Pinnacle Hills Promenade

RemusCal

Ok, Mith, I have to tell you, your "maleness" is showing :P . You obviously speak from a man's point of view. Women don't just walk 500 feet to one store. We walk 500 feet to one store, try on 3 things, walk 500 feet to another store, try on 5 more things, decide the first store had the best stuff, walk back 500 feet. When we get back to the first store, we decide that the brown pants aren't as flattering as we remembered, so we walk 1000 feet to the outparcels, because in the meantime we've spoken to our sister on the phone, and she's told us that the store in the outparcels is having a sale on pants. When all is said and done, we walk back to the first store and buy the brown pants. :P Add to that a 4yr old and 7 yr old "shopping buddies" who are too old for a stroller, but not interested in brown pants. Get the picture?

Love the little cars.

:lol:

Yeah, yeah I see where you're coming from. But also from my perspective, one of the problems we have in today's world is that people don't get adequate exercise. Americans don't walk around as much as Europeans. And wouldn't you know it, we tend to be more overweight and out of shape overall compared to Europeans.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, yeah I see where you're coming from. But also from my perspective, one of the problems we have in today's world is that people don't get adequate exercise. Americans don't walk around as much as Europeans. And wouldn't you know it, we tend to be more overweight and out of shape overall compared to Europeans.

Point taken, Mith. However, it's also about the shoes. Guys feel perfectly comfortable walking around in shorts and athletic shoes. Most women, if we're shopping in a nice place in the summer, are going to be wearing our cute sandals. I work out 5-6 times a week in my athletic shoes, but when it comes to shopping, exercise is not my goal. Just my opinion, of course.

Those looking for more exercise are free to walk around the Promenade, but it's nice to be "offered" a ride in a hi-tech looking "green" cab when you've already put in your desired exercise.

I don't see how anyone could criticize the Promenade for making these "green" Yellow Cabs available because they could've just as easily gone the route of Branson Landing and offer gas guzzling trolley buses to move people around the mall. Besides that the hi-tech looking Yellow Cabs at the Promenade add to the overall modern appeal that it has.

On the "green" aside, a library is nearly the ultimate in green buildings. Basically it is a repository for books which ARE made from paper, BUT the vast majority of that paper is either very old or came from pulp trees grown just for paper manufacture. More importantly, they are a place that PREVENTS the use of more paper for books. A typical book at a library is checked out many hundreds of times, without libraries that one copy would have been reprinted many many times. At some point in the future there will be purely electronic books that work, but not yet. I've read many books on my Palm but I have good vision and am technically competent, many aren't either and for them libraries will be very useful for at least the next 10-20 years.

Back on topic though, I would add that the Promenade is trying to emulate the downtown shop feel of a city, but then they do stuff like this. I've been shopping in many downtowns and there were never "courtesy shuttles" and most of those downtowns are significantly larger than the Promenade. If people can walk up and down 16th in Denver, Michigan Ave in Chicago, the strip in Las Vegas, or virtually any part of NYC, they can walk around the Promenade. The problem isn't that they are offering the service or that people are taking advantage of it, it is that they even CONSIDERED offering it. Knowing how these things are abused, for every mother with several small children that use it there will be ten overweight people using it. Don't believe me? Just go to Wal-Mart and look who uses the disabled carts for every person with a disability or a broken leg/hip there are numerous people who are just plain overweight.

Jeez, some of you people amaze me that you can knock something as innocent as courtesy transportation at a shopping mall. The fact that they're "green" and don't contribute to greenhouse emissions should keep you people content. Think they're making people fat? What about online shopping where people don't even have to lift their fat azz off their chair to go shopping. At least trees aren't being chopped down over it.

I didn't realize this was going to turn out to be such a hotly contested subject. :lol: Anyway all I'm saying is that at least from my perspective it's just another sign of laziness in today's society. As Julles pointed out, I'm sure there are good aspects to it. But I guess I just don't see it from my particular perspective. :D

Yeah man don't get so wild up. Were just joking a bit about how ridiculous it sounds. Seems they could have done better use with the money, IMO. Take for example more water fountains at the Promenade. It's atrocious how you can't find them anywhere but a few places at the Promenade.

I actually saw one the other day and I laughed my ass off. It's a golf cart with a pulsating green bar light on the top. ^_^

Yeah man don't get so wild up. Were just joking a bit about how ridiculous it sounds. Seems they could have done better use with the money, IMO. Take for example more water fountains at the Promenade. It's atrocious how you can't find them anywhere but a few places at the Promenade.

I actually saw one the other day and I laughed my ass off. It's a golf cart with a pulsating green bar light on the top. ^_^

Yeah, this NWA forum is turning into something of a joke lately. Let's all just laugh about all the pipe dreams and failed developments in this little metro. In fact let's make a list of all the developments that have failed to meet everyone's expectations. Oh yeah that's all of them so no point in making a list.

Anyway, your funny little "golf carts" are actually electric cars that can reach 35MPH and are also available for shoppers needing a ride offsite; like to the hotels or nearby residential neighborhoods. Hmm. Don't sound so effin funny anymore do they.

Yeah, this NWA forum is turning into something of a joke lately. Let's all just laugh about all the pipe dreams and failed developments in this little metro. In fact let's make a list of all the developments that have failed to meet everyone's expectations. Oh yeah that's all of them so no point in making a list.

Anyway, your funny little "golf carts" are actually electric cars that can reach 35MPH and are also available for shoppers needing a ride offsite; like to the hotels or nearby residential neighborhoods. Hmm. Don't sound so effin funny anymore do they.

Come on man don't take it so personal. I know they provide offsite rides for a small fee. Nothing wrong with people wanting to take them from the Embassy to the Mall, heck I'd do it to for a mear quarter. I'm just saying that it's a bit funny to see people riding them around in the mall. I can see the elderly, handicap, small children, and poor health folk using this service, but perfectly healthy people riding around on them seems like a waste of resources, IMO.

As well, if you feel the forum is becoming a joke than please post more info on projects and updates. Not everyone can get out and get info on projects or take pictures. I'm sorry if that's the way the forum is viewed as, but I would love if you posted any info you may have on projects.

In reference to the "green" carts at the Promenade, I think its disgusting in certain aspects and appreciated in others. I can see if your elderly and/or handicapped but when youve got someone who is taking advantage of the carts by being horribly overweight and is too lazy to walk with their own god-given two feet it gets under my skin.

This just gives the rest of the world another reason to call Americans lazy.

/end rant

Come on man don't take it so personal. I know they provide offsite rides for a small fee. I'm just saying that it's a bit funny to see people riding them around in the mall. I can see the elderly, handicap, small children, and poor health folk using this service, but perfectly healthy people riding around on them seems like a waste of resources, IMO.

One more point, time can be an issue as well. Whenever I do get an afternoon to myself for shopping, I want to make the most of every minute. As Mith said, it's all in your point of view. Time-crunched, weary Moms and older folks are going to love this. I think it definitely has its place. Who cares if Michigan Avenue doesn't have little green cars? Maybe they need to take a cue from us. India has for decades used tiny little taxis to get people around, and I found it to be a very cost effective method of convenient transportation.

Back on topic though, I would add that the Promenade is trying to emulate the downtown shop feel of a city, but then they do stuff like this. I've been shopping in many downtowns and there were never "courtesy shuttles" and most of those downtowns are significantly larger than the Promenade. If people can walk up and down 16th in Denver, Michigan Ave in Chicago, the strip in Las Vegas, or virtually any part of NYC, they can walk around the Promenade. The problem isn't that they are offering the service or that people are taking advantage of it, it is that they even CONSIDERED offering it. Knowing how these things are abused, for every mother with several small children that use it there will be ten overweight people using it. Don't believe me? Just go to Wal-Mart and look who uses the disabled carts for every person with a disability or a broken leg/hip there are numerous people who are just plain overweight.

Honestly the idea of the little green cars at the mall sounds kinda stupid to me...but if people use it so be it, doesn't bother me any.

Now about your argument on Denver, Chicago, and Vegas. I have been to all three of these cities several times and they all have forms of transportation in the areas you listed. Denver (which by the way is the greatest city in the US), has a free mall shuttle that goes up and down 16th street and it makes a stop at every intersection. These buses are electric also and are free to the public...that is why they are call "free mall ride" which is ran by the RTD of the greater Denver Metro Area. Last time I went to Vegas and Chicago there are cabs, limousines, monorails, city buses and even moving sidewalks that move people around. Yes walking is a choice but if you didn't feel like walking or you can't walk that far you can take a cab or pay 2 dollars and ride the bus...there are other forms of transportation. While I think this idea is crazy for the Promenade, if people use it let em' they aren't hurting any of us (unless of course one of the cabs run us over).

Aldo is a popular mid-scale shoe store. They have lotsa styles (dress, work, casual) for both men's and women's for affordable prices.

Yes and no, I like the design of the Promenade, but the stores themselves really are smaller than a lot of the same stores as in the NWA mall. For instance, the Banana Republic is substantially smaller as is The Buckle. The Hog store is a lot bigger but that is about all...

At least a Banana opened at all? All stores (especially midscale to luxury stores that are new to the market) will open small first. If its successful, they will expand in the future.

The structural construction on Granite City is almost complete. Also, Bed Bath & Beyond and TJ Maxx are just about complete as well.

I was talking to a friends who's from the Midwest, where Granite City is pretty popular. I guess I'm just trying to figure out the law on alcohol in Benton County. I keep getting the impression that Granite City is a brewpub that serves food. I know you have have certain rules in serving and drinking alcohol. But it seems weird that there isn't going to be a problem with them actually brewing beer there. Just seems rather odd for a 'dry' county.

I was talking to a friends who's from the Midwest, where Granite City is pretty popular. I guess I'm just trying to figure out the law on alcohol in Benton County. I keep getting the impression that Granite City is a brewpub that serves food. I know you have have certain rules in serving and drinking alcohol. But it seems weird that there isn't going to be a problem with them actually brewing beer there. Just seems rather odd for a 'dry' county.

That does seem odd. I know you can drink beer without a membership at Rib Crib in Rogers, so maybe the dry law is just being ignored. I wonder if there will be a crackdown in the near future or maybe with so many places serving alcohol the county will finally realize the dry law is garbage that should be tossed away.

Until the state legislature changes the percentage that voted in the last election that it takes to validate the petition it won't pass. I'm not sure if that is stated exactly right, but the reason the percentage was changed was to keep Benton County dry. The powers that be wanted the percentage raised and until they change their minds it won't be.

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that in Benton County package alcohol sales are illegal, especially considering they happen anyway. It's a positive situation for Washington County and especially Mcdonald County in Mo. They are both thrilled to collect the tax revenue from sales. Legislating morality has never worked and it doesn't now. Something that a lot of people don't realize and local law enforcement overlooks, is that possession of untaxed alcohol, ie. untaxed by the state of Arkansas, is illegal. When you go to Mo. and bring it back across the state line you are breaking the law.

Until the state legislature changes the percentage that voted in the last election that it takes to validate the petition it won't pass. I'm not sure if that is stated exactly right, but the reason the percentage was changed was to keep Benton County dry. The powers that be wanted the percentage raised and until they change their minds it won't be.

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that in Benton County package alcohol sales are illegal, especially considering they happen anyway. It's a positive situation for Washington County and especially Mcdonald County in Mo. They are both thrilled to collect the tax revenue from sales. Legislating morality has never worked and it doesn't now. Something that a lot of people don't realize and local law enforcement overlooks, is that possession of untaxed alcohol, ie. untaxed by the state of Arkansas, is illegal. When you go to Mo. and bring it back across the state line you are breaking the law.

Exactly. You aren't keeping people from buying alcohol, they just go across the county line to buy it. Benton County is already enjoying higher sales tax revenues. Just think if they also could get some from alcohol as well. Especially the people who go to Missouri and our state doesn't get any of that revenue. While we're on this subject I also wish Washington County, or Fayetteville at least, would allow Sunday sales of alcohol. I believe just to locations allow it, Eureka Springs and Wiederkehr Village. It's not too uncommon that people from Washington County also go to Missouri to buy alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to the Benton County Building Permits, it looks like Pottery Barn is coming to the Pinnacle Hills Promenade. That is a big deal. Glad to see more upscale stores are moving into this mall. Now if just JCrew, Apple, and Cheesecake Factory would come, it would be perfect.

Archived