Alabama or South Carolina?

krazeeboi

Which do you prefer, and why?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, and why?

• Alabama
    • South Carolina

Columbia is one of my favorite cities to visit and the family loves it too. The city is clean, modern, and yet has a very old style downtown too including those old four sided clocks all over the place. There is also an awesome library downtown. But my and the kid's favorite is the South Carolina State Museum. It is the best museum we've ever been too. It is in an old converted cotton mill downtown. You just gotta go! Here's a picture....

museum.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenville has a nice skyline too, although it is harder to photograph from that far away. The terrain doesn't afford such a flat, panoramic spread. The highrises are on several different levels and this can cause many buildings to appear much shorter from a distance than they actually are. Also, you should check out the list of new highrises coming soon (looks like we may get the tallest in the state). Just follow the link in my signature. Check out the scrolling 360 degree panorama of downtown at THIS SITE! :thumbsup:

As for unique, charming, and very vibrant downtowns, Greenville is one of the very best in the Country. Several cities have sent and are regularly sending delegations here to learn how they can duplicate the success we experience everyday. :)

I chose SC. However, the fact I do live in B'ham currently, there is an increasing desire to move in The SC Upstate for a couple of years now. BE WARNED fellow native Alabamians, I will be very critical of our home state.

Alabama's politics lack of progressive politics does hurt this state BIG TIME. It's not just the national media that gives us a bad flack, but its our own greedy politicians in Montgomery. Its almost sickening the lack of progress in this state's government to allow individual counties to have home rule. I cringe every time I have see another counties issue on the ballot when go to the poll to vote. At least SC has home rule people, which IMO is a plus.

It's ashame also when your state gov't. lack of the vision when it comes to the high tech infastructure, case and point with the development of a bio-tech center in Huntsville when Birmingham is suppose to be the bio-tech hub with UAB. How can you pit your 2 most progressive metropolitan regions against one another over an industry. :angry:

However, I beg to differ about the reply of Jefferson County losing population. Actually the 2003 US Census estimates states that the population of the county has grown but not by much, but Birmingham, now that's another story. I believe Birmingham's biggest problem is its city school system (which almost to the point of no return). The city is also really suffering from its unusual spike in homicides this year (64 to date). The mental perception of this city compared to its suburbs is really causing more problems than solutions for the entire metropolitan area. :blink:

Lastly, I will criticize the state the most about the condition of Birmingham area roadways. The question I like to pose to ALDOT is "Why is that the state's most urbanized area has some of the worst roads while rural areas like Coosa County (particularly Highway 21) has some the state's best?" Can anyone say pork barrelling?

South Carolina:

I'm fascinated also by how that area is 1 million in population, but is comprised of 1 mid-sized (Greenville) and 2 small cities (Spartanburg and Anderson). Greenville County is such a large county with some 350,000, but then yet the city of Greenville is only 56,000 people. :D Its kind of a disappointment to learn the area is not exactly the entertainment hub of state. I find Columbia kind of a disappointment IMO. The city and region is so small to be the capital of SC, and the fact that oversize military base (Fort Jackson) is in the area I would expect the metro population to be more than a mere 600,000. I do give Columbia cool points for being at the main convergence of the state's Interstate system with I-20, I-26, and I-77. Charleston, has potential to become a something more than it is currently especially with impending construction of completing the I-426 (I-526) belt.

In conclusion, I don't mean to degrade Alabama, but we have to change this complacent attitude we have or we'll be victims of our own doing.

Of course I'm a little biased, but SC of course.

Fear Of Heights did pick up on some excellent points - regarding our prejudice against the 'deep south'. Especially with our assumption, speaking as southerners, that anything that is influenced by the northeast is somehow better, more urban, & more civilized. That is - as noticed in several threads - many in VA no longer consider themselves a southern state, but a 'mid atlantic' state, that is even debated in NC, whereas SC views itself as an extension of NC (though I consider NC an extension of SC :)). Skipping GA for now, FL is often considered 'out of the equation', only because of Miami. Lastly - in GA, really north GA / Atlanta we do in fact look up I-85 quite often for economic & cultural relationships.

As for my view of AL, yes - I do admit some snobbery regarding AL's position as a deep south state. Though I admit it's presumptious - being that GA is beside AL & Atlanta is a short distance, but then most in Atlanta would consider southern GA as some other state, having more to do with AL than with GA.

Yes - I admit it's quite a load of bull crap...

But otherwise AL is ok, I do like Birmingham & Huntsville is an impressive mini-high tech city. But SC is my home, & besides Charleston, Columbia & especially Greenville is no match for Birmingham, I'll be a good sandlapper & pick SC.

Lastly - yes SC has strict annexation laws, but the big 3 SC cities are still a tier below Birmingham, yet they are larger than AL's second best three. Greenville's CSA is very misleading, it is much more similar to a Dallas / Ft Worth relationship than it being just Greenville.

Of course I'm a little biased, but SC of course.

whereas SC views itself as an extension of NC (though I consider NC an extension of SC :)). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woah buddy, who have you been talking to? I have never heard such a thing, though the latter is more historically accurate.

Woah buddy, who have you been talking to? I have never heard such a thing, though the latter is more historically accurate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah - I worded that part a bit wrong, I meant many in NC consider SC an extension of their state, rather than the other way around. Primarily the view that Greenville / Spartanburg has developed as an offshoot of NC's I-85 metropolis.

Yeah - I worded that part a bit wrong, I meant many in NC consider SC an extension of their state, rather than the other way around.  Primarily the view that Greenville / Spartanburg has developed as an offshoot of NC's I-85 metropolis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having lived in both states for most of my life (and in border cities too) I can say that I have never seen this to be the case. Nobody that I know in CLT even remotely considers to Greenville/Spartanburg be an offshoot of NC.

And when I grew up in Myrtle Beach, nobody considered Calabash, Sunset Beach, etc to be part of the Grand Strand. It's part of NC.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Greenville, SC now, but both sides of my family are from Syalacauga Alabama.

Interesting thing is that my Grandad spent a great deal of time doing Geneology research on the family and discovered that a great many people that now live in that area of Alabama settled in the upstate of SC for many years before moving westard.

Just thought that was interesting.

On another note, I have spent a great deal of time in Birmingham and I find that I am always ready to leave. It is a town that has all the crime and traffic of a big city, but that offers very little in the way of things to do that make big cities fun to live in.

Huntsville on the other hand is a great town that has limitless possibilities with its strong tech sector.

On the whole I would have to say that I prefer South Carolina but that is based mainly on climate.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm biased toward my home state of Alabama but have visited SC many times and it's a beautiful state. I'm particularly fond of Charleston where we spent a portion of our honeymoon (John Rutledge Inn, a B&B - we also stayed on Kiawah Island) and we have talked many times of returning to this richly historical city.

I happen to be partial to the climate here in Alabama. Although the humidity of the summers can be rather deflating, I prefer it to the colder winters found farther north.

Each state is unique and both offer beautiful scenery and friendly citizens.

• 3 weeks later...

whereas SC views itself as an extension of NC (though I consider NC an extension of SC :)).

Teshadoh, If you go historically, South Carolina is older. North Carolina was built up later with people moving in from either Virginia or South Carolina. SC is just Carolina, as in the Carolina Gamecocks. NC is that as in the North Carolina Tar Heels. Historically North Carolina was considered more backward and rural. During the Twentieth Century, that changed. North Carolina was much larger in area and had some very wealthy families that put money into colleges in the state that changed peoples perceptions. It is now considered more urban and larger, but I'm certain that South Carolinians would not consider themselves as an extension of SC.

Teshadoh, If you go historically, South Carolina is older. North Carolina was built up later with people moving in from either Virginia or South Carolina. SC is just Carolina, as in the Carolina Gamecocks. NC is that as in the North Carolina Tar Heels. Historically North Carolina was considered more backward and rural. During the Twentieth Century, that changed. North Carolina was much larger in area and had some very wealthy families that put money into colleges in the state that changed peoples perceptions. It is now considered more urban and larger, but I'm certain that South Carolinians would not consider themselves as an extension of SC.

Oh you don't have to tell me - I know :)

My intended point is there is some level of an inferiority complex - at least when I grew up - in SC. Not that there should be, & I doubt it is evidant anymore. But when a state is sandwiched between two large urban regions - Atlanta / N GA & Charlotte - Greensboro - Raleigh it will often do that.

In terms of historical development, NC is essentially a baby VA - the vast majority of population stemmed from it's connection to Virginia. In fact Upstate SC is culturally an extension of that population pattern, as Scott-Irish settled through NC into SC & later into GA.

Hmm. That may be true in the Piedmont, but on the coast where I grew up there its almost as if NC doesn't exist. NC is a pretty far off place, and the culture and history there all revolve around Charleston, which BTW is one of the oldest cities in North America, and was not settled by the Scotch Irish. By the time that migration came around Charleston was already a pretty thriving city. And certainly the huge colonies of ex-slaves that existed after the Civil War, really have nothing to do with NC.

And Horry County was pretty isolated from everything. That is why it is known as the Great Republic of Horry (to the locals) with NC being a wilderness on the other side of the line that nobody bothered with. And with the coming of the economic power of Myrtle Beach, the locals look at the people of NC as being unfortunate as they don't have a similar city with all of the amenities that exist in MB. Not even Charlotte compares.

^ I'm not sure where you got that idea from what I wrote.

What I meant was that the Scott-Irish settled Upstate SC from NC whereas the rest of SC had already been largely settled. Charleston had indeed already been established for over 100 years when the Scott-Irish first set foot in the previously settled Cherokee & Catawba territories.

• 1 month later...

I live in Alabama, but I voted for SC. Why? Because it doesn't fudgeing snow here, and it pisses me off! :D Does it snow in SC? I have no clue.

I really did choose Alabama in the poll because it is my home, and I love it. I love it completely and without question, but it does have its problems. Those problems are improving, but we still have the matter of our ignorant state government, which in my opinion is one of the most dumbass collection of politicians in the entire country. Only by the grace of God have we come as far as we have in the last 20 years, despite those ig'nunt baboons down in Montgomery.

However, this isn't about politics. Alabama, without question, has some of the most beautiful countryside in America. The people flat out rawk! Plain and simple, most of us rawk!

Birmingham has a lot of issues that are not being addressed, such as crumbling freeways, no transit to speak of (MAX is not transit people, I'm sorry, MAX is a joke). However, despite all its current problems, Birmingham is far from being the dirty smelly factory town it once was. It is full of amazing history, wonderful old buildings, fantastic people, and pretty good nightlife for such a relatively small city. Like most American cities, it is a victim of sprawl that is not too far away from being out of control, but overall, it is a pleasant city that is doing the best it can to shed one of the most notorious reputations in American history. It's NOT that bad, check it out.

On the other hand, SC is also a beautiful state, and everytime I go there, I enjoy it immensly. So, I chose Alabama because it is my home, but I have no issues with SC. Like the rest of the south, and yes, even the often belittled Mississippi, both states have alot to offer, and the south wouldn't be the south without em.

Archived