Pinnacle Hills Promenade

RemusCal

I saw that:

- A Steak n shake is coming in near the Olive Garden, and;

- A Harp's supermarket, similar to the new one in north Rogers and the Har-Ber area, will be built at the end of the parkway (named for a woman but I can't remember her name) that will be the new exit they're building by the Promenade.

Steak n Shake. Great. A drive-through patty melt will soon be available to me. I might as well break out the mumu's right now :). As if drive-through doughnuts aren't enough.

Actually, I think these are a couple of nice additions. The Harp's stores are nice, I have to say, even though I'm a Wal-mart girl. For those of you who haven't heard, Harp's has a gas station, and they give rather substantial discounts when you buy certain products. Some products yield up to a 7cent per gallon discount, and I believe the discounts are cumulative. My Mom was telling me about it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I think these are a couple of nice additions. The Harp's stores are nice, I have to say, even though I'm a Wal-mart girl. For those of you who haven't heard, Harp's has a gas station, and they give rather substantial discounts when you buy certain products. Some products yield up to a 7cent per gallon discount, and I believe the discounts are cumulative. My Mom was telling me about it.

Yeah I'm a little surprised it took them this long to put one there. I've been trying to tell them to put one there for several years. At least they finally worked something out. I have noticed Harp's has been getting some press over the discounts on gas. They've done this for a while. But I guess with high gas prices the media finally picked up on it.

Yeah I'm a little surprised it took them this long to put one there. I've been trying to tell them to put one there for several years. At least they finally worked something out. I have noticed Harp's has been getting some press over the discounts on gas. They've done this for a while. But I guess with high gas prices the media finally picked up on it.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...463&k=Harps

I've been a big fan of that program ever since they put the store on Wedington while I lived out that way. It really isn't a gimmicky deal. There's some "luxury" type items like ice cream bars that you really don't need just to save a few pennies on gas, but there's deals on staples like paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, canned goods, etc., as well.

The real seasonal killer for the Promenade won't be cool dry days, it will be cold rain. NWA doesn't really get cold until January and February which are slow months anyway, but November and December can both be very rainy and 40 deg with rain sucks almost as bad as 10 deg with sun. This winter has been pretty dry so far, but the remainder of the week looks to be more conventional with 30-50% chances of rain or even freezing rain every day.

The Pinnacle Hills Promenade is still the premier shopping and dining venue in NWA. It will still do the most business year round and should actually do very well for holiday shopping since December weather is extremely mild in NWA, but has that extra crispness that adds a wintery feeling to holiday shopping. Who wants to be cooped up in a hot stuffy building during the holidays when the Promenade offers a more festive and wintery downtown feel to the shopping experience? Some may, but I don't know many that would. I also like the Christmas decorations at the Promenade better and the trees all lit up and Christmas music playing over the awesome sound system can't be beat.

Gas prices will keep many people in Washington County and other nearby counties from making the trip to Rogers as often as they would like the same way it keeps me from going to Fayetteville for stores like Toys-R-Us and Hastings. What makes the Promenade more of a regional shopping and dining destination is that its far from complete and it will continue to get bigger and better than anything else in NWA. The Promenade is only a year old so one cannot expect it all overnight, but there's more potential for more retail, dining and entertainment in Rogers right now than anywhere else in NWA.

Of course it's the premier location, it's the newest and nicest. Considering there's a similar amount to more population near it than NWA mall, and it's nicer, your statements are nothing more than common sense, you don't need to sound so defensive when people question the perpetual success of things in Rogers. :D

My statements weren't saying that Pinnacle was failing or that NWA mall is going to be a powerhouse mall over it, they were merely common sense observations that the "new" had worn off and that with our weather (many people do prefer the climate controlled indoor comfort of about 72-74 degrees that you label hot and stuffy to the comfort of our 30 degree winds) most people from Fayetteville and southern Springdale wouldn't be driving there for Christmas shopping, which would help NWA mall level out again. I do firmly believe that Pinnacle will continue to grow and be successful, I have tremendous respect for that company at creating nice, upscale shopping areas that everyone can enjoy (even if they do cause massive sprawl), and Jordan Creek Town Center (another General Growth Property mall ) is probably the nicest atmosphere (not the nicest mall, but the best atmosphere) of a mall I've ever been too. I was dissapointed Pinnacle came out feeling more cookie-cutter modern construction, didn't have as much natural landscaping as renderings had led us to believe, cars could drive through the "pedestrian" areas of the mall, and was lacking in connected indoor shopping meshed with urban outdoor shopping, but it's still nice. Anyway, I got sidetracked. What I was saying is that with this company's success with projects like Jordan Creek, which basically created a whole new part of Des Moines (like Pinnacle in Rogers), I have no doubt it'll be the nicest place to shop for the forseeable future, but that doesn't mean that nothing else will do well, regardless of whether they're the "premier" location or not. Premier is a just an adjective (and an overused one with a lot of modern projects) to desribe what has the most expensive/nicest feeling to it right now, nothing more.

you don't need to sound so defensive when people question the perpetual success of things in Rogers. :D

You have no argument. Maybe you should take your own advice and not be so defensive about NWA Mall. Just accept that fact that the premier (as in best and most popular) shopping venue is and always will be the Pinnacle Hills Promenade. If I said that in a Fayetteville thread you might have a case, but you don't. And my comments are no more common sense than yours are and yes when people put on sweaters and coats to go shopping an indoor mall can become pretty hot and stuffy unless everyone strips which is quite inconvenient. Who's going to carry the coats and sweaters?

If you're going to comment or (in this case) berate any of my comments here expect an unforgiving retaliation from me. You won't see me berate or attack anyone else's comments (as in "your statements are nothing more than common sense") on this forum and I expect the same courtesy. :thumbsup:

You have no argument. Maybe you should take your own advice and not be so defensive about NWA Mall. Just accept that fact that the premier (as in best and most popular) shopping venue is and always will be the Pinnacle Hills Promenade. If I said that in a Fayetteville thread you might have a case, but you don't. And my comments are no more common sense than yours are and yes when people put on sweaters and coats to go shopping an indoor mall can become pretty hot and stuffy unless everyone strips which is quite inconvenient. Who's going to carry the coats and sweaters?

If you're going to comment or (in this case) berate any of my comments here expect an unforgiving retaliation from me. You won't see me berate or attack anyone else's comments (as in "your statements are nothing more than common sense") on this forum and I expect the same courtesy. :thumbsup:

It wasn't an argument, and I wasn't attacking you, and I tried to make it clear I agreed that it IS the premier location in NWA. Did you read my whole post? My comments were simply that your previous post didn't address some of my issues at all the way I meant them to be taken, despite the tone of your reply that apparently there is no reason not to drive to Pinnacle expect for gas prices. My comment about defensiveness to Rogers was not meant to be inflammatory, but you do tend to focus more on Rogers (which is fine) and tend to be more critical of other cities in the metro when amenities are compared, but the same could be said for many other posters about Fayetteville (probably myself included), but this isn't a rivalry and I didn't mean it to be insulting.

For reference though, I have a hard time taking you seriously when you make statements like "is and always will be", or "accept the fact", both of which are completely opinions and present them as facts. For all we know in ten years Bentonville will build the world's most impressive shopping center and Pinnacle will be downgraded to premier-1. Your edginess about the issue and treating my post, which was not meant to be hostile but was just an observation, like an attack and retorting in kind is not necessarily the most considerate way to deal with things. I did clearly state that MY comments were also common sense, so there's no sense in taking that as an insult either. I only berated your opinion to the same extent you berated mine by the way you responded about NWA Mall. Don't mistake my observations for opinions of NWA mall being superior, in no way did I ever say that, and I wasn't attacking Pinnacle other than for it being more generic than some people like to think.

If you feel the need for further reply, please send a private message. We don't need to be muddling up the forum over minor issues (and apparent misunderstandings) like this.

Okay let's not get carried away about which places to shop. I think what was originally being said was that despite all the 'gloom and doom' the NWA Mall didn't die and it doing alright. Anyway I still think this goes back to the area being big enough to support two major shopping areas. Everyone back to your holiday shopping. :D

If you feel the need for further reply, please send a private message. We don't need to be muddling up the forum over minor issues (and apparent misunderstandings) like this.

I admit I overreacted. Sorry about that. I can appreciate opposing opinions, but I just don't like my opinions being referred to as "nothing more than common sense." That just takes it to a more personal level than simply stating an opposing opinion. I agree than NWA Mall will be able to stay in business with competition from the Promenade. Higher sales taxes, gas prices and impending national recession are challenges that both malls will face.

I admit I overreacted. Sorry about that. I can appreciate opposing opinions, but I just don't like my opinions being referred to as "nothing more than common sense." That just takes it to a more personal level than simply stating an opposing opinion. I agree than NWA Mall will be able to stay in business with competition from the Promenade. Higher sales taxes, gas prices and impending national recession are challenges that both malls will face.

That's fine, I understand. I didn't mean it to sound so harsh, that's one reason I also labelled my statements as "common sense" also to show I wasn't trying to be insulting, but those things happen.

I agree that sales taxes and gas prices are bound to affect how far people are willing to go to shop. I was glad to see gas under $3 again, but this seems to be a relatively lean year financially for a lot of people, so I doubt it dropping to slightly less ridiculously expensive is going to help a whole lot. I've been pleased to see the stores (at least the big ones I get ads from) are doing some pretty impressive sales this season. I went to Best Buy (Fayetteville) yesterday to look at a cheap laptop and got incredibly frustrated with the crappy customer service and a computer salesman that couldn't have passed the most basic computer knowledge tests. I told him to leave me alone after a little bit. Is the Best Buy at Pinnacle any better?

I went to Best Buy (Fayetteville) yesterday to look at a cheap laptop and got incredibly frustrated with the crappy customer service and a computer salesman that couldn't have passed the most basic computer knowledge tests. I told him to leave me alone after a little bit. Is the Best Buy at Pinnacle any better?

The Pinnacle Best Buy is at least as bad or worse than the Fayetteville store. I actually had to go to the Fayetteville Best Buy to get something that was out of stock at Pinnacle and the customer service was much better in Fayetteville. I'm doing all my major shopping online this year, but I'll still pick up a few things here and there in stores.

I somehow always hear that shopping online isn't always safe. Like giving your credit card number and stuff. I just want to know what you guys think about it. Any input would be very much appreciated.

I admit I was a bit wary at first too. But I've had no problems whatsoever. I think the biggest thing is to buy things from credible sources. Don't go to some weird site no one has ever heard of to go after some 'great deals'. I'm doing a lot of my Christmas shopping online this year as well. The only problem I'm having is that it's taking longer for things to ship because it's so busy this time of year.

I admit I was a bit wary at first too. But I've had no problems whatsoever. I think the biggest thing is to buy things from credible sources. Don't go to some weird site no one has ever heard of to go after some 'great deals'. I'm doing a lot of my Christmas shopping online this year as well. The only problem I'm having is that it's taking longer for things to ship because it's so busy this time of year.

Mostly agree. I've been buying things online (probably a couple thousand dollars worth a year or more, at a wide range of sites) for years... probably since the late 90s. Never once had a problem. When I don't know if a site is trustworthy but they have a good deal I want, I check to see if they offer PayPal payment (secure, they never see your financial information) or if they're rated at resellerratings.com. Thanks to shopping online I'd saved hundreds to thousands of dollars because I'll find something I want and deal hunt online until I find the best deal possible, and for me, the best deals have always been at sites I don't hesitate to trust. Most online shopping anymore is done at major sites (major department/electronic store's sties, Amazon, Buy.com, eBay (safe as long as you use Paypal and don't give the seller any financial information), Overstock.com or the like, so there's no more risk than shopping at a real store.

I somehow always hear that shopping online isn't always safe. Like giving your credit card number and stuff. I just want to know what you guys think about it. Any input would be very much appreciated.

I am all for shopping online (as long as it is a reputable site). Next time you go out to arestaurant, think about what the pimple face teenager could be doing with your card when they take it and disappear with it for awhile. This is a good opportunity for them to write down all the info they need from the card, if they wanted to. Even at any brick or mortar store, all the cashiers have access to the number on your credit card after you leave the store. Sending checks in the mail and receiving statements and bills in the mail can be more risky also. Things can get lost, put in the wrong mailbox, and even mail can be stolen. I think online shopping online with a credit card is alot safer than you think.

• 5 weeks later...

This is an old reply but I thought it was pertinent. My aunt works in the credit card fraud department of Arvest and I asked her some questions about identity theft last Christmas and she said that a good 50% of their credit card fraud can be traced to people using their cards at restaurants where you give the card to someone and they use a magnetic device that reads everything off the card while walking to the register. She said that the funny thing is that in major cities it is actually far worse. Only about 5-10% of the fraud Arvest sees originates from anything online and a LOT of that isn't really online transactions but databases from stores that are hacked into, a lot of them brick and mortar stores... The rest are mostly actual stolen cards.

This is an old reply but I thought it was pertinent. My aunt works in the credit card fraud department of Arvest and I asked her some questions about identity theft last Christmas and she said that a good 50% of their credit card fraud can be traced to people using their cards at restaurants where you give the card to someone and they use a magnetic device that reads everything off the card while walking to the register. She said that the funny thing is that in major cities it is actually far worse. Only about 5-10% of the fraud Arvest sees originates from anything online and a LOT of that isn't really online transactions but databases from stores that are hacked into, a lot of them brick and mortar stores... The rest are mostly actual stolen cards.

As someone who generally uses a credit card for any puchases over $10 that is scary. I knew it was possible to scan cards on the sly I didn't realize it was that prevalent. Did your aunt say what could be done to prevent that? I guess not using a card is the obvious answer but I don't like carrying a lot of cash. I need to do some research on this.

I spent twenty years in the credit card business working for companies like Visa, Wells Fargo, and some of the big oil companies. All of the major credit card issuers offer "100% Money Back" guarantees, backed by federal law that limit consumer liability to $50, that protects consumers from unauthorized use of their credit card on-line and everywhere else. The big banks like Citi, Bank of America, American Express, Wells Fargo, Chase, and all the other "top ten" card issuers waive the $50 limit.

Ask Arvest Bank if they waive the $50 liability limit imposed by federal law.

The big banks want you to use your card on-line, and don't hassle customers and make it easy to dispute unauthorized transactions - they just charge it back to the merchant. The small banks like Arvest don't have the resources, and can be stubbon about keeping the first $50.

Fraud happens, but it is very rare, about one-in-every-five million transactions, given the billions of transactions that happen every year. My recommendation is not to worry about using your credit card on-line or anywhere else. But, I never use my debit card at merchants on-line or where the card leaves my hand, since the laws are not as good in protecting you when you use cards tied to checking accounts.

Archived