Cobb Center Mall History (for those who care)

GeorgiaRoadGuy

Well after extensive microfilm research, I discovered the opening date and original stores of Cobb Center Mall. Cobb's first mall opened on August 15, 1963 and was an open-air plaza with other anchors including Sauls (a local Marietta store) and Colonial Grocery Store. The Colonial very much appears to be what was later the abandoned building on the SW corner on Terraserver and the Sauls appears to have expanded into what later became Kessler's judging by the photos.

The Rich's only included the two story portion: the north addition was not built until later, but when that happened was unknown: most likely it was during the mid-late 1960's. The mall originally had a mere 22 stores, so it was a very tiny mall at best, and one-sided at that. The Davis House Restaurant (later Davis Brothers?) featured in its ads that it sold Kentucky Fried Chicken!

When I get copies of the articles I will be publishing a website dedicated to one of Georgia's earliest malls and the fourth store in the Rich's chain. Predecessors to the Cobb Rich's included Belvedere, Lenox and Downtown. I have a wealth of info on Belvedere as well, but still no photos. Belvedere lasted from 1959-1986 and opened only two months after Lenox did.

If anybody out there has photos or info on the Cobb Center or Belvedere stores, I would love to here from you :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after extensive microfilm research, I discovered the opening date and original stores of Cobb Center Mall.  Cobb's first mall opened on August 15, 1963 and was an open-air plaza with other anchors including Sauls (a local Marietta store) and Colonial Grocery Store.  The Colonial very much appears to be what was later the abandoned building on the SW corner on Terraserver and the Sauls appears to have expanded into what later became Kessler's judging by the photos. 

The Rich's only included the two story portion: the north addition was not built until later, but when that happened was unknown: most likely it was during the mid-late 1960's.  The mall originally had a mere 22 stores, so it was a very tiny mall at best, and one-sided at that.  The Davis House Restaurant (later Davis Brothers?) featured in its ads that it sold Kentucky Fried Chicken!

When I get copies of the articles I will be publishing a website dedicated to one of Georgia's earliest malls and the fourth store in the Rich's chain.  Predecessors to the Cobb Rich's included Belvedere, Lenox and Downtown.  I have a wealth of info on Belvedere as well, but still no photos.  Belvedere lasted from 1959-1986 and opened only two months after Lenox did.

If anybody out there has photos or info on the Cobb Center or Belvedere stores, I would love to here from you :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this the mall where all they have left is the old Rich's store which is now in another shopping center.

Archived