 sq miles, a lot of which is just sprawl land that is sparsly occupied in some areas.

On the other hand, Nashville, for example, has 545,000 residents in the city, which is spread across a massive 475 sq miles...so from the figures, it's hard to tell how dense the actual core is of Nashville. One helping stat is the urban services district (which does NOT include Bellevue, Madison, or Hermitage) has 393,000 of those people in just 169 sq miles, which is double the population density given for the entire city.

I assume Knoxville is the same in this case...if you looked at the old city, it would be about twice as dense as the new boundaries (or maybe more in Knoxville's case).

Point being, it's hard to compare Knoxville, smaller metro with a bigger core, to Greenville, a bigger metro with a smaller core. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CITIES.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point exactly.

This may be true, but I highly doubt that the person who moved to Greenville from Knoxville preferred Greenville because it is a bigger metro with a smaller, less tightly defined core. Comparisons on the physical level can certainly make for somewhat of an awkward discussion, but economic and urban development, quality of life issues, etc. are issues that are more comparable regardless of which cities are involved. I know that the former can certainly affect the latter (and even vice versa), but for the most part, when it comes to such intangibles, comparisons and contrasts come easier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you're right to. ;)

This is the only Greenville/Knoxville thread on the Southern USA forum. You may be referring to the Greenville/Chattanooga thread; I believe Chattanooga is ahead in that poll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That makes this even more ludicrus considering Knoxville is a far better city than Chattanooga in every respect!!

• 3 months later...

I went to College in Chattanooga and now live in Knoxville. I would really be interested in hearing why on Earth anyone would prefer that city?!!

First of all, i would like to preface all my comments by saying that I like Knoxville a lot. My daughter recently graduated from UT, anf I know the city pretty well. I've only lived in Chattanooga for only about three years, having moved here from the Nashville area. In this relatively short time I've learned to love living in this wonderful city. Here's some of the reasons I prefer Chattanooga over Knoxville.

1. Chattanooga has a vibrant, growing downtown area with 24-7 activities.

2. The downtown area continues to grow and gets better every year. Hundreds and hundreds of new apartments and condos are under construction in the downtown area. This will bring even more vibrancy to the area.

3. The Chattanooga waterfront area is a showcase to the entire nation. Many cities are studying the project to adopt this type development to their waterfronts. It's alive with activities and a source of civic pride.

4. Chattanooga is situated with Lookout Mountain, Racoon Mountain, and Signal Mountain all rising 1400 vertical feet above the city...a beautiful setting finer than any city it's size in the Eastern United States.

5. There are towns atop both Lookout Mountain and Signal Mountain that offer thousands of housing units with spectacular views overlooking the city. Missionary Ridge offers much of the same but at a lower elevation.

6. The city is NOT suffering from sububan sprawl!!!! Traffic is manageable, and if fact quite easy to deal with. This certainly can't be said of Knoxville.

7. The weather, especially in the winter, is better in Chattanooga.

8. Chattanooga is closer to big cities (Atlanta and Nashville) and is closer to the beach.

For these reasons, and many others, I consider Chattanooga one of the best places to live in America. Judging from the earlier poll between Greenville and Chattanooga, there are many out there that would agree with me.

For these reasons, and many others, I consider Chattanooga one of the best places to live in America. Judging from the earlier poll between Greenville and Chattanooga, there are many out there that would agree with me.

Hankster, I agree with you. I don't like to say anything against K-town. I did graduate for UT and know both cities very well. I would rather live in Chattanooga. The city feels more urban, it is prettier, and only Pittsburgh can compete with it in the Eastern US for geography. Could be why it is called the "Scenic Center of the South"

• 3 months later...

I choose Knoxville simply due to its proximaty to the mountains (the big ones) and the nice seasonal changes not found south of Chattanooga. I've been to Greenville several times and drive through a lot. It is flat and spread out.

Knoxville has roughly 800,000 metro (2003 census)

Greenville has 580,000 MSA but because of its proximaty to Spartanburg, it lays claim to a cumulative 1,100,000 making it the largest metro in the state. (sorry Columbia). The advantage for Greenville is its location and flat area. It is between the Atlanta - Charlotte corrider with Columbia and Spartanburg.

All said, after seeing both cities several times, Knoxville looks MUCH bigger downtown (not even a good comparison) but Greenville and Spartanburg go on and on and on and on driving on I-85.

And (sorry Knoxville) but Greenville is cleaner.

I can say that Knoxville definitely looks as though it has a larger core than Greenville. Also the river gives Knoxville an aesthetic advantage, but Greenville has capitalized on the small river it has running through downtown with Falls Park on the Reedy, a beautiful urban park. Knoxville's river simply plays more of a prominent role in the cityscape.

Hard decision for me. I would say Greenville, because it is further south and lower in elevation - meaning typically a little milder winter, but would say Knoxville because they are further west in the eastern time zone, meaning a little more light in the evenings (sunset a LITTLE later). Also, I am familiar with Knoxville - have been there several times, but have never been to Greenville, but from what I have seen, I think I would like it.

• 1 month later...

First of all, i would like to preface all my comments by saying that I like Knoxville a lot. My daughter recently graduated from UT, anf I know the city pretty well. I've only lived in Chattanooga for only about three years, having moved here from the Nashville area. In this relatively short time I've learned to love living in this wonderful city. Here's some of the reasons I prefer Chattanooga over Knoxville.

1. Chattanooga has a vibrant, growing downtown area with 24-7 activities.

2. The downtown area continues to grow and gets better every year. Hundreds and hundreds of new apartments and condos are under construction in the downtown area. This will bring even more vibrancy to the area.

3. The Chattanooga waterfront area is a showcase to the entire nation. Many cities are studying the project to adopt this type development to their waterfronts. It's alive with activities and a source of civic pride.

4. Chattanooga is situated with Lookout Mountain, Racoon Mountain, and Signal Mountain all rising 1400 vertical feet above the city...a beautiful setting finer than any city it's size in the Eastern United States.

5. There are towns atop both Lookout Mountain and Signal Mountain that offer thousands of housing units with spectacular views overlooking the city. Missionary Ridge offers much of the same but at a lower elevation.

6. The city is NOT suffering from sububan sprawl!!!! Traffic is manageable, and if fact quite easy to deal with. This certainly can't be said of Knoxville.

7. The weather, especially in the winter, is better in Chattanooga.

8. Chattanooga is closer to big cities (Atlanta and Nashville) and is closer to the beach.

Couldn't have said it better myself. My wife is from Farragut. I'm quite familiar with both cities.

Maybe not as a city, but as a region, that's a different story. The greater Greenville sprawl is nothing to balk at.

"My sprawl is worse than your sprawl!"

In spite of that, Greenville is a pretty progressive Southern city.

Did I hear that correctly?

I hate to say this but as a current resident of Greenville metro area and for someone who has lived in Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, I find Greenville and the Upstate area as a whole the LEAST progressive city/metro in the South.

Not that it isnt a pretty city with a nice little downtown area...it is, but progressive and greenville shouldnt even be in the same sentance.

Oh wow, you are SURE to draw the ire of Greenvillians with that statement. The only thing worse you could have mentioned is a comparison with Columbia in which Columbia has the upper hand. :P

Care to give some rationale here? I'd be curious to know why you feel that way.

Did I hear that correctly?

I hate to say this but as a current resident of Greenville metro area and for someone who has lived in Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, I find Greenville and the Upstate area as a whole the LEAST progressive city/metro in the South.

Not that it isnt a pretty city with a nice little downtown area...it is, but progressive and greenville shouldnt even be in the same sentance.

As much as I would love to agree with you Greenville is actually progressing. It's just that all the developments are on I-85 instead of downtown . Majority of all the developments in Columbia are in it's downtown core. So I wouldn't go that far as saying it's the least progressive city in the south. Greenville is more progressive than Augusta

Greenville has stuff going on downtown as well. The RiverPlace project is downtown, a new hotel is going downtown, as well as some other projects. But I-85 is getting a lot of attention as well--a bit too much if you ask me, but hey, it's development.

I totally agree that in developments and growth...Greenville is progressing. I thought we were talking about the mentality of the people in general...liberal, progressive, conservative, etc.

Greenville is booming beyond belief and with all the new people moving into the area I think it is bound to become (culturally) more liberal and progressive. It is now still the buckle in the bible belt though.

As far as Augusta...when I lived there I thought it was the buckle in the bible belt but Greenville makes Augusta look like sodom and gomorrah culturally. I think there is more tolerance in Augusta because of the larger black population, the huge military presence and the Medical Industry which brings in thousands of people from other parts of the country.

G-Ville definately is progressive when it comes to growth and new developments though, as I stated above.

Archived