Alabama or South Carolina?

krazeeboi

Which do you prefer, and why?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, and why?

• Alabama
    • South Carolina

I live in Alabama, but I voted for SC. Why? Because it doesn't fudgeing snow here, and it pisses me off! :D Does it snow in SC? I have no clue.

It does, most often in the northwest part of the state (which we call the Upstate) and the north central part (just south of Charlotte). Unfortunately, we also get ice storms from time to time. As we speak, the Upstate is still in the process of cleaning up from one that hit the region about 2 weeks or so ago where many were without power for a week.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for SC. It has more personality and is somewhat more progressive, yet not terribly progressive. I like the distinct geographical regions of South Carolina (coast, low country-coastal plain, piedmont, and start of Appalachians) and find Charleston, while imperfect, matched by few cities. That being said, I find Birmingham a much more formadible city than Columbia or Greenville-Spartanburg (which seems to be something of a contrived metro sprawling along I-85 rather than a distinct city imo). I suppose I have a bit of the biased opinion of thinking of the 'Southeast' as VA to GA including SE TN and the 'Deep South' as AL to LA including AK. But I have lived in AL and near SC and have traveled each state extensively and find SC a little more to my liking.

Buckley, interesting comments.

"...distinct geographical regions of South Carolina (coast, low country-coastal plain, piedmont, and start of Appalachians)..."

I'd say the states are similar in that regard. Alabama has the coastal region (Mobile-Baldwin), which is probably the most distinct from the rest of the state, the Wiregrass region , the Black Belt+West AL region, the Tennessee Valley region, the southern Appalachian foothills region (B'ham-Gadsden-Anniston-Ft. Payne), etc.

Buckley, interesting comments.

"...distinct geographical regions of South Carolina (coast, low country-coastal plain, piedmont, and start of Appalachians)..."

I'd say the states are similar in that regard. Alabama has the coastal region (Mobile-Baldwin), which is probably the most distinct from the rest of the state, the Wiregrass region , the Black Belt+West AL region, the Tennessee Valley region, the southern Appalachian foothills region (B'ham-Gadsden-Anniston-Ft. Payne), etc.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking AL, just stating a slight preference. Actually, I had the same thoughts re: differing regions in AL as well (I am a particular fan of the Ridge and Valley Appalachian foothills you describe around Ft. Payne and Gadsden and Anniston), I just don't find AL's regions as culturally and topographically as distinct as SC's.

I don't think many people know a lot about eachother's states when they make comments. I thought it was wierd to compare S. carolina and Alabama. Wouldn't you compare AL and MIss and N. carolina and S. carolina or something like that. Oh well.

I don't think many people know a lot about eachother's states when they make comments. I thought it was wierd to compare S. carolina and Alabama. Wouldn't you compare AL and MIss and N. carolina and S. carolina or something like that. Oh well.

I agree that most of the people voting in these polls don't know much about the other places in the lists. I consider these polls to be a fairly accurate graphical representation of what we already know about the members of UrbanPlanet.org. You'll definitely notice a change once more readers become members from your state. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
You'll have to provide some hard facts to back that up, because I don't see that to be true at all, except for an occasional bust on I-85 of someone smuggling drugs from Miami to locations in the Northeast. Believe me that does NOT make the Carolinas overrun by drugs at all. :huh:
I-95 is also a major drug corridor, and a lot of these drugs get bought and sold along the way. I know some people that left Alabama for South Carolina because it was harder for them to sell dope in Bama.

• 3 weeks later...

I also voted South Carolina, because I like the Atlantic coast. I like the sunrise over the ocean. Besides- I have only been to Alabama once and that was only in the EXTREME northeastern corner, where I-59 crosses over from Georgia. I am sure it is a nice state however. I have family in upstate SC in the Anderson area. They used to live in Easley. We visited them there and I loved it. I have also been to Myrtle Beach before- loved it too, but it was too crowded. I actually prefer Wilmington, NC - just up from there.

My aunt and uncle went to Muscle Shoals, AL a couple of years ago - they went to some sort of theme park there. Seemed they enjoyed themselves immensely.

I want to visit Columbia as well as Charleston - but I also want to visit Birmingham.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not really, The Carolinas are a drug corridor.

An old topic and not trying to ignite the fire here again,

Fayetteville is the halfway point between NYC and Miami as there is a SERIOUS drug trafficking problem out there (many overnight stays occur out there). Also, Eastern & Western NC are seeing meth problems that are growing at epidemic levels.

• 8 months later...

Archived