Alabama or South Carolina?

krazeeboi

Which do you prefer, and why?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, and why?

• Alabama
    • South Carolina

Alabama and South Carolina seem to be comparable states in a few respects. The populations of both states are similar, and each state's 3 largest cities pretty much dominate their respective regions (Charleston and Mobile: coast, Columbia and Birmingham: central, Greenville and Huntsville: northern). So which state do you prefer, and why?

I'm bored; ask no questions. :thumbsup:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer SC because I've been there more often. It seems like SC has more of my interests than Alabama.

I used to frequently go to Alabama for fireworks, though until GA legalized sparklers (yes, I am a bit of a redneck, but an urban one)

Alabama seems to be on the move right now. The high-growth areas of Birmingham and Auburn/Opelika have made the state very competive when it comes to attracting new businesses. The Auburn/Opelika area is one of the fasting growing areas in the nation. My vote is for Alabama.

This poll is going about how I thought it would. There seems to be an extreme bias by those in the eastern time zone against anything west of the AL/GA border. Nowhere is it more apparent than in Atlanta and Georgia in general where the Carolinas are routinely discussed due to them being bordering states while Alabama is mostly ignored. Birmingham for example is even closer to Atlanta than Augusta, GA is yet it might as well be located in North Dakota. Alabamians, Mississippians, and Louisianans seem to me to have a far more open minded attitude toward the Carolinas, Georgia and the Florida Peninsula than those places do of their neighbors to the west. That's why the lopsided poll doesn't at all suprise me.

As to the poll between Alabama and South Carolina, I admit that I too would probably prefer SC over Alabama if I was an outsider picking between the two. Charleston is a great port city with incredible history and charm. Columbia, which would probably be my top choice if I was to relocate to SC, has a very convenient central location along with being a nice mid sized metro and college town with all the attractive things that entails. Greenville/Spartanburg is an enigma to me. I can't figure the place out at all. The few times I've passed through I'm left scratching my head as to how this is a metro of over 1 million. Downtown Greenville is charming with some relatively small but attractive and clean office buildings and a nice downtown but the area seemed extremely dead and isolated for a weeknight just after evening rush hour. The cities proximity to the Highlands/Cashiers, NC area is a big plus though.

As for Alabama, the public K-12 education system isn't quite as good as SC but that is understandable considering the miserably poor and wretched Black Belt region (an area of about 12 counties paralleling Montgomery, Selma, Demopolis to Meridian, MS named for the fertile black soil) that is home to some of the poorest communities in the country. The income and education levels among minorities in this region is beyond wretched and is a tremendous drag on state education rankings. Take this small region out and Alabama immediately jumps almost to the middle of the pack among U.S. states. The Bham area is unlike any other large metro in the South with its geography, natural resources, unique downtown setting, and proximity to the beach. Huntsville is a mid sized high tech oasis that is routinely overlooked by outsiders but is as strong as any city its size in the country. Montgomery isn't fancy and is basically the capital of the poor Black Belt region, but the warmth and overall friendliness and laid back attitude along with it being close to the beach is what makes it appealing. Mobile is a nice port city close within easy driving distance of New Orleans, Biloxi, and the prettiest beaches BY FAR in the U.S. (i.e. the Florida and Alabama GULF COAST beaches). Give me the Gulf Coast over the Atlantic Coast anyday.

Bottom line is that SC is probably the more popular national choice and a good choice at that. However, Alabama also has its high points.

As for progressiveness, I would conclude that SC as a whole is probably more progressive than ALA, but only slightly so. Perceptions of Alabama and the state's problems are far more overblown by the media in comparison and tend to very unfairly and negatively label the state. The idea of Alabama being dirty and polluted couldn't be further from the truth either. The Bham and Mobile areas tend to have some air issues but certainly no worse than Atlanta does. SC has the advantage of being in a very high growth region (surrounded by high growth North Ga. and North Carolina) with a large coastline as opposed to being bordered by Mississippi. I'm biased towards Alabama because I'm a native, but I also like the state because the people seem more down to earth and less concerned about wanting to feel like they're superior to everyone else.

This poll is going about how I thought it would. There seems to be an extreme bias by those in the eastern time zone against anything west of the AL/GA border. Nowhere is it more apparent than in Atlanta and Georgia in general where the Carolinas are routinely discussed due to them being bordering states while Alabama is mostly ignored. Birmingham for example is even closer to Atlanta than Augusta, GA is yet it might as well be located in North Dakota. Alabamians, Mississippians, and Louisianans seem to me to have a far more open minded attitude toward the Carolinas, Georgia and the Florida Peninsula than those places do of their neighbors to the west. That's why the lopsided poll doesn't at all suprise me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhhh...Inferiority Complex developing already? Where did you come to that conclusion? What does Time Zone have to do with anything??? Granted, the person who started this poll is from SC, but I only see ONE (1) person from Georgia who voted for SC. Then I see a person from Tennessee, in the Central timezone mind you, who voted for SC. There are a couple members in the eastern time zone who voted for Alabama.

This poll is about personal preferences, not showing loyalty to one specific timezone (which is the most ludicrous argument I've ever heard). As such, being a Floridian with an outsiders opinion of the two states, my preference lies with SC. No slight to Alabama, whatsoever.

I voted for SC, but I may be a little biased. :blush: However, I have been to Alabama, and I can appreciate the many things that the state has to offer. Bham is a great city, and I think if it weren't for its proximity to Atlanta, it would have more prestige as a major Southern city. Mobile can be comparable to Charleston, and with its future developments it can become a city of its own. I do wish that my hometown followed Mobile in its pursuit to redevelop its bad areas with newer and taller buildings!

The beaches? Hmmm...its a toss up for me. You really can't surf the Gulf coast beaches since the current doesn't provide swells high enough, but the water has gorgeous shades of blue, and you can't beat the sugar white sand. SC's beaches have their own rugged beauty, though. While the water isn't pure blue, it gives off spectacular reflections from sunrises, and since the beaches are on the Atlantic, several areas are OK (not great) for surfing.

I do like Alabama, but it is hard for me to turn against my native state! Now, if this thread was Florida vs. SC, I think you would see a different vote from me.

I have nothing against SC, but AL is my choice. My reasons: Huntsville (especially), Birmingham, Mobile, and the fact that I live here. The state has really turned itself around in the past 10 years. We used to be at the bottom in education rankings, now we're 44th, pretty good for a Southern state. The state has plenty of high-paying jobs, our unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the nation (4%).

And who said that Alabama cities are polluted and grimy? Birmingham is the only one that still has pollution problems, but it's normal for a city it's size and the amount of mountains it has surrounding the city center, trapping the smog there.

And I know someone's going to make a redneck comment about AL. AL is not overrun with them, like the news media wants you to think.

Uhhh...Inferiority Complex developing already? Where did you come to that conclusion? What does Time Zone have to do with anything??? Granted, the person who started this poll is from SC, but I only see ONE (1) person from Georgia who voted for SC. Then I see a person from Tennessee, in the Central timezone mind you, who voted for SC. There are a couple members in the eastern time zone who voted for Alabama.

This poll is about personal preferences, not showing loyalty to one specific timezone (which is the most ludicrous argument I've ever heard). As such, being a Floridian with an outsiders opinion of the two states, my preference lies with SC. No slight to Alabama, whatsoever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Time zone may have been a poor choice. I stand by my comments though. I use Georgia as an example because it borders both states. If you watch channels like CSS (which is supposed to stand for and represent College Sports Southeast) and Turner South (whose programming VERY heavily favors Georgia, SC, NC and eastern Florida) you begin to see what the Atlanta market at least considers important. That may be a poor example (i.e. going by the TV programming of 2 Atlanta based TV networks) but it's a visible one. They force feed those areas down the throats of their viewers and the programming is one big commercial for the area.

BTW, it has nothing to do with an inferiority complex either. I just sometimes get sick and tired of people who run down an area based on their highly inaccurate opinions. (i.e. Alabama is a grimy, polluted state).

Our "black belt" would be the Pee Dee and the Lowcountry, save Charleston. Columbia's schools are nationally ranked, and Greenville and Spartanburg have high marks too.

One thing you must consider is that on this forum, as of now, we have many more South Carolinian forumers than we do Alabaman ones. So there is bound to be a bias.

I know Birmingham gets bad press, but from what I've experienced, it really is a jewel of a city. It's unfortunate that the area has really experienced a signficant population loss the past few decades, but I think the city will be bouncing back sooner than we may think.

I vote for Bama, but both places are very nice. I lived in Birmingham for 3 years and loved it. I still have an attachment to the state. I like Charleston too, but it is more of a museum to me. There is no SC equivalent to Bham. And, I think there are now more Yankees in SC. No offense to either state though. And, by the way Fear of Heights, I am from FL and the Eastern Time Zone. :)

No problem Riverside. :thumbsup: The Eastern Time Zone was a poor choice of words on my part. Jacksonville, BTW, is one of my favorite cities. My brother and sister in law lived there for years after they graduated from college and I visited often. My favorite city in Florida. I love the fact that it's clean and progressive but still fairly "Southern" and down to earth. Great golf everywhere you look, many good restuarants, and just an overall good feel to the whole place. Orlando and Tampa are nice too but I prefer J'Vegas. I also found J'ville infinitely more clean and nice than Miami. I still don't see what the strong attraction to Miami is. I'd live in Orlando, Tampa, and J-ville WAY WAY WAY before I'd live anywhere near Miami. Much nicer cities IMHO.

Wow, what a match-up. I think I'll roll the dice on this one and go with Alabama, depite Charleston, clearly being my favorite city in these two states, by far. The deciding factors for me are Mobile and Birmingham, because they are the largest urban cities, in both of these states. Charleston has the class, but as Riverside said, its turning into a museum these days, by wealthy people who buy the old houses for secondary and vacation homes. Nevertheless, this is something that could go either way to me, since Columbia and Greenville are decent places also.

Wow, This board is so slanted towards the Carolina's it's rediculous!!

I'm voting for Alabama to give them support! And becasue...

1) South Carolina has no metro with the skyline or importance of Birmingham (or as nice!!)

2) Mobile is [in my opinion] more happaning than Chareston (and I prefer it)

Go Alabama!!

^LOL.

I agree with the comment on Birmingham, but it seems that as of late, the city and Jefferson County have been losing population. That needs to be addressed. Even if it is the result of sprawl, the central city losing population to suburbs/outlying counties makes it a worse situation.

Columbia has a pretty impresive skyline eventhough its not that tall. Check out this pic taken by wacamatt.

I-77pano2.jpg

Of course it doesn't compare to B'ham but B'ham is a little larger city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've always thought Columbia had quite an impressive skyline for its size.

Archived