Winston-Salem

turlough

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for these.

I didn't mean to sound rude. Forgive me. I didn't know they were that hard to find. I guess NC cities change so much its hard to find a newer skyline. :D Anyone else from Winston-Salem on this forum? I can't post on the other forum. I like this forum better anyways! :P

I've combined Greensboro and Winston-Salem's skylines. There are actually 2 highrises that are not shown in Greensboro's skyline (Guilford Building and Gateway Plaza). They always see to leave those two buildings out when the photo is taken from this perspective.

gsows.jpg

Thanks! Skyscraper Page took a long time to approve my account. I can post there now. I don't understand why all the forum members from my city are on that forum and not this one. This is a much better forum.

GMAC Insurance, West Tower, Crystal Towers, Steven's Center and Adam's Mark tower over northern downtown more than One West Fourth <that missing 4th street building> does in central downtown. All of those are missing in that photo. GMAC Insurance Tower built in 1979 is a full 21 stories and missing from your photo. Thats the same number of floors as the tallest building in Greensboro. I don't understand why there aren't any newer photos of these cities. I did find one new photo in the photo gallery at the other forum. I'm in the process of moving this weekend to a new place and I have a lot of expenses right now. I will get a camera soon and take skyline photos for this forum. I just need to get moved in first.

You also need to resize the Greensboro side. Winston Tower is 410 feet 32 floors. You have Jefferson Pilot as a taller building when it's only 371 feet and 21 floors.

The Gateway Plaza tower and the 16-story Guilford building were left out of the Greensboro photo. Many dont realize it but there is a 10-story tower on the far west side of downtown. It use to be a hotel but now its student housing for UNCG.

Yea I tried to line the landscape up at the bottom. Thats why the Jefferson Pilot building look as tall as the new Wachovia building. Even though Jefferson-Pilot has 20 floors, its technically 26 stories tall including the pyramid. Even that is not Greensboro's tallest. The tallest is the 28-story Sheraton Four Seasons/Joseph S. Koury Convention Center (the picture with my signature) I wish that building were built downtown though. It probablly is the tallest non-downtown tower in North Carolina. I don't think Charlotte has a tower outside of downtown thats 28-stories tall and I know Raleigh, WInston-Salem and Durham don't have buildings outside of downtown that tall. I know Durham has the 20-story University tower thats not downtown. Technically you could say Greensboro has two skylines. The 2nd skyline is the Koury Convention Center and the 12-story Howard Johnson Hotel. Its not much of a skyline but it only takes 2 tall buildings to create a skyline. I saw a scale model of the Four Seasons area in Greensboro some time ago and it showed the current 28-story Sheraton tower, the Howard Johnson and two unknown high-rises near the I-40/High Point Rd interchange. I could only imagine that those are hotels on that model. They appeared to be between 15-20 stories. But if those two high-rises are ever built, it would definately be a second skyline. Those inknown towers being roughly 20-stories tall each, it would begin to compete with Greensboro's downtown skyine! They may have been just conceptual towers to make the model look pretty but who knows what Koury Corp. has planned for the future. That same model also showed an expanded 3-level Four Seasons Mall that is connected to the 28-story Sheraton Hotel and Koury Convention Center. There was also an additional huge parking deck added on the North side of the mall.

The Koury Convention Center is 294 feet tall. It's not the tallest in Greensboro. The Jefferson Pilot Tower holds that honor at 20 stories and 371 feet tall. Durham's University Tower is over 300 feet tall and is the tallest submarket tower in North Carolina. Durham should enjoy having the tallest building outside a CBD while they can. It won't be long before Charotte builds something taller in South Park or one of their submarkets.

Actually I did some checking. There seems to be various numbers floating around about the height of those 2 buildings in Greensboro. I've seen different numbers. The Koury is the tallest. One reason I would agree with that is because the Koury has 28 floors and Jefferson-Pilot only has 20 floors. Each floor is pretty much the same in height. The JP building does have a pyramid at the top which adds 6 more floors in height, so its really close between JP and the Koury. I doubt JP extends more than 80 feet over the Koury. Thats a pretty big difference. I've seen a several sources including Koury Corp which touts the Koury Convention Center as Greensboro's Tallest Building.

Another thing, there are two ways to define the tallest building. some people define the tallest by including a mast or needle structure on top of the building. Others define the tallest by the number of actual floors and they don't include mast structures. In the case of the University tower in Durham, it has a mast on the top of the building but only has 17 floors, THe Koury Convention Center doesn't have a mast but has 28 floors. One could argue either way which one is the tallest suburban building. If the University tower were taller by its needle structure at the top, then that would have to mean that needle is about 11-stories in height

monsoon, Why hasn't that building ever been used? what was its origional purpose?

It was a hotel for PTL's Christian theme park, if I'm not mistaken. I remember seeing it in 1995, when I visited the water park there. The water park was right at this skyscraper and it still had cranes over it!

Residential Buildings / Hotels are on average 3 meters per floor. Office Buildings are on average 4 meters per floor. It's nothing to have a 20 storey office building tower over a 30 storey hotel or apartment building. Also Jefferson Pilot has a tall crown and clock on the roof to boost it's height, as you said. Koury has a flat roof above the highest floor. The Koury Convention Center is only third tallest in Greensboro and 8th tallest in the Triad.

University Tower is 295 feet to the roof, still taller by a foot or two over Koury Convention Center, and it's 358 feet to the top of the spire, which does count.

PTL closed after the couple who ran the Christian organization (if you can call it Christian?) lost a case in court and the leader went to jail. I don't know the details behind what they did, since it happened when I was 3 or 4 years old and living in Alabama. I do know, once the park closed, all construction on the popular theme park ended. The park was closed off and over the years it has opened again and closed again. I got to visit the Fort Mill theme park during a short time when it was open in 1995. Gaylord Entertainment had plans to convert the park to a conference center, but those plans fell through. I think a company outside the US currently owns it (not sure?). Future plans could open the building to the public as a hotel or it could be demolished. I would guess it's reinforced concrete and still in great shape if someone wanted to finish the building and open it. The theme park has housing inside it, with people living inside the closed park, and if you want to visit I'm sure you could drive into the closed park and look around. When I visited, it had a retail area with Christian businesses, go carts, a golf course and a water park, but that was in 1995. I don't know what is there now?

Not only did I see the water park in 1995, but I also visited the park to see the Christmas Lights display they had in December 1994. Do they still have a Christmas light display and is the water park still open? I'm guessing the park is closed to the public now?

Archived